#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

Just got back from the LHBS. Whew! Do I have sticker shock! Spent $65 on a fermentation bucket, 12# of DME, 1/2# of Cara40, and a pack of US-05, plus a few nicknacks. Damn, last time I bought stuff that would have been $25.

Super basic APA with that Citra I was talking about. 1.045 34 IBU.

Gonna spend tonight drinking beer and getting the freezers turned on and switched around.

Tomorrow night, we brew!

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Bet you're glad you didn't sell your brew system.  And what's up?  I thought hops bothered you too much

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

The hop thing is officially over.

I don't know what it was; it was definitely something real. But it's gone now. I haven't had beer in about two years they wasn't a Miller product in clear glass. But on vacation, I intended to buy a 4 pack of the New Glarus Berlinner but somebody put back a 4 pack of double IPA in the wrong place and I took that home instead. I wasn't about to throw it away, so I thought I'd drink one occasionally over the two weeks and live with the side effects. But nothing happened so I branched out into the Spotted Cow and now I've been drinking SNPA since I got home. Whatever sensitivity I had is gone. I'm stoked.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Dead simple extract APA to get you going again. Sub your Cara40 for the C60 in the recipe.

https://beerandwinej...inute-pale-ale/

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I don't know what it was; it was definitely something real. But it's gone now. I haven't had beer in about two years they wasn't a Miller product in clear glass. But on vacation, I intended to buy a 4 pack of the New Glarus Berlinner but somebody put back a 4 pack of double IPA in the wrong place and I took that home instead. I wasn't about to throw it away, so I thought I'd drink one occasionally over the two weeks and live with the side effects. But nothing happened so I branched out into the Spotted Cow and now I've been drinking SNPA since I got home. Whatever sensitivity I had is gone. I'm stoked.

That's good to hear.  When I was much younger Bud would give me a headache after 1.  Anything else no.  I figure it had to be the hops but who knows.  Have fun brewing tomorrow!

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

Dead simple extract APA to get you going again. Sub your Cara40 for the C60 in the recipe.
https://beerandwinej...inute-pale-ale/

That sounds good, except that I don't have enough Citra to get 35 IBU in fifteen minutes. Unless you all think I should use some Warrior from the 2005 harvest...

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

That's good to hear.  When I was much younger Bud would give me a headache after 1.  Anything else no.  I figure it had to be the hops but who knows.  Have fun brewing tomorrow!

Bud literally makes me upset to my stomach 

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

That sounds good, except that I don't have enough Citra to get 35 IBU in fifteen minutes. Unless you all think I should use some Warrior from the 2005 harvest...

got anything else?

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

Is 2005 Warrior the next freshest hop you have laying around?

Still, if you can get it close to 30IBU I'd bet you'll never know the difference.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

got anything else?

Sure, I've got a tragic amount of hops in that freezer. Pounds.  Liberty, Mt Hood, Willamette, Amarillo, Warrior, home-grown Glacier.  Centennial pellets, and what looks to be an entire pound of pellets that the label has fallen off so I don't know what they are. Problem is that they're all from 2008 timeframe, except for those two ounces of Citra I bought a couple years ago when I decided to try brewing again. (Obviously didn't happen.)  The Amarillo is leaf in its original Peterburough farms bag, never opened, but all the others have been opened and resealed.

Last Saturday I consolidated a bunch of old grain into a full 30 gallon trash can to take out to some friends' goats.  Two row, malted wheat and tons of specialties.  I'd guess over 100 lbs.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Sure, I've got a tragic amount of hops in that freezer. Pounds.  Liberty, Mt Hood, Willamette, Amarillo, Warrior, home-grown Glacier.  Centennial pellets, and what looks to be an entire pound of pellets that the label has fallen off so I don't know what they are. Problem is that they're all from 2008 timeframe, except for those two ounces of Citra I bought a couple years ago when I decided to try brewing again. (Obviously didn't happen.)  The Amarillo is leaf in its original Peterburough farms bag, never opened, but all the others have been opened and resealed.

Last Saturday I consolidated a bunch of old grain into a full 30 gallon trash can to take out to some friends' goats.  Two row, malted wheat and tons of specialties.  I'd guess over 100 lbs.

2008 is pretty old but I wouldn't give up on them without at least a smell. Leaf - I would dump them.  All I use now are pellets.  I know I'm using some at least 3+ years old and I'm happy with them.  But I'm not the hophead I was.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

So, you want the perlick's back😀

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

I saved one. :cheers:

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

I saved one. :cheers:

Good thinking!

#15 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Well, as I stated to prep for this, I realize that I have no way of cooling in the kitchen. So I guess tinnitus will be spent getting Big Yellow cleaned up and back in operation.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

Well, as I stated to prep for this, I realize that I have no way of cooling in the kitchen. So I guess tinnitus will be spent getting Big Yellow cleaned up and back in operation.

ear ringing?

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Excellent! Your system was one that got me started down the electric rabbit hole. It took me forever to get there but it finally happened.

#18 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

Excellent! Your system was one that got me started down the electric rabbit hole. It took me forever to get there but it finally happened.

I was one step behind him pretty much the whole way.  It certainly helped a lot.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47784 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Alright! I have the new element installed and leak tested. It heats water, including the 50% and 75% Xmas PWR. I've still got a lot of cleaning to do to get back to full function, but coils and QDs spent the night in strong starsan and are now soaking overnight in strong Oxyclean.

I think I'll do this extract batch with gravity only tomorrow instead of tackling hoses and pump cleaning.

I'm remembering all kinds of stuff I'd forgotten, and I'm kind of impressed with myself. ;)

#20 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111425 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

This happened to me too. I've been drinking IPA's and APA's with no "thick head" feeling. So weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users