• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Grain:

5lb Weyermann Pils

5lb Avangard Pils

0.5lb C-10

0.5 lb Weyermann pale wheat malt (not traditional, I know)

Hops:

0.5 oz Hallertau pellets, (3.8% AA), FWH

0.5 oz Magnum, whole (14.4% AA), 90-min boil

0.5 oz Hallertau, pellets (3.8% AA), 10-min boil

34/70

Beersmith 2 tells me this one weighs in at ~1.060, ~5 SRM, and ~31 IBU's for 5.5 gallons in the primary.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

I like your recipe. I don't think I've had Hoff Original, but the straight forwardness of this recipe is right up my alley. 34/70 is my go-to these days.

Is the C-10 bringing a little sweetness to the party?

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

You ever been to the brewery in Newport? I think I will be hitting it up tomorrow.

Edit-spelling

Edited by matt6150, 28 July 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I like your recipe. I don't think I've had Hoff Original, but the straight forwardness of this recipe is right up my alley. 34/70 is my go-to these days.

Is the C-10 bringing a little sweetness to the party?

Thanks, Brother Poptop.  I haven't made this one in a few years, but i figured it would be nice to have when preseason football starts in a few weeks.

And the C-10 might add a little sweetness, but I want a little bit of body on this beer. 

I mashed this one on the lower side (~149-150°F) for about 90 minutess, so the beer dries out a bit, but I'm hoping the C10 will protect the beer from getting too dry.

You ever been to the brewery in Newport? I think I will be hitting it up tomorrow.

Sadly, no, haven't been there yet.  Will get there someday.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:40 AM

Thanks, Brother Poptop.  I haven't made this one in a few years, but i figured it would be nice to have when preseason football starts in a few weeks.

And the C-10 might add a little sweetness, but I want a little bit of body on this beer. 

I mashed this one on the lower side (~149-150°F) for about 90 minutess, so the beer dries out a bit, but I'm hoping the C10 will protect the beer from getting too dry.

Sadly, no, haven't been there yet.  Will get there someday.

it sounds like you are looking for carapils more than something like C10.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:39 AM

Maybe carahell would work nice in here. 10l and adds some body.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

Maybe carahell would work nice in here. 10l and adds some body.

and it sounds like it's a tool of the devil so it must be good!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

I'll throw 4 ounces or so of Carahell into a helles when I make one. I know it's supposed to be all pilsner malt but I typically use a little Vienna and Munich 1 (12 ounces each) plus either Carahell, Carapils or Carafoam.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

I'll throw 4 ounces or so of Carahell into a helles when I make one. I know it's supposed to be all pilsner malt but I typically use a little Vienna and Munich 1 (12 ounces each) plus either Carahell, Carapils or Carafoam.

I've included some munich in my attempt at an ayinger munich helles clone.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

We went down to the big city last night and went kayaking on the Chicago River and afterwards we went to Gino's East River North (great pizza btw) and noticed a sign that said "Our new brewery is now open!" and when we walked inside there were sacks of Weyermann products there. They had something called LaSalle Street Light which was described as a helles. I ordered it and was not overly impressed. It was cloudy-ish and it lacked something. It was super soft and the hops were very low (which I suppose is authentic) but it seemed slightly estery and flabby. It occurred to me as I drank it that I probably hop my helles a little higher than is authentic... probably between 22 and 25 IBUs typically but that's how I prefer it. The other offerings were decent at best. My wife ordered a Belgian Pale Ale that I couldn't get past my nose because of the yeast character and then we ordered something called Broken English which was an EPA or ESB kind of thing. Really cloudy (wrong, IMO), estery, not smooth and just clunky-flabby. Maybe too much yeast bite, not sure.

Sorry for the threadjack... <_<

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

that's pretty bad.  if you are going to try to make german lagers those things should be clear.  same with an ESB.  it should be crystal clear and a beautiful ruby color.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

that's pretty bad.  if you are going to try to make german lagers those things should be clear.  same with an ESB.  it should be crystal clear and a beautiful ruby color.

I hope the NE trend is not moving on to other styles :)

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Gino's is a multi-location pizza place and I was surprised to see that they put a brewery into one of their locations. My daughter pointed out the Weyermann grains to me saying, "Dad look! You have that hanging in the bar!" and you could see the stainless fermenters through a big window. All of that is good but the beer itself was not that great and we had just been on the water kayaking for about 3 hours and it was warm and sunny and we were totally in the mood for beer... but it was a disappointment. It shows you that commercial beer is not guaranteed to be a superior product. I would rather have a beer that was good and not to style than a beer that is supposedly to style but not well-executed. A cloudy English ale is very unusual, IME. Getting back to helles... I notice a number of craft beer Helles these days whether I'm seeing it at a brewpub or at a bottle shop. The issue is that the beer can be tough to pull off because it's a balancing act. I feel like anyone can make helles that will be decent but to really get a nice helles you have to pay a lot of attention to the variables you're working with. Many of the craft versions I taste are "just fine" but not blow-your-skirt-up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users