#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Sneaking in a workday brewday tomorrow, a rough clone of Hofbrau Original Lager.

Grist will be mostly pils (Weyermann + Avangard), plus a little C-10 and wheat.  Not traditional, I know, but it's a rough clone.

Magnum for bittering, + Hallertau for FWH and 10-min additions, for a total IBU's of ~30.

Two new packets of 34/70 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Anyone else brewing this week?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Made a helles on Friday and there may be something this week but I think I have a full schedule this weekend so possibly not.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

Made a helles on Friday and there may be something this week but I think I have a full schedule this weekend so possibly not.

Weekday brewing is your friend.  :D

Schedule-permitting, of course.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Brewed Saturday morning.  Light one with rice again.  Bad storms moved through that night and the power was out until Sunday afternoon.  Wort went from 65 to almost 72 when the power kicked back on.  1272 - I assumed it was going to be toast.  Lots of folks were without power and I had no way to keep the conical cool.  Some are still out.  Guess I got lucky.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Weekday brewing is your friend.  :D

Schedule-permitting, of course.

I know. When my kids were younger I would get up at 4-5am and brew. In those days the weekends were crazier than the weekdays. I knew my serving kegs were getting light and it was confirmed. Keg of amber ale plus a keg of dark lager went down yesterday afternoon while I was smoking some ribs (and a cigar!). Now I have 2 empty kegs but there's an Amarillo-Citra pale ale and a Helles in primary and a Vienna Lager in a secondary. Still... I should make another beer before the weekend is up so maybe Wednesday morning or afternoon I will throw something together. I actually have to be at a customer's office at 5pm on Wednesday so maybe using the morning or afternoon is written in the stars! :D

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

I know. When my kids were younger I would get up at 4-5am and brew. In those days the weekends were crazier than the weekdays. I knew my serving kegs were getting light and it was confirmed. Keg of amber ale plus a keg of dark lager went down yesterday afternoon while I was smoking some ribs (and a cigar!). Now I have 2 empty kegs but there's an Amarillo-Citra pale ale and a Helles in primary and a Vienna Lager in a secondary. Still... I should make another beer before the weekend is up so maybe Wednesday morning or afternoon I will throw something together. I actually have to be at a customer's office at 5pm on Wednesday so maybe using the morning or afternoon is written in the stars! :D

Damn right it is.  Your serving kegs will thank you.  :D

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Okay, you talked me into it. I just put together another American Amber Ale similar to the one that just went down but I'm going to use up some single ounce packs of hops that have been hanging around. Pale Ale Malt, some British Crystal, Special B and Midnight Wheat, bittered with Nugget and then in the last 15 minutes an ounce of Willamette, an ounce of Mt. Hood, an ounce of Glacier and an ounce of Crystal. 50 IBUs. 1056. Boom. Wednesday morning (or afternoon) brewday... then go to work. :D

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Okay, you talked me into it. I just put together another American Amber Ale similar to the one that just went down but I'm going to use up some single ounce packs of hops that have been hanging around. Pale Ale Malt, some British Crystal, Special B and Midnight Wheat, bittered with Nugget and then in the last 15 minutes an ounce of Willamette, an ounce of Mt. Hood, an ounce of Glacier and an ounce of Crystal. 50 IBUs. 1056. Boom. Wednesday morning (or afternoon) brewday... then go to work. :D

Excellent.  :frank:

NFL training camp starts soon, and you/we will need liquid refreshment for those riveting, roster-deciding games, right?

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

I'm hoping to brew this weekend.  If it is nice out, may consider a Friday evening brew session.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Knocked out a Chimay'ish Red sort of thing this past Sunday. With that in the fermenter and 3 relatively full kegs, I'm good. Next on deck another Pale Lager but that's a couple weeks out.

#11 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Today's brew session got bumped to tomorrow.  NBD.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Today's brew session got bumped to tomorrow.  NBD.

I'm going into hyper brew mode. I am in the process of making a 2308 starter right now. I'm going to keg two beers tomorrow (an Amarillo-Citra Pale Ale and a Vienna Lager) and then I'm going to brew something (Amber Ale probably) on Thursday morning or afternoon and then on Friday this 2308 should be ready and I will make a clone of Two Women (German Country Lager) or this Copper Lager thing I have drawn up. Having a party on Saturday and I'm getting woefully short on beer and the party won't help! :D

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

Spur of the moment. This is going down tonight. Probably be up late getting it done.

IBU 41

SRM 5

78% 2-Row

20% Flaked Wheat

2% Honey Malt

Apollo @30

120g 2:1 Galaxy:Nelson 160F hopstand 

150g 2:1 Galaxy Nelson Dry Hop

WY1450

#14 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Too hot and too much work around here to brew.     Which is not good as inventory is getting dangerously low.    Got the fixin's for a weissbier and a festbier, but probably not 'til next weekend. 

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Just knocked this out with a quick, chill brewday. I had the starter of 2308 spinning and it was looking active last night so I squeezed this in. Started about 8:30, done by noon. My version of New Glarus Two Women which is described as a German Country Lager. It's not unlike a festbier and it comes out really nicely with 2308. Cheers.

twowomen.png

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Should be delicious.

Are you vacationing up here this year?

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Should be delicious.

Are you vacationing up here this year?

No. Too many variables with the kids and their summer jobs. Daughter working for the park district, son #1 doing an engineering internship and son #2 with football and water polo practices everyday. Plus... we would have to arrange a cabin pretty far in advance so we couldn't get it on the schedule this year. It will happen again eventually. Cheers!

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

No. Too many variables with the kids and their summer jobs. Daughter working for the park district, son #1 doing an engineering internship and son #2 with football and water polo practices everyday. Plus... we would have to arrange a cabin pretty far in advance so we couldn't get it on the schedule this year. It will happen again eventually. Cheers!

Ah got it, just curious. I thought someone in the family owned a place.

#19 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

I have ingredients and everything else but

1t68hv.jpg

So much rain that my dehumidifier is running constantly, raised the temp to 76.  Need a fermentation chamber.  

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Got a starter of 1450 going.  Planning on my house APA tomorrow with a slight change in hops.  Plan to just go with Citra,Mosaic and Simcoe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users