Photo
- - - - -

Gelatin question - how much is too much?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I ask as I bought a new gram scale the other day, (0.001 gram resolution), so now I can weigh out mash salts, gelatin, etc., and it got me thinking:

Is 1 packet for a 5-gal batch too much gelatin?

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

I typically use half a pack for most batches but found with 34/70 in particular I do two doses half pack each.... Half pack half cup water works for me.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

I have a batch of Dort to keg next week, and 34/70 was the yeast, so this will be a good test to see if 1/2 a pack of gel will do the job.

Thank you for the feedback, Brother Poptop.

Edited by Bklmt2000, 16 June 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Yea, feel it out. If your Dort has been lagering as-is for a while, a small dose might be enough. I think everyone has their sweet spot amount as I'm sure you'll find out here.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Half a pack? Is this from the grocery store?

To the OP: I don't think there *IS* a too much. I get some water in a bowl with a fitted lid, pour the gel granules in there (which is probably around 1 tbsp.), let it dissolve/bloom for 10 minutes or so, heat it and add it to cold, flat beer in the keg. I don't measure it but I think the directions say ½ tsp for 5 gallons so I'm using more than I should but I like the results. My gel solution has had really good results lately which is why I'll be watching the Biofine beers very carefully. I am kegging a Pils this afternoon and will be hitting it with Biofine tomorrow morning and that will be a good test. Cheers.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Half a pack? Is this from the grocery store?

To the OP: I don't think there *IS* a too much. I get some water in a bowl with a fitted lid, pour the gel granules in there (which is probably around 1 tbsp.), let it dissolve/bloom for 10 minutes or so, heat it and add it to cold, flat beer in the keg. I don't measure it but I think the directions say ½ tsp for 5 gallons so I'm using more than I should but I like the results. My gel solution has had really good results lately which is why I'll be watching the Biofine beers very carefully. I am kegging a Pils this afternoon and will be hitting it with Biofine tomorrow morning and that will be a good test. Cheers.

Why the wait?  It is better to add it to the keg and rack on top of it so it gets mixed up.  If you do not you will need to add it to the keg and shake it up.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Why the wait?  It is better to add it to the keg and rack on top of it so it gets mixed up.  If you do not you will need to add it to the keg and shake it up.

I thought we agreed it was better to add it cold. My pils is just sitting on my basement floor right now at room temp and will be kegged this afternoon, chilled overnight and THEN the clarifier would be added. That's how I've been using the gel solution... cold. Should I be adding the biofine at room temp when I transfer to the keg?

Sorry for the thread derailment.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

I thought we agreed it was better to add it cold. My pils is just sitting on my basement floor right now at room temp and will be kegged this afternoon, chilled overnight and THEN the clarifier would be added. That's how I've been using the gel solution... cold. Should I be adding the biofine at room temp when I transfer to the keg?

Sorry for the thread derailment.

Add it when you transfer.  That is what I was told to do and what I have always done with excellent results.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

1/2t. gelatin to 1/3c. water is what I have used with great results.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Add it when you transfer.  That is what I was told to do and what I have always done with excellent results.

Back in the days of secondary I would add the gel solution to the secondary and rack on top so the beer and gel would mix better. But at that point the beer was at room temp so I switched over to adding it cold. As a test, I'll add the biofine to the keg and rack the room temp pils on top of it, chill, carb and then check it. If it's good, then good. If it's not I could always hit it with gel but I certainly don't want to be using both on a regular basis. I'd like to use the biofine the proper way and put it to bed. Cheers and thanks.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

1 TBS is close to have an envelope as I sit here at the office and visualize it... I add it when the batch is very cold either in the corny or the fermenter, and that part was based on popular consensus here.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:09 AM

So I used Biofine for the first time on Saturday when I kegged my Budvar Lager. The beer was around 40F. Biofine's label suggests adding 1/4t. and up to a couple T's if necessary. That is a wide delta. So because the Budvar refused to drop after 3 weeks, I shot a dart and used 3t's adding to the keg and racking on top, swirling the keg and hitting it with gas. Last night, giving this batch some generous time, the first 8-10 ounces was sludge. The next pour was still cloudy. I thought the Biofine would have cleared the batch by now.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

So I used Biofine for the first time on Saturday when I kegged my Budvar Lager. The beer was around 40F. Biofine's label suggests adding 1/4t. and up to a couple T's if necessary. That is a wide delta. So because the Budvar refused to drop after 3 weeks, I shot a dart and used 3t's adding to the keg and racking on top, swirling the keg and hitting it with gas. Last night, giving this batch some generous time, the first 8-10 ounces was sludge. The next pour was still cloudy. I thought the Biofine would have cleared the batch by now.

I use 1 tablespoon for slightly cloudy beers and 2 tablespoons for cloudy beers.  I never use teaspoons.  It seems everyone seems to have results that are different than mine with biofine.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:03 AM

I use 1 tablespoon for slightly cloudy beers and 2 tablespoons for cloudy beers.  I never use teaspoons.  It seems everyone seems to have results that are different than mine with biofine.

At least you're providing a method that works - THANK YOU. 2T's would have likely been my sweet spot. WY2000 is one cloudy mofo.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:28 AM

At least you're providing a method that works - THANK YOU. 2T's would have likely been my sweet spot. WY2000 is one cloudy mofo.

Before 2T Biofine

17434841_10156164182754657_7611558570592

After 2T biofine

17855141_10156211553729657_1661722077723

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

Biofine has worked great for me. I dose it just as you mentioned above. 

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

I use 1/2 tsp gelatin then heat seal the end of the pack with my foodsaver for use on the next batch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users