#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

Gonna do a German pils using Mecca Grade Pelton malt.  Also using Accumash for the first test.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Gonna do a German pils using Mecca Grade Pelton malt.  Also using Accumash for the first test.

not a bad idea for a product if you need to use RO water anyway.  how much does it cost per 5 gal batch?

#43 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Keep us updated on how that turns out. Their malt names are so hipsteriffic you may have to wear skinny jeans and ironically smoke a pipe to brew with it. :lol:

#44 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

This weekend, im finally going to take my 10 gallon system for its first brew day. Making an Oktoberfest, and going to split the batch between wlp820 and wlp029; one batch for now, and the other batch for the fall.

#45 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Finally getting around to the pils.  Using the Grainfather for a step mash.  Using Brewtan B and Accumash, as well as the Mecca Grade Pelton.

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Plan to do a El Dorado/Chinook wheatish beer Friday after work and if all things work out a Helles or Pilsner early next week once a fermenter gets freed up.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hoppy blonde this afternoon. Pale alt malt, wheat, Patagonia 2-row, carapils, Nugget to bitter and 4 ounces of Santiam in the last 10 minutes, 1056. Brewday starts in about 3 hours.

#48 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

No brewing this weekend but need a muse for the following weekend. Not sure if I want to make a lager or an ale, mild or APA'ish, yellow and bright or crystal'd and amber.... Indecision may or may not be my problem.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

kegging hoppy American wheat beer tomorrow :D

#50 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

I'll get something in - off until 7/5.  Maybe another 25% rice beer for the end of summer.

#51 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Super smooth brewday. I racked the prior beer to a keg earlier in the week and harvested the 1056 and threw it in a flask and into the fridge. So today was a simple, straightforward brewday and with the fast & furious 30-minute boil... it was quick! Started at 3 and ended at 6:30 and I have a nice hoppy blonde in primary at the moment. Cheers peeps.

#52 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thinking ahead to next week; a Pacific Jade, Cascade, Summer Aid :) Anyone use the Pacific Jades and if so, what's your thoughts?

#53 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Thinking ahead to next week; a Pacific Jade, Cascade, Summer Aid :) Anyone use the Pacific Jades and if so, what's your thoughts?

They were popular for awhile and a number of brewers here used them. I forget their character... clean bittering but also used as an aroma hop for peppery, citrusy notes?

EDIT: I looked it up and see that it's a cross between New Zealand "First Choice" hops (a relative of Cluster) and a Saaz male. Interesting.

#54 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

Definitely interesting, just using caution to a 5 gallon batch. Matt sent me a few Pac Jade IPA's and they were really good.

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

If you're squeamish, use them for bittering. If you're more adventurous, mix them with something else late in the boil. If you're total gung-ho about it, burst that sucker with PJ with unbridled enthusiasm! :D

#56 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Brewed a simple wheat beer on Wednesday, which will meet some raspberry extract in the keg.

A guilty pleasure, but tasty when summer hits.

#57 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

no clue when I'll brew again, to many post moving chores/clusterfecks

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Brewed a simple wheat beer on Wednesday, which will meet some raspberry extract in the keg.

A guilty pleasure, but tasty when summer hits.

I do this with McCormick raspberry extract that you can get from the grocery store. I actually have some of that in bottles right now. The extract is all-natural and one ounce in the keg is just right for a 5-gallon batch.

#59 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

I think the rasp extract I use is LD Carlson(?); whatever the LHBS had on the shelf.

I've heard good things about the McCormick extracts; might have to try one sometime. 

#60 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

I think the rasp extract I use is LD Carlson(?); whatever the LHBS had on the shelf.

I've heard good things about the McCormick extracts; might have to try one sometime.

The homebrewer's extract made me look at other ones. Many of the McCormick ones are artificial which I would avoid but the McCormick raspberry stuff is natural and smells and tastes very good. This is the stuff that people use to make raspberry brownies and stuff... really tasty. I also looked at a place called OliveNation which has almost every flavor of extract that you could imagine. I ordered raspberry and blackberry. They arrived and smelled a little off. I didn't use them and I still have them. The McCormick stuff is solid. There is a thread around here somewhere that I started for RASPBERRY ALE. Good luck with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users