#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

I saw this on Ritebrew's site and added a pack to my order. I like their M84 Czech lager yeast but it has a few issues. Nevertheless, it tastes really good to me and is worth the hassle of those issues(really enjoying a neofiltro CZ pils now due to the yeast character).

Anyways, I plan on several batches with it and I'll update as they evolve.

M76BavarianLagerDryYeast.jpg

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Please report back when you have used it. My opinion on dry yeast has changed a bit (thanks again on the S-189 suggestion) and if I could go "all-dry-all-the-time" I might just do that. I seem to remember you saying that some of this MG yeast required a little extra work to get going. Do I remember that right?

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Please report back when you have used it. My opinion on dry yeast has changed a bit (thanks again on the S-189 suggestion) and if I could go "all-dry-all-the-time" I might just do that. I seem to remember you saying that some of this MG yeast required a little extra work to get going. Do I remember that right?

Yeah. I think it has a low cell count per pack. I'd guess about 1/2 of W34 based on what it does when a new pack is pitched. Also does not flocc well. It takes awhile at 32F to drop out. The M84 has a distinctive flavor and I like it.

I bottled a few bombers from the Prostejov Svetly batch I brewed, bottle conditioned them and recently started chilling them. They are hazy from the suspended yeast but damned if they don't taste better than the gelled and lagered main batch due to the yeast flavor.

#4 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

I just brewed a Vienna lager with this yeast. I made a starter to hedge my bet of a low cell count; didn't show signs of fermentation until 24 hours after pitching at 54 degrees. Largered at 32 degrees for 3 weeks. its been in the kegerator for a month now, and its slowly clearing up.

Other then that, its a damn fine yeast. I single decocted this beer, and was a little heavy handed with the hops, all hallertau. In my expirance, its a malt forword yeast, but donest block the hops completely. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:00 AM

I just brewed a Vienna lager with this yeast. I made a starter to hedge my bet of a low cell count; didn't show signs of fermentation until 24 hours after pitching at 54 degrees. Largered at 32 degrees for 3 weeks. its been in the kegerator for a month now, and its slowly clearing up.

Other then that, its a damn fine yeast. I single decocted this beer, and was a little heavy handed with the hops, all hallertau. In my expirance, its a malt forword yeast, but donest block the hops completely. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

Sounds like it's going to be a tasty beer. Thanks for the review. They are scarce on this yeast. Your experience mimics what I have had with M84. I always use a starter and tell people to make one if using MJ yeast. I wish MJ yeasts flocced a little better but the results are worth the wait for me. Gel doesn't seem to affect the yeast precipitating. I wonder if one of the other fining agents would help.

Anyone have experience with biofine on yeast precipitation?

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:34 AM

Sounds like it's going to be a tasty beer. Thanks for the review. They are scarce on this yeast. Your experience mimics what I have had with M84. I always use a starter and tell people to make one if using MJ yeast. I wish MJ yeasts flocced a little better but the results are worth the wait for me. Gel doesn't seem to affect the yeast precipitating. I wonder if one of the other fining agents would help.

Anyone have experience with biofine on yeast precipitation?

Biofine has worked well on yeast for me.  I have only used it on one MJ yeast in an APA though.  I will give it a shot if I ever get to brew with the M-84 I have.

I have found that biofine is much better than gelatin and I have never had any hop stripping from it.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:33 AM

My only experience is with M31 Belgian and about 6 weeks later gel'ed and in the keg it's still cloudy. The flavor of this blonde is definitely yeast driven and very flavorful. But the whole flocc issue makes me apprehensive to try other MJ's

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 07 June 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Biofine has worked well on yeast for me.  I have only used it on one MJ yeast in an APA though.  I will give it a shot if I ever get to brew with the M-84 I have.

I have found that biofine is much better than gelatin and I have never had any hop stripping from it.

I need to go this route. Thanks

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

I need to go this route. Thanks

I have wondered about it too. Where do you pick it up? I have never seen it locally available at my 3-4 LHBSs.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

Williams brewing has it.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

Looks like MoreBeer has it too... in a small 1 oz bottle or a 1-LITER BOTTLE! :D

From their site:

A clarifier that has received attention on The Brewing Network and is used by several of our commercial brewer friends. While beers cloud for different reasons and there is not one silver bullet to clear all beers, Biofine has proven effective in most situations. It is an easy way to help ensure clarity without having to filter.

Biofine strips out all remaining yeast in 24-48 hours! Speeds up the aging and clarify process by 2-3 weeks! You'll find a layer of darker yeast that settles on top of your yeast bed in your fermenter. This layer is thicker than normal and acts as a blanket. This settling process avoids your yeast from being disturbed as you move your carboy. Biofine brings out maltiness and accentuates esters produced by yeast.

Biofine Clear is a purified colloidal solution of silicic acid (SiO2) in water that has been specially formulated for the rapid sedimentation of yeast and other haze forming particles in beer. (Vegan friendly - no animal products) Shelf life is 24 months from date of manufacture, unopened.

Dosage Rates: 1/4 Tbsp (3 ml or 1/10oz) to as much as 2 Tbsp (31 ml or 1 fluid oz.) per 5 gallon batch of beer.

Store in cool, dry conditions above 41 degrees F and do not allow the product to freeze.

Some beer styles don't react with certain dose rates. You may have to add more to have an effect. We recommend starting small and increasing your dosage rates once per day until clarification takes place

What about that part where it says it accentuates esters produced by yeast? Not sure I like the sound of that. Also, Drez, when you use it, do you add it to the keg when the beer is cold but before it's carbed or are there other times when it can be used? How has it worked the best for you?

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

drezz baby, spill the beans please

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

Looks like MoreBeer has it too... in a small 1 oz bottle or a 1-LITER BOTTLE! :D

From their site:

A clarifier that has received attention on The Brewing Network and is used by several of our commercial brewer friends. While beers cloud for different reasons and there is not one silver bullet to clear all beers, Biofine has proven effective in most situations. It is an easy way to help ensure clarity without having to filter.

Biofine strips out all remaining yeast in 24-48 hours! Speeds up the aging and clarify process by 2-3 weeks! You'll find a layer of darker yeast that settles on top of your yeast bed in your fermenter. This layer is thicker than normal and acts as a blanket. This settling process avoids your yeast from being disturbed as you move your carboy. Biofine brings out maltiness and accentuates esters produced by yeast.

Biofine Clear is a purified colloidal solution of silicic acid (SiO2) in water that has been specially formulated for the rapid sedimentation of yeast and other haze forming particles in beer. (Vegan friendly - no animal products) Shelf life is 24 months from date of manufacture, unopened.

Dosage Rates: 1/4 Tbsp (3 ml or 1/10oz) to as much as 2 Tbsp (31 ml or 1 fluid oz.) per 5 gallon batch of beer.

Store in cool, dry conditions above 41 degrees F and do not allow the product to freeze.

Some beer styles don't react with certain dose rates. You may have to add more to have an effect. We recommend starting small and increasing your dosage rates once per day until clarification takes place

What about that part where it says it accentuates esters produced by yeast? Not sure I like the sound of that. Also, Drez, when you use it, do you add it to the keg when the beer is cold but before it's carbed or are there other times when it can be used? How has it worked the best for you?

Williams has it in 4oz if yo do not want to go the L size. I have the liter jug.

drezz baby, spill the beans please

I bought a liter of it https://www.homebrew...ter_p_5749.html

Williams brewing is your best option if you do not want that much.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:27 AM

Missed this part.  I add it to the serving keg as I am kegging.  My beer is cold and partially carbonated at the time of kegging, just how my process is.  I have found this to work fast, a couple of hours and you will have clear beer.  I also have not found any loss of hop aroma or any other side-effect.  For a low hope beer I will use up to 1t and for really cloudy/hoppy beers I want clear I will use 2T.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Good stuff. I will add that a gel solution added to the cold, uncarbed beer in the keg has been working nicely for me lately. But I'm always open to anything that may help with clarity. My guess is that the rest of the process comes into play too.... good pH control, whirfloc, possibly brewtan, etc. plus the addition of gel or biofine and you would get sparkling beer. I will probably order some biofine and take it for a test drive. Cheers.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

Good stuff. I will add that a gel solution added to the cold, uncarbed beer in the keg has been working nicely for me lately. But I'm always open to anything that may help with clarity. My guess is that the rest of the process comes into play too.... good pH control, whirfloc, possibly brewtan, etc. plus the addition of gel or biofine and you would get sparkling beer. I will probably order some biofine and take it for a test drive. Cheers.

I agree with all that.  I will say I like the ease of use of biofine over gel for me.  Sanatize a spoon and dump it in is all I do.  No heating water and letting the stuff bloom and dump in.  For me this just works but like you said it is only part of the process.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

I agree with all that.  I will say I like the ease of use of biofine over gel for me.  Sanatize a spoon and dump it in is all I do.  No heating water and letting the stuff bloom and dump in.  For me this just works but like you said it is only part of the process.

Right. Meanwhile there are always brewers out there who say that they use no fining agents of any kind and always end up with filtered-looking beer... does not compute, at least for me.

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

I found it last night on Amazon for $21 a liter. Williamswarn brand. The MJ yeast resists gel precipitation for some reason. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this stuff. Thanks Drez

httpss://www.amazon.com/WilliamsWarn-Clarification-Agent-Home-Brewing/dp/B00N37FIRM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496961587&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=silicon+dioxide+beer+clarifier

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53922 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

I found it last night on Amazon for $21 a liter. Williamswarn brand. The MJ yeast resists gel precipitation for some reason. I'm ready to pull the trigger on this stuff. Thanks Drez

httpss://www.amazon.com/WilliamsWarn-Clarification-Agent-Home-Brewing/dp/B00N37FIRM/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496961587&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=silicon+dioxide+beer+clarifier

Thanks Chils. I just ordered the liter of clarifier along with 2 packs of MJ's M76 Bavarian Lager yeast from Amazon! Woot! I never thought to look at Amazon for brewing supplies.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hope it works as good for you as it does for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users