102 replies to this topic

#81 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

The wild thing is that there are still people out there who insist you have to boil a beer with a lot of pilsner in the grist for 90 minutes. Brewing since 1999 and making many, many beers with a substantial amount of pilsner malt, I never boiled 90 minutes. Some people might say that 60 minutes is too short of a boil time with pilsner malt so to tell them that you not only don't do 90 but you don't even do 60... only 30!! You can actually see the moment that you break their brain. :lol: That's a pretty WIDE difference but I'm here to tell you that my "mostly pils" beers are just fine with a 30. The only other consideration is that there may be people who are overly sensitive to DMS and may pick it up. I have had many friends, neighbors and family members drink my 30m gold lagers and they suck it down and say it's great. I realize it's free beer but still... :D

#82 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

only reason to boil longer now, is to increase SG it seems

#83 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

only reason to boil longer now, is to increase SG it seems

Well, melanoidin development too but I've lost interest in a lot of those beers..

#84 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Well, melanoidin development too but I've lost interest in a lot of those beers..

good point

my few 30 minute brews have been slightly lighter in color

#85 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Yep. I back when I switched to 30 min boil I also reduced my boil intensity slightly and this has definitely been the case.

#86 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

good point

Easy enough to fix with the grain bill.

#87 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Agree with all of the above. I made some pale ales where the color leaned more towards a Czech Pilsner but I don't consider it a drawback... just a data point. If 6 ounces of CaraRuby got me [here] and now I need 8 ounces, so be it.

#88 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Yep. I back when I switched to 30 min boil I also reduced my boil intensity slightly and this has definitely been the case.

I recently started trying to boil a little more gently. the propane savings is nice.

#89 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Easy enough to fix with the grain bill.

too cheap for that

#90 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

too cheap for that

if the issue is really just the color add a dash of midnight wheat. that's nearly free.

#91 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

if the issue is really just the color add a dash of midnight wheat. that's nearly free.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I steep just a smidge on my last NEIPA and it worked well.

#92 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking. I steep just a smidge on my last NEIPA and it worked well.

derp, I thought these were in reference to the gravity and melanoiden development 

#93 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

derp, I thought these were in reference to the gravity and melanoiden development

I figure the savings in propane does a reasonable job of canceling out the extra pound of malt.

I can't do much for melanoidens unless you think aromatic or similar does that job.

Edited by pickle_rick, 15 October 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#94 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

I figure the savings in propane does a reasonable job of canceling out the extra pound of malt.

I can't do much for melanoidens unless you think aromatic or similar does that job.

I think it's negligible overall, and the 30 minutes saved wins

#95 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

I think it's negligible overall, and the 30 minutes saved wins

When I couple it with a 30 minute mash I really like it.  Wish I could ditch the whirlpool but I'm sold on pellet hops.

#96 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

The wild thing is that there are still people out there who insist you have to boil a beer with a lot of pilsner in the grist for 90 minutes. Brewing since 1999 and making many, many beers with a substantial amount of pilsner malt, I never boiled 90 minutes. Some people might say that 60 minutes is too short of a boil time with pilsner malt so to tell them that you not only don't do 90 but you don't even do 60... only 30!! You can actually see the moment that you break their brain. :lol: That's a pretty WIDE difference but I'm here to tell you that my "mostly pils" beers are just fine with a 30. The only other consideration is that there may be people who are overly sensitive to DMS and may pick it up. I have had many friends, neighbors and family members drink my 30m gold lagers and they suck it down and say it's great. I realize it's free beer but still... :D

I just had this experience.  People spouting off from this book or that book that you must boil for 90 or your beer is ruined.  I explained 30 minute boil with all pils but just got more push back.  I guess it is easier to just quote from a book than to try the experiment for your self.  Me, I will enjoy my time saving!

#97 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

I just had this experience.  People spouting off from this book or that book that you must boil for 90 or your beer is ruined.  I explained 30 minute boil with all pils but just got more push back.  I guess it is easier to just quote from a book than to try the experiment for your self.  Me, I will enjoy my time saving!

Someone who decides that they want to argue that point (or any point) will usually employ something like Well you must not have a very developed palate or else they'll say, Maybe you can't detect DMS in your beers or whatever they have to say to make you feel like your beer is inferior. They'll say, Hey man, drink whatever you like and then snicker behind their back. If someone criticized the 30m boil without trying it themselves, I would suggest they try it on a beer they're familiar with. If they don't try it or they DO try it and say the beer came out bad... then hey man, maybe you're just a bad brewer! :lol: My 30m beers are not just great but the seem better than my 60m beers in terms of head formation and maybe even clarity.

#98 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

As someone who is writing his 4th homebrewing book, take it from me...homebrew authors don't know shit.  Too often they simply parrot the conventional wisdom without bothering to find out if it's true.

#99 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

So I posted over on AHA and I was wondering about the change in the head formation and stability on my beers lately. I had posted (as an example) this pic I took yesterday.

americanlagerbatch2017.jpg

I was wondering if something I have been doing differently (water mods, pH control, BTB, etc) was responsible for the better head formation. Martin responded over there with this:

Drez or anyone else... have you heard of this before? I responded by saying that I had switched over to a 30m boil time for my last 15 batches.

Ken,  How about this foam!

23915831_10157070232964657_6572622949418

#100 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

foam mountain!

0 user(s) are reading this topic