Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

What, the rest of us are chopped liver

Right? Jeesh...

Shaggaroo, these guys are just being weenies. You don't have to take that from them! :lol:

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Shaggaroo, these guys are just being weenies. You don't have to take that from them! :lol:

This is true, actually.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

Okay, just finished up with the boil. The kettle is sitting in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. The 30m boil is wild. You add bittering hops and 15m later you're adding your flavor hops. It's like you're fast-forwarding and I love it. The wort looks and smells great, the hops I picked up from one of my LHBS looked really fresh, vibrant and green and smelled great going into the boil and my yeast is ready to roll. I have high hopes for this beer and I would like to see that the 30m boil made *NO* difference other than saving time and energy. Cheers.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

Okay, just finished up with the boil. The kettle is sitting in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. The 30m boil is wild. You add bittering hops and 15m later you're adding your flavor hops. It's like you're fast-forwarding and I love it. The wort looks and smells great, the hops I picked up from one of my LHBS looked really fresh, vibrant and green and smelled great going into the boil and my yeast is ready to roll. I have high hopes for this beer and I would like to see that the 30m boil made *NO* difference other than saving time and energy. Cheers.

Nice!! Glad you tried it and hope it works out good for you.  You are correct though, you need to have everything ready to go as there is not much time to get things together during the boil.

#25 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

Nice!! Glad you tried it and hope it works out good for you.  You are correct though, you need to have everything ready to go as there is not much time to get things together during the boil.

With wife and son and family commitments on the weekends, I strive to complete my brew morning by 11. Yesterday I was shutting the garage door at 10. All ingredients, water, malt etc is prepared during the week and I've been mashing in around 8-830 the night before. Each batch seems to get more simple. Mis en place is key.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

I always filter water and measure out grains ahead of time and I'm typically very organized. But on some batches I am also transferring beers from primary to keg and that usually happens as soon as the boil starts. I may now have to hold off until after the boil when the wort is chilling further... there is usually a 20-30 minute break in there.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

I always filter water and measure out grains ahead of time and I'm typically very organized. But on some batches I am also transferring beers from primary to keg and that usually happens as soon as the boil starts. I may now have to hold off until after the boil when the wort is chilling further... there is usually a 20-30 minute break in there.

I never do any transfers while I am brewing.  Brewing time is for brewing, the only thing I will do is measure out the hops during the boil.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

I never do any transfers while I am brewing.  Brewing time is for brewing, the only thing I will do is measure out the hops during the boil.

I do it this way because I don't "save" yeast... I harvest it and pitch it the same day. I may be able to do the transfer during the mash as long as I was prepared for it. I'll be trying this again next weekend... I have an amber ale coming out of primary and going into a keg and I'll be making a pale ale (I think) so I'll noodle with the timing of it.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

I do it this way because I don't "save" yeast... I harvest it and pitch it the same day. I may be able to do the transfer during the mash as long as I was prepared for it. I'll be trying this again next weekend... I have an amber ale coming out of primary and going into a keg and I'll be making a pale ale (I think) so I'll noodle with the timing of it.

I hear you.  I tend to transfer the night before and then throw the slurry in sanitized ball jars and just use one on brewday.  We all have our techniques that work for us!

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

I've done it once or twice.  just during the mash.  it's a lot of work for one day in my opinion.  I also feel more likely to make mistakes b/c my brain is thinking about more stuff and I'm rushing a little bit.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

Just a quick note: These 30m boils are the best thing to happen to brewing since yeast. Sincerely. Fast and furious, time & energy-saving and the beers have been great so far. I have sampled a pilsner and a pale ale and both have been excellent. I notice that this pale ale is a tad more pale which is probably understandable with the shorter boil time. I may have to make an adjustment on that part.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Just a quick note: These 30m boils are the best thing to happen to brewing since yeast. Sincerely. Fast and furious, time & energy-saving and the beers have been great so far. I have sampled a pilsner and a pale ale and both have been excellent. I notice that this pale ale is a tad more pale which is probably understandable with the shorter boil time. I may have to make an adjustment on that part.

Honestly, I keep looking for the downside. Haven't found it yet.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

See! You should have tried a long time ago! :)

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

Only downside would be a very small drop in overall efficiency but I personally don't care.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

See! You should have tried a long time ago! :)

You have posted pics of your 30m beers and said they were great but for some reason old rules are hard to break. I swear, we have started to accumulate a number of wild, against-the-grain (pun intended) processes here and when I talk to people at the LHBS or local brewing buds and mention this stuff, they look at me like I have three eyes. 30 minute boils! HA! I hope you like DMS! I hope you like cloudy beer! Between the 30m boil and the quick lager method, I feel like I'm cheating! :lol:

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

I had more of this Crystal Pale Ale this afternoon and my take is that I got less bitterness in this batch than I'm used to. It's not a huge issue (for me) but I seem to notice it. It might actually be a good tool if you were looking to make a smooooth beer with less bitterness. The late hops are coming through exactly as I would expect but there is less bite in this beer. I saw that Denny mentioned upping his bittering additions by more than you might expect so maybe that's what happened here. So the bitterness issue and the color issue I mentioned. This pale ale actually looks like it could be a pilsner. The 5-6 ounces of CaraRuby would ordinarily produce a bit more color than this.

#37 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

Now to try a no boil Ken!

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Now to try a no boil Ken!

baby steps!!

#39 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12399 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

How do the no-boil batches work?  I mean, isn't the boil necessary to kill off any nasties in the wort so you're not worrying about something taking over before the yeast getting to work?

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

How do the no-boil batches work?  I mean, isn't the boil necessary to kill off any nasties in the wort so you're not worrying about something taking over before the yeast getting to work?

Not really.  You can bring the wort up to about 170-180 to kill off what you need to and then just add  your whirlpool hops and call it good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users