57 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

So I waited very long to use this Omega Bayern lager yeast which has a date of July 2016 on it.  I'm going to make a starter for it later today and if it looks and/or smells wrong, I also have some 2308 and 2278 standing by and both are newer.  The question is... what to make.  I have a keg of helles and a keg of cream ale in my on-deck fridge and also two kegs of dark lager (similar but different recipes).  I suppose it depends on the yeast but supposing the Omega is okay (which is Augustiner's yeast), what should I make?  A pils?  I don't really want to do a helles or a dunkel since I have these other beers.  Give me some ideas.

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:15 AM

O-fest.  Bock.  Pils would be nice.

Any American-slanted lager would be good, too.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

The podcast I listened to on Czech Pils talked about the Augustiner yeast as one to try so I would think something Czech would be nice or a Vienna lager.

You could just go crazy and do an IPL!

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

Ofest or Vienna sound like winners and a pils or "Czech Lager" could be nice too... I'm envisioning pils, some Vienna, some firm bitterness from something like Magnum and then a bunch of late Hallertau, Tettnanger or something along those lines.  I don't think I have any Saaz but I could get some.  Maybe a 30-minute boil too!?  Okay, now I'm just talking crazy.  :D  Thanks gang.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Ofest or Vienna sound like winners and a pils or "Czech Lager" could be nice too... I'm envisioning pils, some Vienna, some firm bitterness from something like Magnum and then a bunch of late Hallertau, Tettnanger or something along those lines.  I don't think I have any Saaz but I could get some.  Maybe a 30-minute boil too!?  Okay, now I'm just talking crazy.  :D  Thanks gang.

No reason to not do a 30 minute boil!

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

I'm loving the snot out of making and drinking Viennas.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

The podcast I listened to on Czech Pils talked about the Augustiner yeast as one to try so I would think something Czech would be nice or a Vienna lager.

You could just go crazy and do an IPL!

is augustiner the yeast ken mentioned in post #1 or is that some other brand?  is it a WL or wyeast product?  I always enjoy trying new lager yeasts.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

No reason to not do a 30 minute boil!

Because of you I do 40 minute boils. Don't ask me why I picked 40... I just did.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

I'm loving the snot out of making and drinking Viennas.

Me too. Especially since it's a style that's very hard to find commercially. American breweries who attempt it seem to whiff, many European breweries have given up on it and Mexico's versions (which I like) are toned down to meet the climate and tastes of the locals who drink it. So you have to make it yourself. It's a little too close to two kegs that I have on hand now so I might do a Czech Lager, a hoppy amber lager, a Vienna and/or Dunkel and finally a helles. I just hope the yeast is ready to roll.

is augustiner the yeast ken mentioned in post #1 or is that some other brand?  is it a WL or wyeast product?  I always enjoy trying new lager yeasts.

The Augustiner yeast was released temporarily by Wyeast as 2352. It's fantastic. Everyone I have talked with says that Omega Bayern is the same strain "from Munich's oldest brewery" (which is Augustiner).

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

I like the hoppy Amber lager idea. I am making an Amber this weekend with all late additions of Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic. I was going to use a pack of 05 but I do have a slurry of 34/70.

Do you think that wonderful lager'y flavor would play well with an Amer. Amber & hop bill?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

I like the hoppy Amber lager idea. I am making an Amber this weekend with all late additions of Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic. I was going to use a pack of 05 but I do have a slurry of 34/70.

Do you think that wonderful lager'y flavor would play well with an Amer. Amber & hop bill?

I see no reason why it would not.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:34 AM

I see no reason why it would not.

I suppose it would be good, just don't know if a crisper cleaner ale yeast would be best. I know what I'm getting with that at least. I'm definitely using the hops mentioned above. I think they'd play well together.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Yes. If you can't think of a commercial example then just consider SABL when it's really fresh and good. For anyone who may grimace at that thought, when SABL is really right, it's my kind of beer... amber, clear, hoppy to a point, a lager, etc. I have had plenty of bad examples of it but I have also used it as inspiration for any number of hoppy amber lagers. In my cases, it's usually late noble hops or clean hops like Crystal, Santiam, Mt. Hood, Ultra, Liberty, etc.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Yes. If you can't think of a commercial example then just consider SABL when it's really fresh and good. For anyone who may grimace at that thought, when SABL is really right, it's my kind of beer... amber, clear, hoppy to a point, a lager, etc. I have had plenty of bad examples of it but I have also used it as inspiration for any number of hoppy amber lagers. In my cases, it's usually late noble hops or clean hops like Crystal, Santiam, Mt. Hood, Ultra, Liberty, etc.

That's my concern using Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic. I want them to shine.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I suppose it would be good, just don't know if a crisper cleaner ale yeast would be best. I know what I'm getting with that at least. I'm definitely using the hops mentioned above. I think they'd play well together.

You think S-05 would be cleaner and crisper than 34/70?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

That's my concern using Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic. I want them to shine.

I'm at the point where I like the occasional pale ale with Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, etc. and my wife likes beers like this too. I also use Citra in the one dark & hoppy wheat beer that I make. Otherwise, I have quite a few people in my circle of beer-drinkers who are not giant fans of the citrusy hops. I have one on tap right now with Cascade and some Zythos late in the boil and that one is really nice but it's not punch-you-in-the-face hoppy... it's just right. As a result I make a number of beers like this with hops that are not citrusy. I have the hoppy amber made with Nugget just finishing up and as soon as there is an empty keg that beer will go in there and the next beer with 1056 may be an Amarillo-Citra pale ale for my wife.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

You think S-05 would be cleaner and crisper than 34/70?

From a distinctive lager flavor yes

I'm at the point where I like the occasional pale ale with Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, etc. and my wife likes beers like this too. I also use Citra in the one dark & hoppy wheat beer that I make. Otherwise, I have quite a few people in my circle of beer-drinkers who are not giant fans of the citrusy hops. I have one on tap right now with Cascade and some Zythos late in the boil and that one is really nice but it's not punch-you-in-the-face hoppy... it's just right. As a result I make a number of beers like this with hops that are not citrusy. I have the hoppy amber made with Nugget just finishing up and as soon as there is an empty keg that beer will go in there and the next beer with 1056 may be an Amarillo-Citra pale ale for my wife.

I like your thinking. And btw I didn't mean to pull your thread off line.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

I like your thinking. And btw I didn't mean to pull your thread off line.

No worries... it's what we do. :P

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Okay, thinking about something like this. It says "Czech" but the grist leans Czech while the hops and yeast may lean German. Whatever. I plan to use the Bayern yeast as long as it smells good and is active and I'm going to use ONE gallon of distilled water just to see what such a small dilution might do for me. Oh... 30m boil time too! ;)

czech.png

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

may have to get some of this omega bayern lager yeast sometime.  i'll have to check if there is a local LHBS that has it.  I hate shipping yeast if I can avoid it.

eta:  looks like I'll be ordering it online if I want their yeast.  ritebrew the best place?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users