#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

This is one I've brewed many times over the years with a bunch of different yeasts and minor tweaks to malt and hops. I never know what to call it but it's one everyone loves whether they are beer snobs or BMC drinkers. WTH, I'll just call it Volksbier, beer for the people.

Brewing this on monday for a 4th of July BBQ here at my house.

ZEDbvRC.png
xlQvjUr.png
2gAEZI3.jpg

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:32 AM

No Columbus!?

Looks like a nice beer, love that color.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:49 AM

No Columbus!?
Looks like a nice beer, love that color.

Thanks its an easy drinker. Lol. I had the CTZ in my hand last night getting ingredients ready and thought "I can use this in an IPA where this Aramis is useless for anything but AAs"

This recipe is variable based on what I have. Beer de jour. Vienna in the 2lb slot. Caravienna in the 8L slot. 1 lb of corn starch if I want lighter body. Anything noble in the 15min hop slot. Any lager yeast I have except MJ 84. It doesnt work in this recipe well.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

Looks like a beer that I would make and drink.  I have no experience with Aramis and I don't care for Tradition late but I could make it work.  If BMCers drink it, you know that it was a well-made homebrew.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Looks like a beer that I would make and drink.  I have no experience with Aramis and I don't care for Tradition late but I could make it work.  If BMCers drink it, you know that it was a well-made homebrew

The Aramis is just AAs and is from FH--some of the ones with no character. It may be a decent hop but I won't know until I get some that are fresh. Have you had Tradition leaf? Has a nice herbal character I enjoy.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

6.5 gals chilling in the wine fridge with the 1 gal drauflassen volume spinning on the plate at 58F. I collected 7.5 gallons of 1.048 OG wort which puts me at ~ 89% efficiency.

Strange how different malts will have drastically different efficiencies. Looks like I'm getting good yields from Castle.

I backed the Hall Tradition down to .35oz at 15 in case someone like Ken doesn't like its character. I think it smells wonderful and tasted great when I added it to a keg as a keg-hop.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 29 May 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:17 AM

6.5 gals chilling in the wine fridge with the 1 gal drauflassen volume spinning on the plate at 58F. I collected 7.5 gallons of 1.048 OG wort which puts me at ~ 89% efficiency.
Strange how different malts will have drastically different efficiencies. Looks like I'm getting good yields from Castle.

I backed the Hall Tradition down to .35oz at 15 in case someone like Ken doesn't like its character. I think it smells wonderful and tasted great when I added it to a keg as a keg-hop.

I used Tradition to bitter a few times but I also tried using it like regular Hallertau (as a late addition flavor or aroma hop) and I got some weirdness... vegetal, dirty. It could have been the crop or just these few bags. This may have been when I was buying other German hops... Select, Opal, Merkur, Blanc, etc.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

Aahhh, Aramis. It's earthy herbal mild spiciness appeals to me with golden beers. I've used it in a Kolsch style beer and recently paired it up with some Mandarina Bavaria in a "CAF" Belgian Blonde. Aramis alone in a light golden lager would be quite fitting to my tastes.

I'll need your address for a 7/4 drop by :)

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

I used Tradition to bitter a few times but I also tried using it like regular Hallertau (as a late addition flavor or aroma hop) and I got some weirdness... vegetal, dirty. It could have been the crop or just these few bags. This may have been when I was buying other German hops... Select, Opal, Merkur, Blanc, etc.

I saw that you and someone else said that about Trad. The leaf I got are very fresh and smell similar to other hallertau varieties I've had. No dirty/veg type of aroma or flavor. I keg hopped the crap out of a batch and it was great.

Aahhh, Aramis. It's earthy herbal mild spiciness appeals to me with golden beers. I've used it in a Kolsch style beer and recently paired it up with some Mandarina Bavaria in a "CAF" Belgian Blonde. Aramis alone in a light golden lager would be quite fitting to my tastes.

I'll need your address for a 7/4 drop by :)

I've had a beer with Aramis in it and it was great. I'll try it again if HD gets some fresh leaf. This batch of pellets were lame. Come on down to AR. We'll have a blast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users