• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

httpss://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-10-getting-hazy-ed

The Brew Is Out There!

STYLE SHOW

On this week's episode of the Brew Files, we're exploring the controversial style of the moment - New England IPA. And since Denny spits nails about anything "hazy" and "juicy", Drew's bringing in Ed Coffey of "Ale of the Riverwards" to talk the style he's been brewing since before he knew it was a style. Together they talk about the ingredients, the hops, the flavors and of course the haze and it's meaning.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Style of the moment? Seems like a moment is growing into years ;)

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

That was a good listen.  Nothing crazy earth shattering but a good overview on the style.  Ed and Drew did a nice job.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Style of the moment? Seems like a moment is growing into years ;)

That's what they said about Black IPA, too....

That was a good listen.  Nothing crazy earth shattering but a good overview on the style.  Ed and Drew did a nice job.

I liked Ed's comment that haze should be a byproduct, not a goal

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

I liked Ed's comment that haze should be a byproduct, not a goal

I agree with him on that point.  Unfortunately many do not and those are the ones that give that "style" of beer a bad name.  I do not go in thinking about the haze level.  For me it seems to be at what stage I add the dry hops, early equals more haze and later equals less.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

I never really saw people clamoring to get their hands on those like I'm seeing with NEIPA.  maybe it was diff out your way.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I never really saw people clamoring to get their hands on those like I'm seeing with NEIPA.  maybe it was diff out your way.

I also wonder how many breweries were opened to just produce black IPAs.  I could rattle off a dozen or more that opened to just brew that style.  Not saying they will not close in a year but since many are looking to expand I think they are making money.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

I also wonder how many breweries were opened to just produce black IPAs.  I could rattle off a dozen or more that opened to just brew that style.  Not saying they will not close in a year but since many are looking to expand I think they are making money.

black IPA sounded really cool but then you have one and it's pretty much just an IPA or it's an IPA with roast which can vary from kind of interesting to not so great.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Oh, I guarantee you they were.

For now.  I wonder what it will be 3-5 years down the road.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Oh, I guarantee you they were.

maybe just my area then.  it never really got big here.  there are still a few on tap here and there but they never seemed to be particularly common and now almost non-existent. 

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

maybe just my area then.  it never really got big here.  there are still a few on tap here and there but they never seemed to be particularly common and now almost non-existent. 

Same here and back when they came out I was still going to all the big beer releases and trading heavily and no one was doing anything with black IPAs, at least not in most of NE.

For now.  I wonder what it will be 3-5 years down the road.

I bet you a beer they are looking for more SS to keep expanding :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users