#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47781 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

I made this for Easter and it was a big hit.  Not exactly cheap or low calorie, but delicious.  (Amounts are approximate because that's the way I cook.)

1 large bunch Swiss Chard

4 oz bacon

1 shallot

splash dry sherry

2 eggs

1/2 pint cream

1 cup Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup Ricotta cheese

8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms

salt, pepper and fresh nutmeg to taste

Cook bacon and remove from pan, reserving about 1/3 cup of grease.  Fry finely chopped shallot to translucent in bacon grease and deglaze with a bit of sherry.  Wash and chop Swiss chard, including ribs and dry with salad spinner or towels.  Wilt the chard in the shallots and bacon grease until the green parts are bright and volume decreases - not trying to cook them fully.  Once they're wilted, set them aside to cool.

Next, combine the eggs, cream and Ricotta to make a custard.  Add salt and pepper, and about 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg.  (The nutmeg must be fresh; if all you have is the preground nutmeg, skip it altogether.)  Whisk it good, then fold in the crumbled bacon, mushrooms (raw), half the Parmesan and the wilted chard.  Be careful not to cook the eggs with the chard!  Top with the rest of the Parmesan and bake in greased pan at 350F for an hour.  Remove and let sit about 10 minutes to firm up and come together before serving. Serves about 10.

#2 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3206 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Man, this looks great!  I love Swiss Chard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users