#1 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hello, my name is Craig and I am an indoor brewer....I wasn't going to brew today because of the weather, hoses put away for the winter, etc. The wife got stuck with a double shift so I had the kitchen to myself.Mashed in at 2:00pm and took a quick nap with a timer set to heat sparge water. Woke up, turned on WDST (local independant Rock station) to 11 and started to vorlouf.A process change I need to make is that I have to start heating my first running in a kettle while doing the batch sparge.Once I get both kettles to a boil I can combine and maintain a nice boil.For chilling I can put my kettle on the kitchen floor and attach the bottling bucket to the chiller and run into an empty 5 gallon water bottle. After the wort gets down to about 100 I can fill the bucket with some ice and then recirculate water from the 5 gallon water bottle back to the bucket. The ice water actually chills a lot better than just running hose water and I'm saving some water from just going down the drain. Start to finish a little over 5 1/2 hours but that time also includes weighing and crushing grains. The beauty is I got all the comforts of being inside including radio, tv, sink, etc. I don't have to fight the cold, rain, wind, etc being outside. I don't have leaves blowing into the wort. I can't see ever brewing outside again other than club events.If brewing outside was the way it was supposed to be done, then commercial breweries would do it also!!!

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I am an outside brewer but sounds like you got the comforts and enjoyments of being inside. Hope your brews continue to be good.

#3 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm set up so I can brew inside or outside. I'd much rather brew outside. I only brew inside if the weather is bad (cold and windy/snow/raining).I like sitting on the back patio with my friends, not having to worry about spills, and being able to easily hose things down when it is time to clean up.To each his own. ;)

#4 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

I'm a garage brewer. Think of it as your kitchen with a convertible top.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

If brewing outside was the way it was supposed to be done, then commercial breweries would do it also!!!

I'm happy you found a brewing process that you enjoy, but never forget this.....the beauty of homebrewing is that we DON'T have to brew like commercial brewers!

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:31 AM

I spent about one winter worth of brewing submerging my wort in a cool water bath, ice method etc,, then i realized they make attachments for your garden hose that can be connected to my kitchen sink.DUH! cost me like $3 at the hardware and im using my wort chiller again. That's what i like about homebrewing. Always learning new things ,and techniques.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:35 AM

I'm a garage brewer.

Same here. The only way I would move inside was if I had a dedicated brewing area. The amount of mess I would make in the kitchen would be pretty phenomenal. The area would be covered in sanitizer, water and wort.

#8 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a kitchen brewer.

#9 JimNasium

JimNasium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Same here. The only way I would move inside was if I had a dedicated brewing area. The amount of mess I would make in the kitchen would be pretty phenomenal. The area would be covered in sanitizer, water and wort.

I told my wife she's in charge of buying our next house and once the target number is established I'll let her make the final decision. My only conditions are a space for a man cave and a John Deere room that can be converted into a dedicated brewery.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

I'm happy you found a brewing process that you enjoy, but never forget this.....the beauty of homebrewing is that we DON'T have to brew like commercial brewers!

Shoot, I always thought the beauty of homebrewing is that the end result is beer!;)

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a kitchen brewer.

Hi Jim, if I ever need to start a support group I'll look you up.

#12 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

I was happy to make the transition out of the house. I wear rubber boots and get wet to my waist. It's totally unnecessary to make that big of a mess but I like it that way.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

I haven't brewed inside since I was an extract brewer, many, many years ago, but I'm in the process of converting my stand to all electric so I can brew inside year round. Plus having the system set-up at all times, rather than buried in the shed, will allow me to cut down on my brew time and brew on weeknights, which is my ultimate goal.

#14 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

The biggest problem I would have with brewing inside would be the clean-up. How do you wash out a large kettle inside the house, without soaking the whole kitchen? A hose in the driveway makes clean-up much easier.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

The biggest problem I would have with brewing inside would be the clean-up. How do you wash out a large kettle inside the house, without soaking the whole kitchen? A hose in the driveway makes clean-up much easier.

yeah - cleanup would def be one of the reasons my indoor brewing space would have to be dedicated to brewing. In a perfect world the floor would have a drain in it ;)

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I would never do it if I had to use the kitchen. I'm going to be doing it in my basement. I would use my garage if I had one. ;)I'm going to have a tough time with the cleaning since I don't have a water source down there, I may have to do that outside. I'm working on framing out a dedicated space down there for brewing, I'm going to be adding a laundry sink to make it a completely self contained.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

... not having to worry about spills, and being able to easily hose things down when it is time to clean up. ...

I tried hosing the kitchen down..........Once!

#18 Brim2theDregs

Brim2theDregs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

Hi Craig, I'm JR and as of last Thursday, I am also an indoor brewer.Posted ImageMy rig is on wheels, so a full recovery to outside brewing is surely eminent on nice days.I've still got to throw epoxy on the floor and a few kinks to work out, but I'm digin' the new brew room.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hi Craig, I'm JR and as of last Thursday, I am also an indoor brewer.Posted ImageMy rig is on wheels, so a full recovery to outside brewing is surely eminent on nice days.I've still got to throw epoxy on the floor and a few kinks to work out, but I'm digin' the new brew room.

Nice. I love the tippy MLT.

#20 Brim2theDregs

Brim2theDregs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Nice. I love the tippy MLT.

I'll be sure to keep my nose to the grindstone in there to avoid a blind-side from Mr. Tate. Nice hit in the Panthers game yesterday BTW :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users