#1 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Anybody tell me where this might fall style wise? It is extremely tasty btw.57% German Pale31% German Wheat12% German MunichO.G. about 1.044F.G. about 1.012Hopped to about 30 IBU with Perle additions at 60 and 15 minsWYeast 2565 Kölsch

Edited by shaggaroo, 17 October 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

American Wheat

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Interesting... I guess I would have never thought that.

#4 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:42 PM

I got the same result -- American Wheat -- and I am also a bit surprised. It would be a good German pilsner except for all that wheat and Munich malt. If it tastes like a pilsner, you could call it a pilsner, but it does fit best into the American wheat category assuming that the other malts come through in the flavor. This sounds good enough that I might want to brew it sometime... thanks for sharing the recipe. A wheat beer that is both simple yet complex for a change.

#5 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

Just call it a German Ale or a German Wheat.

#6 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

Definitely not a German wheat, tastes nothing like a Hefeweizen. The problem is I can't really describe the taste other than the Perle floral/spiciness comes through subtley. Also, if I look at the BJCP description for American wheat, they give examples such as UFO Hefeweizen and Pyramid Hefeweizen; I've had those and not close at all. After I brew this again tomorrow I'll have to take better tasting notes once its ready.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

I punched it into a calculator (as 5 gallons with the set percentages) and it comes up OG: 1.045, FG: 1.011, IBU: 30, SRM: 4, ABV: 4.4% which fits into a Kölsch category (which I originally considered because of the 2565), although I know that Munich would not ordinarily be in a Kölsch and German Pale would usually be Pilsner malt. I can see someone saying American Wheat, although I would not think that an American Wheat would use German Pale, Perle hops or 2565 yeast. Just my 2¢. The best way to approach this is to assume that homebrewers have the power and sometimes put together a tasty recipe that doesn't necessarily fit into a category and that's no fault of the homebrewer's. We make what we want and if the BJCP doesn't like it, that's their business. All you know is that you have 5 gallons (or more?) of this delicious beer and that's all anyone needs to know. Honestly, I do this all the time and have no possible way of determining what style a certain beer falls into because I made it up in 5 minutes. Don't worry about the style guidelines if you like the beer. Cheers!

#8 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Definitely not a German wheat, tastes nothing like a Hefeweizen. The problem is I can't really describe the taste other than the Perle floral/spiciness comes through subtley. Also, if I look at the BJCP description for American wheat, they give examples such as UFO Hefeweizen and Pyramid Hefeweizen; I've had those and not close at all. After I brew this again tomorrow I'll have to take better tasting notes once its ready.

Notice I nevered said Hefe as those are all about the yeast and wheat combo.

#9 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

I punched it into a calculator (as 5 gallons with the set percentages) and it comes up OG: 1.045, FG: 1.011, IBU: 30, SRM: 4, ABV: 4.4% which fits into a Kölsch category (which I originally considered because of the 2565), although I know that Munich would not ordinarily be in a Kölsch and German Pale would usually be Pilsner malt. I can see someone saying American Wheat, although I would not think that an American Wheat would use German Pale, Perle hops or 2565 yeast. Just my 2¢. The best way to approach this is to assume that homebrewers have the power and sometimes put together a tasty recipe that doesn't necessarily fit into a category and that's no fault of the homebrewer's. We make what we want and if the BJCP doesn't like it, that's their business. All you know is that you have 5 gallons (or more?) of this delicious beer and that's all anyone needs to know. Honestly, I do this all the time and have no possible way of determining what style a certain beer falls into because I made it up in 5 minutes. Don't worry about the style guidelines if you like the beer. Cheers!

Ken thanks for the encouraging words. I've always kind of thought of it as a Kölsch too. Damn the BJCP full boils ahead!

I know you didn't say Hefe but to me a German wheat beer is by definition a Hefeweizen, just as a Belgian wheat beer is a Wit. Didn't mean to misinterpret your words. Thanks for the ideas.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Agreed... Hefe would imply a banana & clove profile and that's usually 3068, 3056 and a few others. I'm sure I could walk into a brewpub and order their "American Wheat" and it could be this recipe. I would probably like it because it's my type of beer... a gold session beer, moderately hopped with a neutral yeast (there are yeasts that are more neutral, but 2565 is neutral enough) and I'd probably drink a number of them and enjoy them immensely. Cheers.

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Ken, if I can bottle it when its ready, maybe I can send ya few ;)

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Hey, always. If you get to that point, let me know and I'll send an address. I almost NEVER get any of my beers in bottles anymore, but I'd love to swap beers with anyone out there who has something that they're proud of. That's one of the beautiful things about homebrewing... sharing it with someone else! Cheers & have fun with the brew session tomorrow. ;)

#13 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Yeah I almost never bottle anymore either, but I'll see what I can do when the time comes. Gotta get an early start tomorrow so I cna watch the Packers at 1 p.m. at least you can wait for the Bears till tomorrow night.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Yeah I almost never bottle anymore either, but I'll see what I can do when the time comes. Gotta get an early start tomorrow so I cna watch the Packers at 1 p.m. at least you can wait for the Bears till tomorrow night.

You're in the Middle of Nowhere, NY and you're a Packer fan? Wow. I'll assume you have the NFL package on DirecTv or something. Cheers Amigo and have fun brewing.

#15 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

Born and raised in Milwaukee but haven't lived there for 25 years; so Sunday Ticket on DirecTV is a godsend! Otherwise, without Sunday Ticket, here in Oswego I am forced to watch the Bills, the Jets or the Giants. Honestly, Sunday Ticket is the only reason I don't have TimeWarner Cable.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

I agree with the American Wheat category. 1010 is a more common hefe for that style but it's a Kolsch yeast originally so it's not all that far from 2565. Normally you wouldn't have that much Munich but I don't think there's enough to take it out of style.

#17 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Mtn. Mashing in as I type, whatever it technically is...

#18 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

It is an American Wheat, if you filtered it, it could possibly be a Krystalweizen...but it would really be more a clear American Wheat. That recipe actually looks really close to an Am. Wheat a brewery around here took a GABF Medal with a few years back.

#19 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

It is an American Wheat, if you filtered it, it could possibly be a Krystalweizen...but it would really be more a clear American Wheat. That recipe actually looks really close to an Am. Wheat a brewery around here took a GABF Medal with a few years back.

Very interesting, though it really doesn't taste like the examples of American wheats listed in the BJCP style guide... but thanks to Ken, I ain't worryin' about no stinkin' BJCP styles. What's the brewery of which you speak?

#20 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:06 PM

...The examples of American wheats listed in the BJCP style guide...

Suck! Some of them, anyway. Widmer Hefe and their kin can go suck it. I'm willing to bet that your recipe tastes better than a "real" American wheat. So label it what it is, and don't worry so much about how close it seems to their idea of the style. It's really a VERY broad style anyway... I mean, have you tasted Oberon? There's nothing else like it anywhere, and it's got to be very difficult to duplicate at home. These American wheats are always pretty simple beers, but with a very broad range of flavors. You wanted to know what it is, well that's what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users