12 replies to this topic

#1 phalanxausage

phalanxausage

Atomic Chef! and Full-Time Francophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3164 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Our household has been getting healthier lately. My wife has been hitting the gym almost daily. My daughter went pescatarian recently, which has forced a necessary change in my meal planning for everybody. I have been working as a baker for the past few months, which means I am on my feet all day, plus it’s HOT, so I’m not hungry through the day. I’ve dropped 30 pounds and am in much better shape.

My wife went out of town Thursday, and yesterday I took Freyja to stay with my mom for a few days during her spring break. I also took the dogs in for their annual comprehensive exam & a dental cleaning, so they were anesthetized all day. In other words, anybody that would normally in some way intrude on my existence was either absent or drugged. Time for an exercise in self-indulgence. In the past I would have grilled something gigantic & torn it to pieces with my hands while sitting on the couch in my underwear. Not this time. I wanted something nice. I wanted to treat myself.

The menu:

20170408_200058_zpshke29rol.jpg

Meat:

20170408_173234_zpscxb6u36a.jpg

20oz top choice, bone-in ribeye. The picture is crappy & washed out but it was a beaut. Sioux would probably have some criticism for the butcher but I was happy with it.

Wine:

20170408_150840_zpsoewty1p6.jpg

A giant slab of quality cow cries out for something from Bordeaux. I picked up a number of bottles a few years ago from the 2009 harvest, as it was such a good year that even the less pricey bottles were really good. According to a couple of online sources I watch, this one is in the best shape right now. Since it is still a little closed & the tannins are still kind of sharp, I decanted it at 3:40 in anticipation of pouring at 7:30 or 8:00.

Table:

20170408_191114_zpsxgtlpbtt.jpg

20170408_201050_zpszmtai9ac.jpg

A table for one means I get to use the whole thing. I was in a sentimental mood yesterday, thinking about many of the people who are important to me, so I decided to include them in the table setting. The dry flowers from my wife & the origami crane from Freyja, because they are with me always, no matter how many miles separate us. The custom made salt box & small wooden bowl used as a candle holder, both made by my close friend Chainsaw, to represent those who are dear to me regardless of how rarely we see each other.

I have no pictures of the apero, since I had it while cooking.

Soup:

20170408_201741_zpsurwcpceu.jpg

20170408_202605_zpsgauymvps.jpg

I sort-of improvised it. I cooked some mushroom stems & trimmings along with a little ginger & parsley into a broth, which I filled out with a touch of Better Than Bouillon chicken & beef concentrates. While some barley simmered away in that, I sautéed a mirepoix mixture with shallots & set it aside, then cooked some matchstick-cut white mushrooms & added it to the mirepoix. I also soaked three dried morels in cheap brandy. When the barley was almost finished, the vegetables were stirred in & given some time to get to know each other. Then I added quite a lot of roughly chopped spinach & chopped, fresh thyme. It needed some bitterness. Endive or radicchio would have been ideal but I had spinach, so I used enough of it to give a pronounced bitterness. To finish, I added the brandy the morels had soaked in, along with two small pinches of French five-spice & some white pepper. This almost overshadowed the steak, it was so good.

Main:

20170408_211152_zps6ky63vo3.jpg

20170408_211518_zps4hwuedcd.jpg

The shiitakes were cooked over low heat, gills down, in a little bit of olive oil while I ate the soup. Turned them over while cooking the steak, added salt, pepper, garlic, & more olive oil, increased the heat, then finished with a bit of parsley. The asparagus was simply rinsed, then cooked briefly in the microwave before plating. The steak went into the sous vide setup for two hours with salt, four sprigs of thyme, and a goodly amount of cracked pepper, then cooked in cast iron at high heat with a blow torch assist, in a mixture of bacon fat & butter. I finished it with some minced shallot, parsley, & tarragon, as well as a large pat of really good butter. It got a generous helping of finely ground pepper & coarse, French sea salt at the table.

The soundtrack while prepping & cooking was provided by Karma to Burn, then Weather Report. The dinner soundtrack was a mix of Wes Montgomery, Dave Brubeck, Art Blakey, and Miles Davis.

I wanted to put on a nice shirt & a tie to eat it, but since I was cooking with violence between courses, I decided not to risk getting grease stains on my good clothes. An apron can only do so much.

In the end, this meal beat me. I couldn't finish. I have a great plate of leftovers in the fridge, as well as half of that WONDERFUL wine but I am still not hungry. I did have dessert later, with the Armagnac, followed by a short pour of the rum.

cb5c2c46-1b08-4d96-ab37-1ec2c41b4ccc_zps

#2 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8035 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

I usually watch Karate Kid on bachelor night.

#3 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

I usually watch Karate Kid on bachelor night.

This but jackin

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45143 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

I would've gotten as far as setting everything up all nice, then chugged the bottle of wine and eaten the steak raw standing over the kitchen sink.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9984 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

+1.  Would read again.

And now, so damn hungry for ribeye.

#6 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8035 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

The best part is when you mention your best friend, Chainsaw. 

#7 Glacies

Glacies

Comptroller of Schwanz Hats

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5095 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Awesome dude.

I had a bachelor night myself recently, didn't go as far as you, but I did make myself filet mignon (I buy full loins and make my own steaks and roasts), spaghetti olla oulia and roasted eggplant.

Back in the day it was a jar of peanut butter and a case of beer.

#8 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12935 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

I'd eat that.

#9 Augie1991

Augie1991

Rocket

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20728 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

A+++++++++  For effort !!!!

#10 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5741 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

Would hit it. I normally eat standing over the garbage can in my kitchen, and it's been at least a year since I've had a nice steak. Jealous! 

#11 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11178 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

This but jackin

Who doesn't jack it to the Karate Kid?

#12 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23196 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Jack on

Jack off

#13 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

I loved that you printed out a menu. Looked delish!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, drinking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users