#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

I guess quick is relative.  My quickest AG batch was just over 2 hours and 45 minutes.  Granted, I do some things that other brewers do not want to like a short 30 minute boil.

Well just to show you I ain't 'a-scared' I do 40 minute boils because of you. I also boil more vigorously in that time span. Why? Not really sure, but I do.

#22 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111714 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

Agreed and the maker culture just keeps getting stronger. A lot of homebrew demos are happening at maker fairs and the AHA is targeting that kind of event to find new brewers. But it loks like those new brewers don't want a 3 keg, PID controlled mini brewery. They want something like the Zymatic, Pico, Grainfather, BIAB experience. Make their own beer, but keep it easy, quick and fun.

That makes sense. I can see that younger, newer brewers would be easier to attract with cool technology that lets you focus on the creative side of recipe design and not so much the process. I have to admit that after my 10-year hiatus from brewing, now that I'm getting back into it, some of those newer gizmos have begun to appeal to me. I have a lot of other hobbies and always seem to be adding more, so things that save time and effort on brew day are nice.

#23 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64039 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Agreed and the maker culture just keeps getting stronger.  A lot of homebrew demos are happening at maker fairs and the AHA is targeting that kind of event to find new brewers.  But it loks like those new brewers don't want a 3 keg, PID controlled mini brewery.  They want something like the Zymatic, Pico, Grainfather, BIAB experience.  Make their own beer, but keep it easy, quick and fun.

IMHO, the increased knowledge and experimentation that has really been rampant in the last 10 years in HB circles has also led to a lot more understanding of the process on the homebrew scale and gave us insight into many parts of the process that we have really been wasting our time on based on tradition and nothing else.  You can brew more quickly and on a smaller footprint by leaving out a lot of these superfluous steps.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

IMHO, the increased knowledge and experimentation that has really been rampant in the last 10 years in HB circles has also led to a lot more understanding of the process on the homebrew scale and gave us insight into many parts of the process that we have really been wasting our time on based on tradition and nothing else.  You can brew more quickly and on a smaller footprint by leaving out a lot of these superfluous steps.

Agree with a lot of that.  If I did not already have a 3-vessel system I would go a different direction if I was starting over.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I know nothing of the business model but somedays I wonder how long the BN can last.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I know nothing of the business model but somedays I wonder how long the BN can last.

I am surprised they lasted this long to be honest.  I have not listened to them in years.  I think they do have a bar now so I assume that must pay most of the bills.

#27 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

There has never been a legit LHBS near me.  When there was, the owner was an asshole so I never bought anything.

In regards to my "brew day,"  It might take me 4 hours and 15 minutes.  I have nothing fancy, i boil 60 minutes, i let my grains sit in the cooler for 60 minutes, etc etc.   The only new gadgets that appeal to me really aren't gadgets.  I'm working on understanding my water better.  Issues with pH might be what caused some unpleasant brews in the past.  If I can correct that, i'm good with my process.   It's 4 hours doing something that I want to do that creates a product I use later.  Hell, i'm bottling instead of kegging now.  That isn't exactly quick.   I did decide this week that my days of label peeling are gone.  That's not fun.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

^^ this is the definition of the love of the craft/hobby

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64039 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

This.  Listening to the shows in the early days they were always complaining about how no one is getting paid and Justin was broadcasting from a spare bedroom in someone's on the shows house or something.  That kind of setup don't last unless people start getting paid.

They have generated a lot of great content, though.  I'll give them that.  I would charge for it (a small download fee for archived content) if i was them.

Edited by JKor, 07 March 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

easy and quick aren't really terms I equate with allgrain home brewing

You'd be surprised.  I'm working on BIAB batches that have a 20 min. mash and 20 min. boil

If homebrewing is on the decline, even a little, maybe that will ultimately translate into lower prices/better availability for certain ingredients, like hard-to-find/new hop varieties.

Probably unlikely, but a guy can hope, right?

I think it's more likely the opposite.

I am surprised they lasted this long to be honest.  I have not listened to them in years.  I think they do have a bar now so I assume that must pay most of the bills.

Well, it's not so much "they" have a bar as Justin has a bar.

#31 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Denny doing BIAB? What started that?

#32 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

^^ free equipment :)

#33 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9741 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

^^ free equipment :)

Denny you still doing those 16oz batches?   Or did you up it to a full gallon?

I KID!

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Denny doing BIAB? What started that?

A book....need to do it so I can write about it.  But I won't be going over 3 gal.  After that BIAB gets silly IMO.

Denny you still doing those 16oz batches?   Or did you up it to a full gallon?

I KID!

Actually I've done a couple gal. batches recently.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

A book....need to do it so I can write about it.  But I won't be going over 3 gal.  After that BIAB gets silly IMO.

Curious about that.  Is it the lifting of the bag or what?  I have done several 6g BIAB beers with no issues in the final beer or efficiency.  I just do not understand limiting it to 3g, granted I know that is just your take but I am curious why.

Actually I've done a couple gal. batches recently.

Now those I do find silly! :D

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16583 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Yes, silly. 

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64039 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Curious about that. Is it the lifting of the bag or what? I have done several 6g BIAB beers with no issues in the final beer or efficiency. I just do not understand limiting it to 3g, granted I know that is just your take but I am curious why.

Hey, not everyone has an electric hoist, man!

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hey, not everyone has an electric hoist, man!

Yep, that's my issue.  If you have to have a hoist to lift the bag, the ease is lost.  Since that's the reason to BIAB, I just can't see it.

#39 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Sorry to see those guys go.  They were close enough that shipping was reasonable and fast.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

Sorry to see those guys go.  They were close enough that shipping was reasonable and fast.

One of their strengths was quick processing and delivery. I honestly don't know how they did it sometimes. I once ordered on a Monday morning and the box arrived Tuesday afternoon and I didn't ask for any type of expedited shipping, etc. The selection was good (until the end... they were out of stock on things), prices were good and processing was fast. In fact, the speed in which they got orders out has spoiled me with other places like MW and NB who sit on your order for a week if you don't choose quick shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users