40 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

Anyone use it?  I am curious when you added it in.  I am debating picking some up and plan to just use it in the WP and DH but not sure if that is the best use.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

Technically, there is a difference between hop hash and lupulin powder.  Hop hash is the stuff they dig out of pellet mills after processing.  Lupulin powder, AFAIK, is cryo processed and not yet available to homebrewers.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Technically, there is a difference between hop hash and lupulin powder.  Hop hash is the stuff they dig out of pellet mills after processing.  Lupulin powder, AFAIK, is cryo processed and not yet available to homebrewers.

Okay.  What differences does cryo processing lead to?  Any idea?

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Okay.  What differences does cryo processing lead to?  Any idea?

It keeps it very fresh.  Cryo is a very new technique.  When they showed it to us at Hop and Brew School last year, we were fordidden to take pics.  The equipment is still in the kinda developmental stage.  Basically, they freeze the hops and separate the lupulin from the (now) debittered leaf.  One pf the things I found interesting was the character of that leaf.  A bit like British hops.  There are a few breweries working with the powder at this point.  Some reports are that the powder produces massive hop aroma and flavor, but it dissipates in a couple weeks.  But I think the whole thing is new enough that it's too early to really draw any conclusions.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

It keeps it very fresh.  Cryo is a very new technique.  When they showed it to us at Hop and Brew School last year, we were fordidden to take pics.  The equipment is still in the kinda developmental stage.  Basically, they freeze the hops and separate the lupulin from the (now) debittered leaf.  One pf the things I found interesting was the character of that leaf.  A bit like British hops.  There are a few breweries working with the powder at this point.  Some reports are that the powder produces massive hop aroma and flavor, but it dissipates in a couple weeks.  But I think the whole thing is new enough that it's too early to really draw any conclusions.

Thanks for that it was helpful. Two breweries out here are using it from what I have seen, Lawson's and Trillium.  I would not be surprised if more are too.  I talked a friend that brews commercially and they tried it but did not care for it, I never got around to asking what about it they did not like.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Mmm, so thirsty for cryo-beer. :P

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

Mmm, so thirsty for cryo-beer. :P

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. That and some genetically engineered brats

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. That and some genetically engineered brats

Oh, hey, hey, hey. We gotta draw the line somewhere.

I wish I had an opinion on all of these hop products but I don't. I did buy hop extract years ago and I also have this "hop-shot" thing that came with that $5 pound of Nugget that I bought but I have not used it. Cryo-protected hops sound interesting to me if it meant that your hops would never "spoil". I have been burned by using finishing hops that were either "bad" or "never good in the first place" and they completely ruined a perfectly good 5 gallons of beer. I'm not a professional "hop storer" so you just never know what will happen with natural products.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

I'd certainly try both. Said by a guy who is on a hop buying moratorium until 2019.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

I'd certainly try both. Said by a guy who is on a hop buying moratorium until 2019.

I know. I have a lot of hops (for me) at the moment and I get a little squeamish about keeping that many because it's just that many more they may go downhill before I can use them.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

Oh, hey, hey, hey. We gotta draw the line somewhere.

I wish I had an opinion on all of these hop products but I don't. I did buy hop extract years ago and I also have this "hop-shot" thing that came with that $5 pound of Nugget that I bought but I have not used it. Cryo-protected hops sound interesting to me if it meant that your hops would never "spoil". I have been burned by using finishing hops that were either "bad" or "never good in the first place" and they completely ruined a perfectly good 5 gallons of beer. I'm not a professional "hop storer" so you just never know what will happen with natural products.

The hops are not cryo protected.  They are frozen and the lupulin is removed from the leaf.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

The hops are not cryo protected.  They are frozen and the lupulin is removed from the leaf.

Oh yeah, pfft. Who do you think you're talking to. I knew that. I easily knew that. :lol:

What would it mean to homebrewers? The ease of handling? Easier to measure? Less storage space? The possibility of never having "over-the-hill" hops? All pluses in my book.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

From YCH FB Page.

Cryo Hops® is a new product line using proprietary cryogenic processing technology developed by our team. It represents how the products are produced, not how they are packaged and sealed. As a side note, all of our packaging is nitrogen-flushed and sealed to ensure quality and freshness. Hope that helps explain. More to come on 2/27!

I guess we will have to wait for more.

For those that have not seen it is is just a green powder. Hard to tell but here is a video with it going into the kettle.  https://www.trillium...oncollaboration

Oh yeah, pfft. Who do you think you're talking to. I knew that. I easily knew that. :lol:

What would it mean to homebrewers? The ease of handling? Easier to measure? Less storage space? The possibility of never having "over-the-hill" hops? All pluses in my book.

I think it would have impacts on aroma and flavor from what I have seen.  I think it may be a PITA to handle in small quantities though and I wonder how it will drop out.  You may be stuck with hazy beer!!!!

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:19 AM

Some new/more information

https://scottjanish....ets-experiment/

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

Just ordered some Simcoe  LupulN2 Cryohops.  Looks like I will be doing an all Simcoe/Pearl Malt beer to see how they do.  Plan is to use it only in the DH and WP additions.  This will be a take on Skadoosh III by The Alchemists.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Testing time for me.  I have some cyo on the way and will use it in conjunction with craft malt from a couple different maltsters

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Just ordered some Simcoe  LupulN2 Cryohops.  Looks like I will be doing an all Simcoe/Pearl Malt beer to see how they do.  Plan is to use it only in the DH and WP additions.  This will be a take on Skadoosh III by The Alchemists.

how does it compare cost wise for a similar hopping rate?

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

I know a handful of people who have used these products and tastes the results. Very intriguing to say the least. The powder is definitely a little hard to handle.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

I know a handful of people who have used these products and tastes the results. Very intriguing to say the least. The powder is definitely a little hard to handle.

Do you think it is worth it?

how does it compare cost wise for a similar hopping rate?

I think you are supposed to use half as much so it would be equivalent to $2/oz. I will have to check my math though.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

which is why they've started pelletizing the powder.  Just got some today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users