#21 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

STOP BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF!!!!  ;)  That is one of the most boring books I've ever had the displeasure of trying to read.  It's not even really aimed at homebrewers.

Gotta start somewhere and that seemed as good as any.

21 posts about a book titled Water and no one got "kinda dry".  Pay attention people.  B)

#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Gotta start somewhere and that seemed as good as any.

21 posts about a book titled Water and no one got "kinda dry".  Pay attention people.  B)

The water knowledge section of Brunwater covers in a much more direct and approachable manner.

It's a reference book, not a cover to cover reader. Much of it does not apply to the home brewer.

AAMOF, it's aimed at commercial brewers.

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

AAMOF, it's aimed at commercial brewers.

I heard this before but I wonder if commercial brewers go buy books to read on the subject of water. I would think they might already know it or that they might attend some classes or something. Jeebus knows I have had some God-awful commercial beer so maybe that book should be in more commercial breweries. <_<

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

I heard this before but I wonder if commercial brewers go buy books to read on the subject of water. I would think they might already know it or that they might attend some classes or something. Jeebus knows I have had some God-awful commercial beer so maybe that book should be in more commercial breweries. <_<

Yes, they do.  You overestimate the education of most commercial brewers. 

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

That has been very noticeable as of late.  At least around here where it seems everyone is opening a brewery.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

Evidently. :P

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

Evidently. :P

I assume you occasionally go on tours of breweries.  ask them how they treat their water.  often they'll say they don't even though most places make everything from stout, to blonde ale to IPA.  somehow their water is good for everything?

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

I assume you occasionally go on tours of breweries.  ask them how they treat their water.  often they'll say they don't even though most places make everything from stout, to blonde ale to IPA.  somehow their water is good for everything?

I ask that question on every brewery tour I take. The person leading the tour (which may not be a brewer but an actual "brewery tour guide") usually just gives me a suspicious look and then they go palms-up and shrug. <_<

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

I ask that question on every brewery tour I take. The person leading the tour (which may not be a brewer but an actual "brewery tour guide") usually just gives me a suspicious look and then they go palms-up and shrug. <_<

ha!  I guess it depends on the brewery.  for the smaller ones the tour guide and the brewer are often the same guy.  sometimes it's even the head brewer.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

ha!  I guess it depends on the brewery.  for the smaller ones the tour guide and the brewer are often the same guy.  sometimes it's even the head brewer.

I've had people who should know the brewing process hear my question (which is usually "do you do anything to the water based on the style of beer?") and then look at me funny and eventually say, "NO". I've never had a brewery tour where they went into any specifics about what they do with water. One local guy told me that he just filters the water (same water that I use) and uses it. He followed that up with "we have GREAT brewing water!" and this was at a time when I was making very bad pale beers so I was confused about how he was getting decent blonde ales and pilsners.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

I've had people who should know the brewing process hear my question (which is usually "do you do anything to the water based on the style of beer?") and then look at me funny and eventually say, "NO". I've never had a brewery tour where they went into any specifics about what they do with water. One local guy told me that he just filters the water (same water that I use) and uses it. He followed that up with "we have GREAT brewing water!" and this was at a time when I was making very bad pale beers so I was confused about how he was getting decent blonde ales and pilsners.

I love the "we have great brewing water" as they are standing next to the RO machine in the brewery.

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

I always go into water treatment in my tours if people are interested.  Oakshire doesn't do a lot, but they do some.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

I love the "we have great brewing water" as they are standing next to the RO machine in the brewery.

Well, in this case the guy only had a good-sized filter that he was running the water through... mostly for chlorine, probably. I do think that the water I use for brewing is actually very good if it wasn't for the 138ppm of bicarb and even that is manageable if you know how. I didn't realize how good it really was until I saw other people's numbers. :covreyes:

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

can't say I've witnessed that one but LOL!

#35 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

Now that I have a brewery a few blocks from my house, I should ask the guys what they do to our water. On the other hand, I already know what I do to our water...

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

Now that I have a brewery a few blocks from my house, I should ask the guys what they do to our water. On the other hand, I already know what I do to our water...

What brewery?

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

What brewery?

Winter Hill

#38 Genesee Ted