#1 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

well, we wrapped a solid season for the oldest this year, some minor bumps and bruises, but not what went down last season.  Varsity squad finished the regular season 9-0 and won the first round of the state playoffs.  He was excited and had a good time this year, finally....  well, during the off-season he's been hittin the weights hard and gaining some weight and getting taller, he's already as tall as I am, by end of school year he should have me by an inch or so.  as long as he packs on his typical 20+ lbs per year he'll be in biz.  He's shooting for 30 though which should have him over 6-1 and up to about 175-180 by the time the season begins.  Nice size for a Junior.

This weekend he started with a new QB coach, guy named Jeff Christensen (drafted by cinci back in the early 80's).  If you don't believe he's the best in the country just ask him, he will definitely tell you he is.  He is one arrogant ass, but he has the resume to back up his claims and once you've been around him a little he's a likeable guy, easy to get the wrong impression from him though if you don't give him a chance.  Son likes that he doesn't pull punches, if you suck he flat out tells you "that sucked.  how did I tell you to do it?".  He does work with Pro QB's like Garoppolo, Cousins, Siemian, Osweiler, Tannehill and others.  I won't lie, the dude is good.  On day one he RIPPED my sons throwing mechanics apart, he's tearing him down and changing literally everything.  from the grip on the ball to the ball placement while he's making his dropback, foot positioning before/during/after the throw, arm motion, upper body placement and follow through.  should make the kid MUCH more deadly this season as long as he sticks with the program and keeps working it.  he's also signed up for an indoor 7-on-7 program to help keep these new skills sharp as his HS summer camp near (first week of june)

Youngest boy had a bit rougher of a season.  we moved up to the next weight class this season and the team I drafted was predominately 6th graders, of the 20 on the team there were only five 7th grade boys.  So we were young but we still fought hard and made the first round of the playoffs but got beat in the first round by the eventual championship winner.  Important thing though was that we all had a ton of fun and he's excited to play next season, though he wants to start transitioning to a WR instead of QB.  This isn't a skill I can teach him, but he already has good hands he just needs to know how to run routes and start learning the finer points of the position.  we will likley send him to the same academy as his big brother since WR training is only $20/session (~2.5hrs).  It was a fun year.

I feel blessed that I am able to do these things with them and for them.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40357 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Sounds great. It is awesome you are actively involved. My son has been with mostly the same boys for two years and there are boys on the team who's fathers have never made a game, let alone a practice.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

Sounds great. It is awesome you are actively involved. My son has been with mostly the same boys for two years and there are boys on the team who's fathers have never made a game, let alone a practice.

I just can't wrap my head around a dad who doesn't want to do these things with his kid, at the very least show up and watch.  I understand life gets in the way and not everyone can spend time like I can (as I said, I feel blessed that I'm fortunate enough to be able to).  but really, a game is on saturday, if you work saturday, make practice at least once in a while and watch there, take a day off once a season.  the whole "cat's in the cradle" thing ya know??

#4 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22186 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

Funny you posted this. Earlier this afternoon, i thought about how we haven't heard anything about your boys lately.

Sounds like they are doing great! Your kids are lucky to have a dad that cares about them like you do.

#5 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20018 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

At some point will the oldest get to play QB and actually throw or is it just triple option and 4 passes a game?

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:53 PM

At some point will the oldest get to play QB and actually throw or is it just triple option and 4 passes a game?

we're trying to use the 7on7 for his passing highlights and hopefully we'll get a few full pad highlights also.  the coach knows he's a passer and he throws more when he's in...  but probably only 10-12x per game.

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8903 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

I wanted to be there while my kid played hockey. He didn't like it so I didn't force him. Now he is a computer kid
Does he play defense as well? You never know where he may be most talented

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

well, 7 on 7 practice started for the oldest boy last night....  he is being coached by former NFL Players Alex Brown, Adrian Peterson, Jason McKie, and Johnny Knox  (all former Chicago Bears players from the Lovie Smith era).

I was proud of him last night, he has kids from all over the county playing on this team, several from two of the teams in our conference and several from other teams in the county (including McKie's son, who is quite good).  it was kind of funny, he's 15 right now (for another few weeks) and they had him throwin to the 18u WR's and CB's.  he's gotta work on his velocity, he throws it so hard he was blowing thru the hands of the WR's, one ball actually blew thru the hands and hit Johnny Knox in the chest (he was watching the receivers route and not the ball) and Alex Brown laughed at him.  Son thought his biggest competition would be from a sophmore kid from our "sister" school based on what people have said about the kid, but come to find out the kid just sucks, no velocity, scattered accuracy even on short throws and bebops around all cocky like he's a shoe-in.  so right now it looks like they have 2 qb's for the 18U team and 3 for the 16U team.  the ~other~ qb on the 18U team is a big boy, like 6-2 and about 190-200lbs, probably a senior based on his appearance.  still missing Jay's velocity but he's accurate on the fades and such

Son was a bit nervous going in, but started smiling when they started doing pre-practice measurements on vertical and broad jumps and his was the highest and longest there.  they just measured how far up he could go to touch, which was 10'6", next closest was 9'9", on standing broad jump he hit 10'2".  after that he started to loosen up and once he got out there throwing his groove started coming in and he was just money on the dig, out, and slant routes even under tight man coverage.

Standing next to the weight rack is Alex Brown, then Adrian Peterson, Jason McKie in the green shirt and sitting on the right with the black baseball hat is Johnny Knox

16142593_1417656971598350_64541542759176

I got to spend about 15-20 minutes talking with Alex Brown, he is a very cool guy, and a BIG monkeyfighter, he's gotta be 6-4ish and 250-275.  He LOVES being out there with the boys, he has fun and jokes around with them while working them out.

I think this is going to be a good experience for him

#9 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40357 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

That is pretty awesome.

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

as a long time packer fan I'm having a little cognitive dissonance with this arrangement.  especially since the Lovie era bears teams pretty well pwned the pack.

#11 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

signed up for our first "camp" of the year this week.  Registered him for the Nike Elite 11 regional here at Halas Hall (within sight of my office).  It will be his first chance to be stacked up against national level QB's and see where his stats fall.  They will measure 40yd dash, 20yd shuttle, vertical jump, and kneeling power ball toss, I had to look it up, youtube link below, basically a two handed 6lb medicine ball toss from your knees

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6Sy6apQfY

he is completely jacked about his training and the upcoming season man, he's consuming like 4000+ calories per day and probably could use more, huge doses of protein, approximately 1g per pound of body weight, hitting the weight room 1-2 hrs per day 5 days per week with the strength coach at the HS and throwing at least half an hour per day.  he's a sophomore right now, he's hoping that during his senior year he's about 6-2 or 6-3 and about 190-200lbs.  as long as he maintains his speed he's going to have the physical tools he needs to get some attention in college.  His measured throwing velocity is 51mph (his coach used a radar gun for that), for reference, Dak Prescott threw it 54mph and Connor Cook threw 50mph at the nfl combine.  Paxton Lynch won the velocity competition last season at 59.  So he's got the arm he needs to compete at a high level, he just needs to get some size on his narrow ass and continue to improve his accuracy.  having the physical tools to work with is a huge thing and he's getting there, still a long way to go, but he seems to be doing all the right stuff

#12 awall

awall

Comptroller of Being a Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10384 posts
  • LocationRowley

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

how do they do with the mental side? he can be a skinny kid for a few more years, even into early college as long as he has the mental tools.

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20018 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Where is he on the depth chart? Does he need to transfer to a private school that runs a offense that throws. I assume the coach has a "running back" playing QB since they run the triple option.

If cost is an issue some of the private school give scholarships. My cousin's son is playing frosh basketball at a Catholic school on a scholarship.

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

how do they do with the mental side? he can be a skinny kid for a few more years, even into early college as long as he has the mental tools.

at this point not a lot on the mental side, aside from his grades, they are mostly trying to measure physical tools right now.  his biggest obstacle going into college recruiting will be overcoming the biases that spread passing teams get versus him being in an option offense that throws maybe 5-7x per game.  so when he does get pass plays he needs to make the most of it and also be able to run option well to show off his speed and decision making in the heat of the game.

#15 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

Where is he on the depth chart? Does he need to transfer to a private school that runs a offense that throws. I assume the coach has a "running back" playing QB since they run the triple option.

If cost is an issue some of the private school give scholarships. My cousin's son is playing frosh basketball at a Catholic school on a scholarship.

our coach does not have a RB at qb, they have actual QB's.  right now he's #2 on the depth chart so his big break will be his Senior year, unless he manages to steal the spot away which will be tough since the current starter was all-conference last season

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

7on7 started games a couple weeks back (off for easter weekend) and we've come out of the gate strong winning our first two games.  Oldest boy really doing well, he's making the correct reads and getting the ball to the receiver very well.  his training is paying off nicely. 

and then there's the info we're getting from our coaches at the HS.  they spent about a week at Navy with their coaches to figure out a passing scheme for their triple option offense because they have a passing QB available to them now and are going to be adding spread formations to the rotation as well.  During the playoff run this year Jay commanded the scout offense for the starter defense (essentially the JV team O) and he was able to destroy the varsity D in practice, I think that's why they are seeing this opportunity.  Looks like Jay has a legit shot to be the Varsity starter this year.  The rumor we're hearing is that Jay is likely the starter and they will move the Senior All-Conference QB out to RB/WR (has a touch more girth and a little more speed than Jay) and we still have the two bruiser running backs from last year but lost our speed RB cuz he was a senior (playing at Northern MI now).

So, looks like he's going to get his shot this year as long as things keep rolling.  The hard work is beginning to pay off.  the other QB in his class (2019) has given up on being anything more than a backup and has decided that he will be a linebacker as his primary position and stay as a backup QB, so no competition there anymore for his senior year, only has to throw the ball better than the current starter (which he does) and improve a little at option, which he does ok, but lacks the physical stature to be real effective on the keeps (for now).  I'm glad he's been patient and working hard.  Now he just has to keep his grades up, he's like a 2.5 student and that easily keeps him eligible, but I think he needs more and it is a source of frustration between him and his mom.  I'm hoping this "shot" will give him the motivation he needs to stay on top of his shit, this is the opportunity he's been waiting for

#17 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20018 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

That is great that the coaching staff is willing to tweak the offense to add more passing

#18 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

well, let's hope 'adding more passing' doesn't mean going from 5-6 passes per game to 8-10.  I'd like to see more like 20+ per game, we'll see though, should have a good feel for how its gonna shake out by mid-end of July

#19 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40357 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

It will most likely depend on the strengths of the RB corp. A triple option coach usually stays with the run until he doesn't have the beef to do so.

#20 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53819 posts
  • LocationAntioch, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

It will most likely depend on the strengths of the RB corp. A triple option coach usually stays with the run until he doesn't have the beef to do so.

we have an impressive O-line, 3-4 300+lbers.  our running back corp though isn't "beefy", but they are hard runners that fit the stereotype   of meathead football players (one quits taking his Bipolar meds thursday evening and starts taking them again after the game on friday, kid is crazy).  what we've seen in the past is a lack of WR's and lack of will to throw, though we are quite successful throwing when we do, we just wait until we're down 3td's to do much of it.  this season, if they move the QB from last year out to WR we actually have 3-4 quality receivers on our side.  last season we passed for 2td's all season (JV team passed for like 16).  the problem we had is that any defense knew we literally run the ball on 95% of the plays (that's an actual run vs pass percentage), so the team that smashed us in teh playoffs had their deep safety playing 5yds off the ball, they put 10 men in the box and a corner out on our one WR just in case.  we scored one FG in that game.  probably less than 100yds total offense.  if was an old school beat down and our only loss last season, unfortunately it was in the playoffs and ended the run.  I think the coaches recognize that since we do not have a 35-40 TD per season runner we need to be able to pass in order to take it to the next level and make an actual run at state.  like i said, i'll believe it when I see it, but right now it looks promising.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users