#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

I finally decided to take the leap and upgrade to a real kegerator. My trusty cobra taps served me well (pun intended) for 4 years but after seeing some of the kegerators on here, I got a little kegerator envy. So here’s how it went:First I researched the snot out of it like I do most things and ended up ordering perlicks, 4” stainless shanks, ¼” Stainless MFL connectors, ¼” Stainless barbed swivel nuts, neoprene washers, flared nylon washers, a 4-way gas distributor, and 45’ of foam-free 3/16” bev line. And here it is, the day happiness arrived:Posted ImageLooking inside my kegerator also explained my motivation. A mess of gas and serving lines, taps, and really annoying beer drip stains. Having to always put the cobra tap back inside invariably some would drip making this scene.:Posted ImageHere’s where I started. I won’t cover building a collar as others have already done that very well. I chose cedar for mine. One thing to remember is to seal the wood before washing anything! As you’ll see later I accidentally got it wet causing some streaks. Now I am going to have to sand it down and re-finish but oh well.Posted ImageMeasure twice, cut once. First I measured the full width of the collar as I decided I wanted them evenly spaced. Since I was installing 5, I would have 6 spaces total so divide the total by 6. I put masking tape across the top for marking it up:Posted ImageI ended up with some fine math and each hole would have to be 6” and 19/32nds apart.Posted ImageBy personal preference I decided how far down the face of the collar I wanted each tap, I chose 3” from the top and drew a line along the bottom edge of my square:Posted ImageThen I lengthened the square, lined it up with the top mark and marked the drilling spot:Posted ImageTime to drill. Always drill a pilot first!!Posted ImageThen I got out the 7/8” hole saw and finished the job:Posted ImageEverything all drilled. Here you can see my error with the water stains.Posted Image

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Taps installed!Posted ImageMmmmm so shiny…Posted ImageThen I decided, face it, my kegerator is ugly and I have no way to label these beers until I have time to spin some handles. Enter, chalkboard paint!Posted ImageNow that’s how you pour a homebrew!Posted ImageAnd the after shot. Much cleaner, and no more beer stains inside! Yes there is still 1 cobra tap left as it’s got a brett beer in it and I figured no point in changing out that tubing!Posted Image

#3 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

Always drill a pilot first!!

Does a stewardess count?Looks good... although I think you left out the picture of the paper towels on the floor. Need to invest in a drip tray of some sort. It'll be tough thinking of a way to cover that much space with one. You'll definitely need one if you ever get a stout faucet. Those suckers drip like crazy.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Does a stewardess count?Looks good... although I think you left out the picture of the paper towels on the floor. Need to invest in a drip tray of some sort. It'll be tough thinking of a way to cover that much space with one. You'll definitely need one if you ever get a stout faucet. Those suckers drip like crazy.

You are just jealous of my easy cleanup drip tray.

#5 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

You are just jealous of my easy cleanup drip tray.

True... but if I tried that, it would do more damage to the carpet in my den than having Guest over.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Nice work. Congrats on the upgrade. When I built my kegerator last May I went straight to taps and never gave the Cobras a thought. Then I was given the Blichman Beergun and had to split my gas bottle at the regulator. For the last 4 months I have had 3 additional kegs in the other freezer thats not converted and used picnics for those too. I like the top you got on yours. Is that the chalkboard paint? I need to do that on mine, looks better than a dry erase board.

#7 buzhazzard

buzhazzard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Nice work.Sucks about sanding down the collar to refinish though.

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Does a stewardess count?

:) :devil: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

#9 Jimvy

Jimvy