#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

Its been requested that I knock out a cream ale in the near future as summer approaches. My basic recipe is something along the lists of (don't have notes in front of me).60-70% 50/50 split of 2row and 6row30-40% flaked maze~20 IBU's of something like Sazz, mostly bittering with a small flavor addition.It doesnt' look like we have much on these in the new recipe forum, what do you all have up your sleeves?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

I would use corn, but personally, I would dial it down just a little. Whenever I think I'm making a beer that will be a summertime, possibly-consumed-by-BMCers, I always think about fermenting low (60° or even lower) to get a clean profile and also about using some amount of distilled water so the overall profile of the beer is smoother & thirst-quenching. My local tap water is a bit hard and when you make a beer like this, the finish can be a little "clunky" if you don't use some softer water. Otherwise... looking good. Cheers.

#3 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

Looking at my recipe, I see I use about 20% flaked corn, and 8 ounces of lactose added at 15 minutes left to the boil. I also use Wyeast 2112 and primary/secondary at 60'. I mash at 148-150' so it can hopefully attenuate well. It goes fast, so I guess those that drink it like it.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

I would use corn, but personally, I would dial it down just a little. Whenever I think I'm making a beer that will be a summertime, possibly-consumed-by-BMCers, I always think about fermenting low (60° or even lower) to get a clean profile and also about using some amount of distilled water so the overall profile of the beer is smoother & thirst-quenching. My local tap water is a bit hard and when you make a beer like this, the finish can be a little "clunky" if you don't use some softer water. Otherwise... looking good. Cheers.

Luckily I've got pretty good water, snow pack runoff.

Looking at my recipe, I see I use about 20% flaked corn, and 8 ounces of lactose added at 15 minutes left to the boil. I also use Wyeast 2112 and primary/secondary at 60'. I mash at 148-150' so it can hopefully attenuate well. It goes fast, so I guess those that drink it like it.

Why lactose? Isn't this supposed to simulate a crisp/dry beer? Or are you going for a the literal "Cream" in there. ;p

#5 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Luckily I've got pretty good water, snow pack runoff.Why lactose? Isn't this supposed to simulate a crisp/dry beer? Or are you going for a the literal "Cream" in there. ;p

It adds a slight creamy texture that compliments the crispness that comes from the low temp mash, high attenuating fermentation.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

I have to say that I've tried to make a beer like this with 2112 and I was not impressed. I do like that yeast and it seems perfectly suited for this style... ferments at low temps, flocs like a MOFO so it should result in a nice, bright beer... but everytime I try it, my results are not good. I use White Labs 01 in my blonde ale and I really like the "gold ale" profile I get in there. You can ferment it pretty low (lower than the guidelines say) and come up with an ultra-clean beer. Good thread... especially for this time of year. Cheers.

#7 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

I did a few cream ales with WLP001 and liked it, but it wasn't clean enough for me; that was before I was able to really control my fermentation temps like I can now. I may have to revisit that yeast for this style to see what kind of results I can get. I do brew a lot of hybrids, so using 2112 fits easily into my schedule. Anybody use 001 at 58-60'? :covreyes:

#8 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

I did a few cream ales with WLP001 and liked it, but it wasn't clean enough for me; that was before I was able to really control my fermentation temps like I can now. I may have to revisit that yeast for this style to see what kind of results I can get. I do brew a lot of hybrids, so using 2112 fits easily into my schedule. Anybody use 001 at 58-60'? :covreyes:

I always shoot for 57-60 with us-05. Close enough of a profile to 001 for me, some say there's a peach ester present but I can't find it.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

I have used White Labs 01 with a few of my beers between 55° and 60°. The profile of the yeast is really clean at that temp and as long as everything was done properly and the water is relatively soft, you might swear you were drinking a pilsner or something. It's best to do this when using some harvested slurry as opposed to right out of the vial or a starter because there would be a larger volume of yeast and I think it would be able to handle the lower-than-normal temps. Cheers.

#10 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

I have used White Labs 01 with a few of my beers between 55° and 60°. The profile of the yeast is really clean at that temp and as long as everything was done properly and the water is relatively soft, you might swear you were drinking a pilsner or something. It's best to do this when using some harvested slurry as opposed to right out of the vial or a starter because there would be a larger volume of yeast and I think it would be able to handle the lower-than-normal temps. Cheers.

I don't have a problem getting two vials and making a half-gallon starter with each if that would be enough. I would really like to see if I can detect a difference in taste between the 001 and 2112. I have another Cream Ale lined up for the end of the month, so I guess this looks like a good chance to give the 001 a try in it.Thanks!

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Yeah I didn't mention I usually use US-05 fermented cool in my controlled freezer. I was thinking low 60s but this thread is making wonder about sub 60s now...

It adds a slight creamy texture that compliments the crispness that comes from the low temp mash, high attenuating fermentation.

That is what my nitro tap is for. :covreyes:

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Its been requested that I knock out a cream ale in the near future as summer approaches. My basic recipe is something along the lists of (don't have notes in front of me).60-70% 50/50 split of 2row and 6row30-40% flaked maze~20 IBU's of something like Sazz, mostly bittering with a small flavor addition.It doesnt' look like we have much on these in the new recipe forum, what do you all have up your sleeves?

80% 2 Row15% flaked maize5% flaked barley1-2 ounces of Perle at 60 minutesUS 05

#13 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

I'm going to be brewing another batch of my Black Lab Cream Ale here in a few weeks and considered using Kolsch yeast.....thoughts?

#14 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28446 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

I'm going to be brewing another batch of my Black Lab Cream Ale here in a few weeks and considered using Kolsch yeast.....thoughts?

I'd say any dry/crisp yeast fermented cool will do the trick on this one. Brew on!

#15 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

I've only made it once (with two different yeasts), dead simple but tasty enough that when I want ("need" more like, since it's more for certain guests) another one I'll probably do something very similar. This relies heavily on the aroma and flavor of Belgian pilsner malt, which I enjoy. Basically 80/15/5 pilsen/corn/sugar except a bit of the pilsen is replaced with acid malt for pH purposes. I carbed it pretty heavily, to accentuate the crisp dryness and give it a bit more bite absent in the hop profile. I made this with Bell's yeast and also with Bridgeport yeast from the bottle (which is a lager strain apparently, both around 62° for 4 days then up to 68 for about 10days to finish off. I liked the Bell's better, but any clean strain that can handle the low temps would work. I'd be interested in trying this recipe with American II."Cream-me" Cream Ale Batch Size: 5.50 galBoil Size: 6.94 galBoil Time: 75 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 7 lbs 10.0 oz Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 76.25 % 1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 15.00 % 6.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 3.75 % 0.25 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU 0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (5 min) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.00 % 8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.00 % 1 Pkgs Bell's (LP Bank #LPB BEL) Yeast-Ale Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 % Bitterness: 16.3 IBU Calories: 240 cal/pint Est Color: 3.0 SRM Mash Profile Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb Sparge Water: 3.46 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F Mash PH: 5.4 PH Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp 75 min Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 161.8 F 148.0 F 10 min Mash Out Add 7.60 qt of water at 205.5 F 168.0 F Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.8 Pressure/Weight: 15.5 PSI Carbonation Used: - Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 14.0 days Storage Temperature: 42.0 F

#16 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

Cream AleA ProMash Recipe ReportRecipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00Total Grain (Lbs): 12.60Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.1Anticipated SRM: 4.1Anticipated IBU: 26.3Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %Wort Boil Time: 60 MinutesGrain/Extract/Sugar % Amount Name Origin Potential SRM----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 81.0 10.20 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2 9.5 1.20 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6 9.5 1.20 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.Hops Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.25 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 22.5 60 min. 0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 3.0 20 min. 0.25 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.8 5 min.Yeast-----White Labs WLP051 California Ale VThis is a nice easy drinking beer for the summer. enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users