3 replies to this topic

#1 TCBLF

TCBLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

I am fermenting my first batch of cider. 5 gal Trader Joes 100% apple juice, 2lbs light DME and Nottingham yeast. It’s been fermenting 2 weeks and the air lock has stopped bubbling 4 days ago. My question is it OK transfer to the secondary and condition in the fridge for 2 weeks? Or should it keep it conditioning at 67 degrees?Any advice will help..Cheers

#2 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

From my experience airlock activity is a poor way of measuring fermentation. The only reliable way to ensure fermentation is complete is to measure the specific gravity. For this a hydrometer would be your best friend and should be readily available for under $10 at your LHBS. I'd highly recommend picking one up (if you don't already own one) and measuring the SG for a few days. If it remains unchanged for a few days then I'd say go ahead and rack it.

#3 TCBLF

TCBLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

I could not live/brew without my hydrometer nor my refractometer. I was going to start checking the gravity tonight. So if the fermentation has stopped is it fine to condition in the fridge???

#4 Hillbilly Deluxe

Hillbilly Deluxe

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2595 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'm currently brewing apple cider too... 6 gallons of Edwort's Apfelwein. Just use a primary until it clears (no longer cloudy). Probably going to be 6 weeks total or more. Then carbonate or leave flat, I'm told it's like white wine if left flat... temp wise my basement is 66 degrees. Nottingham ferments out dry... .999 ish for this batchgood luck..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users