#21 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Have a regular supply of those here. I love Pilsner Urquell, so I buy them fairly often. It's actually a better deal than the bottles at $8.99/67.6 oz = $0.13.3/oz. vs. $9.99/72 oz. = $0.139/oz, and no light struck issues. Love it. 

#22 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

just make accelerated maturation part of your fermentation profile.

Yes!

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Grabbed a few of these 16oz PU cans today with the different can designs.  To my delight the diacetyl in the one I just opened is barely detectable.  Chils, when I was over in Europe I had a lot of Pilsner Urquell and never tasted diacetyl and was so surprised that I tasted it in these cans.  Hopefully all four that I bought are D-free or at least low-D.  :lol:   

narfp.jpg

#24 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Those cans are awesome. The ones I got on the cruise had no D and were much fresher than the bottles I get here in AR.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

I was listening to a podcast today talking about PU and how they will not get rid of their copper kettles... I guess no lodo for them :)

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

I had that can of PU (as it warmed the diacetyl was more evident) and then I moved onto a 16oz can of DAB that I bought recently.  Both had subtle issues and I suppose I could track that back to the travel, possible mishandling and maybe age although both have BEST dates of December 2018.  It occurs to me that when things go right here and I'm using good, high-quality malt, fresh hops and fresh & active yeast and I make a style like this... it's truly fantastic and my guess is that freshness and proper handling is one component.  I really have no idea what the deal is with the D in the Pilsner Urquell.  That just seems wrong, wrong, wrong.  

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:57 PM

Never had this beer fresh. Ordered one from the tap at a bar in NYC a few years ago and it was wretched so obviously bad lines or very old or something. Locally I only find the bottles, and I find them at a location where I know they’ve been on the shelf a loooooooong time.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:00 PM

Never had this beer fresh. Ordered one from the tap at a bar in NYC a few years ago and it was wretched so obviously bad lines or very old or something. Locally I only find the bottles, and I find them at a location where I know they’ve been on the shelf a loooooooong time.

Yeah, that's a bad sign.  In Vienna, Bratalslava and Prague it was common to see places with their Pilsner Urquell sign out front and the draft PU is fantastic.  There is almost no point in having it here unless it's super fresh and I suppose the cans do help keep things fresher both by letting in no light and also controlling O2 intrusion.  But the difference is so stark it's like two different beers.  

#29 Merlinwerks

Merlinwerks

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

I got something very similar here in Western PA last Christmas. Four cans in a PU lunchbox being marketed as gift boxes. I have not seen them otherwise, but I have not looked that hard either. Beer was very good.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:31 AM

I got something very similar here in Western PA last Christmas. Four cans in a PU lunchbox being marketed as gift boxes. I have not seen them otherwise, but I have not looked that hard either. Beer was very good.

Sounds like a good lunch to me!

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

At some point here I'm going to try to make a nice Czech pale lager with some Saaz hops.  I'll make it with 2278 which I like but it probably won't be much like Pilsner Urquell but hopefully in the spirit.  

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

At some point here I'm going to try to make a nice Czech pale lager with some Saaz hops.  I'll make it with 2278 which I like but it probably won't be much like Pilsner Urquell but hopefully in the spirit.  

something I'd like to get back to trying as well.  czech lagers really got me back into lagers in the early 2000s.

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Initial pulls of the last one I posted in the recipe forum are pretty promising. https://brews-bros.c...o-14°-cz-amber/

Malty, hoppy, very Saazy character from the sterling. Color dark gold to light amber. If I wanted it more like PU I'd swap the percentages of the pils and pale ale and drop the caravienne, prolly keep hops the same.

#34 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Shipping beer is a challenge locally, much less halfway around the world. These types of beer don’t travel well. I have had a few PUs on draft recently that have been fantastic though. Makes sense though, draft beer is usually fresher and kept cold. I always get a good chuckle out of “Best by” dates. There aren’t really any standards that I am aware of in the US about how long a beer is allowed to be dated. As a consumer, I would be much more concerned with packaging date than some phony date. What if that PU was packaged a year ago? Is it magically bad by December?

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:26 PM

I forgot to post the latest can images I drank over the weekend.

33er981.jpg

2dky13m.jpg

I have one left downstairs and it's blue.  Cool cans for sure.  

#36 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

I'd love to get my hands on your cans Ken. We can't get those here. Brown bottles only with 1/2 the flavor they should have.

Edited by Steve Urquell, 05 July 2018 - 04:07 PM.

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'd love to get my hands on your cans Ken. We can't get those here. Brown bottles only with 1/2 the flavor they should have.

:lol:

Really, brown bottles?  I feel like the last time I had a bottle of Pilsner Urquell it was green.  

#38 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

:lol:

Really, brown bottles?  I feel like the last time I had a bottle of Pilsner Urquell it was green.  

pilsner-urquell-brown-bottle.jpg

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

Huh.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users