#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:05 PM

I just got back from Charleston after a cruise to the Bahamas. Almost freaked when I saw the tan can sitting behind the bar. I didn't know it was Urquell so I asked for the Prazdroj Czech Pilsner. He brought me the teal can labeled Pilsner Urquell. Drank the hell out of on the whole cruise. I saw one other can but can't remember what the color was. Looks like they are doing something to honor their heritage. I wish I could get these here, all we have is the brown bottles. Anyone else getting these?

hhAyaHq.png

CaNf0s2.jpg?1

JD5NtH3.png

Bn0I1pr.png

jbxf6rW.jpg

#2 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:05 AM

I've seen these in 4 packs around here the last 2 summers. There might have been a different set of labels last year. The 4 pack container says something like "paying tribute to our history". I agree that the old labels look cool.

Edited by Brauer, 26 August 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

nice cans! :lol:

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

I would not mind finding those around here.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:43 AM

I've seen these in 4 packs around here the last 2 summers. There might have been a different set of labels last year. The 4 pack container says something like "paying tribute to our history". I agree that the old labels look cool.

I wished I had cut them apart with scissors and taken them home flattened out to tack up on the garage wall. Figured TSA might not like seeing it on my bag x-ray.

nice cans! :lol:

$6 each and the beer inside was free!

I would not mind finding those around here.

Makes me wonder what the distributers are able to send nationwide. I've never seen them.

One other observation I had relating to the whole beer that has the "IT" flavor. I've never had Pil Urquell taste as good as sitting on that midship deck with the bikinis, sun, and relaxed atmosphere of vacation. I'm sure that plays into the German beer phenomenon as well.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

I wished I had cut them apart with scissors and taken them home flattened out to tack up on the garage wall. Figured TSA might not like seeing it on my bag x-ray.

$6 each and the beer inside was free!

Makes me wonder what the distributers are able to send nationwide. I've never seen them.

One other observation I had relating to the whole beer that has the "IT" flavor. I've never had Pil Urquell taste as good as sitting on that midship deck with the bikinis, sun, and relaxed atmosphere of vacation. I'm sure that plays into the German beer phenomenon as well.

I would be interested for a side by side of the can version and a bottle version.   Of course it would need to be midship for #science!

On the TSA issue.  I brought back 9 bottles of Cantillion in my luggage from Belgium last year with no issues, I am sure you would have been fine packing them.

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

I would be interested for a side by side of the can version and a bottle version. Of course it would need to be midship for #science!

On the TSA issue. I brought back 9 bottles of Cantillion in my luggage from Belgium last year with no issues, I am sure you would have been fine packing them.

True. Didnt have anything else to be packed though. We had all carry on luggage. I saw one lady with a case of Kalik from Nassau lugging it to customs.

ETA: Tasted while looking at bikinis then sitting alone in your swaying cabin as well.

Edited by chils, 26 August 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

Yes, they're available here and the designs are different. I have two downstairs in the fridge right now that are mostly green and white. But... I'll be honest: The last few times I picked them up, I swear I picked up some diacetyl. The aftertaste was quite bad. I drank PU in Prague and [of course] it was nothing like that.

fcsd5k.jpg

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:20 AM

Ken I've noticed varying amts of diacetyl in PU over the years. Didn't notice it in these but other batches have been up to loaded with it.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Ken I've noticed varying amts of diacetyl in PU over the years. Didn't notice it in these but other batches have been up to loaded with it.

I'm so glad that it wasn't just me. I found these tall 'collector'-type cans at the racetrack one day and was so happy to have it. They went down so smooth and clean and when I saw them in the store I picked up more and was appalled at the diacetyl. I thought it was my tastebuds and a few days later had another one. Ack. WTF, Pilsner Urquell! Why you gotta do that to me? :D

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

I'm so glad that it wasn't just me. I found these tall 'collector'-type cans at the racetrack one day and was so happy to have it. They went down so smooth and clean and when I saw them in the store I picked up more and was appalled at the diacetyl. I thought it was my tastebuds and a few days later had another one. Ack. WTF, Pilsner Urquell! Why you gotta do that to me? :D

That right pic is the other design I saw. Even more strange on their QC. I got a sixer of PU once that had a Belgian yeast quality to it. I thought I was completely done with it but it wasnt in later batches thank God. Some diacetyl is acceptable in Czech beers and to style. I can't make myself allow it to happen in my batches so they are never as authentic as the real deal.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:45 AM

possibly an age related issue?  i would bet these cans don't fly off the shelves.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

That right pic is the other design I saw. Even more strange on their QC. I got a sixer of PU once that had a Belgian yeast quality to it. I thought I was completely done with it but it wasnt in later batches thank God. Some diacetyl is acceptable in Czech beers and to style. I can't make myself allow it to happen in my batches so they are never as authentic as the real deal.

I thought the cans would be a great idea to keep the beer as fresh as possible and as close to the real thing as you could get. If not for the cans, PU is only available here in green bottles. It's really a strange thing because years ago I would see PU on a beer menu (at a place not known for beer) and order it right away and it was always good. My wife and I went to a street fest a couple years ago before going to a Blackhawks game and there was a tent selling draft PU. I ordered two and GACK... the diacetyl was off the charts. My wife winced and said, "WHAT ON EARTH!?" and she doesn't know PU as what we know it as... she was just wondering why it tasted that way. Then I got the cans at the racetrack which were good and then these cans from the store which were not good. Very strange for a brewery of that caliber to allow that.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Even if you wanted just a tiny touch of diacetyl in there I would think, as a home brewer, it would be very, very hard to do that with any reasonable consistency. 

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Even if you wanted just a tiny touch of diacetyl in there I would think, as a home brewer, it would be very, very hard to do that with any reasonable consistency.

The consistency would be tough but I seem to have been able to do it (accidentally) by not letting the beer warm up for long enough between primary and cold-crashing. Personally I do not care for any level of diacetyl in beer so I would do everything possible to make sure it wasn't there. I have had cold, carbed kegs show a bit of diacetyl and I have placed the keg in a warm spot, swirled it and left it for a week and then get it cold again and it has worked. I wouldn't *want* to do that but it works.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

The consistency would be tough but I seem to have been able to do it (accidentally) by not letting the beer warm up for long enough between primary and cold-crashing. Personally I do not care for any level of diacetyl in beer so I would do everything possible to make sure it wasn't there. I have had cold, carbed kegs show a bit of diacetyl and I have placed the keg in a warm spot, swirled it and left it for a week and then get it cold again and it has worked. I wouldn't *want* to do that but it works.

The only time I remember getting diacetyl in a beer I did the same thing. Let it warm up for a week or two and it disappeared.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

Could be from warming up post packaging. If the precursor is there, Diacetyl can develop if stored warm, then, without the yeast there to clean it up, its there to stay.

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Could be from warming up post packaging. If the precursor is there, Diacetyl can develop if stored warm, then, without the yeast there to clean it up, its there to stay.

Makes sense to me.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

I actually have to be careful of diacetyl more now that I've changed my process.  I used to go to a secondary and sit at basement temp until it went to a keg which was a sort of "forced d-rest"... it just happened.  But now I go from primary to keg and sometimes I still have a beer in the fridge when it really needs to go to a keg so I *MUST* remember a few days prior to get it out of the fridge or else it has to sit in the keg for a few days at room temp before I get it cold.  Of course, my QC is much better than Pilsner Urquell so... :P

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

just make accelerated maturation part of your fermentation profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users