34 replies to this topic

#1 TCBLF

TCBLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Yup I have gathered everything I need to start producing 10 gallon all grain batches. Is it simply bumping up the recipe ingredients to match 10 gal batches? Or are there other things I need to be doing or thinking about?Thanks

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

I just did my first 10 gallon batch this last weekend. See: https://www.brews-br...p?showtopic=882Wasn't really any more work than a 5 gallon batch except for things were a little heavier, and I had two carboys full of beer to carry around.The only thing I would suggest to be aware of, is that you are going to end up with 10 gallons of beer which is much better than 5 gallons. And just a little more work. https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif :cussing:

#3 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19219 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

Basically take your 5 gallon batch and scale it for 5 more. So, if you brew a 6 gallon batch for kettle loss etc, scale it up for 11 gallons.

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

I forgot to mention, I think next time I am going to try and make a big starter for the yeast and split it between the two carboys so I don't have to buy two tubes.Until I get myself fermentation vessels that are capable of fermenting 10 gallons in one unit. :cussing:

#5 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Just remember that evaporation is a function of surface area and time, not volume. So your evaporation will be the same at 10 gallons as it was at 5. Also, if you are using the same pot don't forget about boilover. 10 gallons boils over in a keggle a lot easier than 5. And it is easy to forget about boilover when you have been doing 5 gallons in a keggle. Try to minimize the lifting and carrying of the full boil kettle. 11 gallons plus the weight of the pot is really heavy. If possible elevate your mash tun so that you can drain directly into the kettle while it is on the burner, that way you don't have to worry about picking it up at all.

#6 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

I dont think I'll be going to 10 gals anytime soon, but if I did I'd have to change a few things. I'd have to refill my HLT halfway through the sparge. I'd have to recalibrate my measuring stick/spoon to read volumes higher than 8 gals, I'm thinking I'd have to get about 12-13 gals preboil. I'd have to make sure the immersion chiller isnt completely submerged. I'd also have to allow more time for the boil and make sure my burner can handle the weight. That's about all I can think of now. Everyone's system is different, but that's what I would have to change.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

Be aware you will be drinking more. I switched to 10 gallons and have not looked back. Lets me get more time in between brew sessions ..and that makes the wife happy!!

#8 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

Make sure your mash tun can handle the extra grain...

#9 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

Lets me get more time in between brew sessions ..and that makes the wife happy!!

A huge plus in my household too! A couple other things I have been doing since scaling up to 10 gallons:- pitching different yeast strains into each of 2x5gal carboys- dry-hopping each 5-gal carboy with a different hop(s) in secondary- Fermenting each carboy at different temperatures - Aging some of the beer longer, stashing 1/4 or so of the batch somewhere (you can do this with any batch size, but it is easier done in my household with a larger batch size Basically it's given me some flexibility in terms of conducting my own experiments on fermentation and dry-hopping.

#10 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21369 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

When I went AG, (the Dark Side) is bought everything for 10 gallon batches right off the bat.I don't think I've done a 5 gallon batch since going to the Dark Side.

#11 TCBLF

TCBLF

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Right On!!!Thanks for all the comments and tips. I am fired up. Now that I have a 3 tier brew stand, natural gas hook up, and two freshly converted Keggels. (Boil and HLT)I guess I will not be looking back at 5 gallons anymore. I like the tip of trying different yeasts in each carboy and different dry hop ratios.Please keep more info coming. It is much appreciated. :cussing:

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21369 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

One other thing to consider, the dumping of 20# of grain. It's a lot of spent grain to get rid of at one time. I compost mine and save a couple of cups of each type for making bread.I add 1 cup of spent grain to the dough and it makes really good stuff.

#13 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

One other thing to consider, the dumping of 20# of grain.

Or 30+ with a maxed out mash tun while making a barleywine... :cussing:

#14 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35392 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

I dont have any desire to go to 10 gallon batches. As it is, I dont drink *that* much beer at home. It might take me 2 months to empty a corney keg if its just my wife and I drinking it. Obviously faster if I have a party.Sounds like more of the kind of work I dont like (heavy lifting of large glass containers), and I kinda like when I kick a keg since I usually have something else tasty waiting in the wings for its turn in the kegerator :cussing:

#15 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

One other thing to consider, the dumping of 20# of grain. It's a lot of spent grain to get rid of at one time. I compost mine and save a couple of cups of each type for making bread.I add 1 cup of spent grain to the dough and it makes really good stuff.

yes and spreading it out in the woods is ok but if you don't spread thin...that shtuff will stink. i just usually put in in the trash receptacle for general pickup. when we did a trip brew session a while back we filled up two trash bins..watched the trash men empty it a few days later. they were puzzled by the contents.

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

My brew buddy has 3 chickens. Those chickens make QUICK work of a big pile of spent grain. He said it is actually kind of freaky how into the spent grain they are, and that they actually are producing more eggs since feeding them the spent grain. :cussing:

#17 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35392 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

I usually take my spent grains and put them in a garbage bag and tie it off. My wife likes to mix some of it into her vegetable gardens as it seems to act as a good fertilizer. One time I left a trashbag full of grains tied up in the backyard, expecting my wife to use some before throwing it out...but we both forgot about it. 2 weeks later, I am in the backyard and I hear a *POOF* sound come from a corner near the house, followed by a wretched stench most foul that I believe Satan himself might shy away from. The grains must have self-fermented in the bag and blew a stinky fart all over my backyard...whew...we had to leave for a few hours and come back when the stench had subsided enough that I could re-bag it and get it away from the house...

#18 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

My brew buddy has 3 chickens. Those chickens make QUICK work of a big pile of spent grain. He said it is actually kind of freaky how into the spent grain they are, and that they actually are producing more eggs since feeding them the spent grain. :cussing:

Hops or no hops? I'm always looking for a better place to dump my grain and some friends just got some chickens/ducks...

#19 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hops or no hops? I'm always looking for a better place to dump my grain and some friends just got some chickens/ducks...

No hops. I don't mash my hops

#20 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

No hops. I don't mash my hops

Lol, that was a brain fart on my part. :scratch: The only reason my hops end up with my spent grain is because I pour them on the pile when I am done brewing. They could just as easily not be poured on the pile... :covreyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users