#1 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5512 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Really enjoy this author.  He has like 5 books - all non fiction.  I've listened to all of them as he is a good reader.

Then, this year, he started a podcast called Revisionist History.  This link will take you to his page, but it's currently advertising episode 9.  https://revisionisthistory.com

The podcast is fantastic.  

Start with "Blame Game"

"In the summer and fall of 2009, hundreds of Toyota owners came forward with an alarming allegation: Their cars were suddenly and uncontrollably accelerating. Toyota was forced to recall 10 million vehicles, pay a fine of more than $1 billion, and settle countless lawsuits. The consensus was that there was something badly wrong with the world’s most popular cars. Except that there wasn’t.

“Blame Game” looks under the hood at one of the strangest public hysterias in recent memory. What really happened in all those Camrys and Lexuses? And how did so many drivers come to misunderstand so profoundly what was happening to them behind the wheel? The answer touches on our increasingly fraught relationship to technology and the dishonesty and naiveté of many in the media."

Then, I would listen to Saigon, 1965 about the Vietnam war.

#2 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23168 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Dig the author and have listened to all the podcasts. Good stuff.

#3 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14699 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

I've read Outliers and currently listening to "What the Dog Saw" as an audiobook during my commute. Good author, will definitely check the podcasts out.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55323 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

He reminds me of the comic book store nerd in big bang theory.
Podcast sonds good though. I'll give it a listen.

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14699 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:03 PM

The audiobook version of "What the Dog Saw" I'm listening to now is read by him.

I wish it were someone else. 

#6 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23168 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:10 AM

His podcasts are good, but it did take a second getting used to his voice. He sounded different when I listened to him as a guest on another podcast.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13701 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:55 AM

I wish it were someone else. 

My thoughts exactly when I listened to Outliers

#8 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14952 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:12 AM

I heard him talk about Wilt Chamberlain before. Interesting idea to pull a thread on a topic like that.

I'll check out the Toyota one. That's a really interesting situation of how they responded even though they were unfairly treated by the media and politicians. Curious on his take.

#9 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

“Blame Game” looks under the hood at one of the strangest public hysterias in recent memory. What really happened in all those Camrys and Lexuses? And how did so many drivers come to misunderstand so profoundly what was happening to them behind the wheel? The answer touches on our increasingly fraught relationship to technology and the dishonesty and naiveté of many in the media."

I got a good deal on a RAV4 because of that hysteria.  I don't think the problem is the stupid people or the media.  The problem is that the smart people just aren't taking advantage of stupid people like we used to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youre welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users