Photo

My wife won't let me be a jerk on Facebook...

politics

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12588 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

Pro tip
Don't jerk and allow the wife to know
Just sayin

FTFY

#22 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48058 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

I'm not opposed to a woman having the job...

I'm just opposed to her having the job.

For the record, the person I *wanted* for the Republican Nomination from the day Romney got the nomination was Dr. Condoleeza Rice. Seriously, I wanted her to run more than all the yahoos that tossed their hat into the ring this last time.

Pro tip

Only people asking for money or a passing grade still refer to a phd as Dr

#23 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25329 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

Pro tip

Only people asking for money or a passing grade still refer to a phd as Dr

I think it is common to refer to people in academia and research as Dr even if you are not a student (looking for a passing grade). (I am not getting the asking for money reference)

I think she is a dean at stanford. So I would think the title is more fitting now than when she was secretary of state

#24 crankycat

crankycat

Comptroller of Zombies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

I am just wondering when did you start asking your wife's permission to be a jerk?

#25 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

I am just wondering when did you start asking your wife's permission to be a jerk?

lol, I didn't ask...I was chuckling out loud as I was typing the post & she asked what I was laughing about. :)

#26 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8678 posts
  • LocationIn your head, 24x7

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

So a family friend, who is really nice but liberal as all get out posted this today in regard to Hillary officially getting the spot:

I wanted to put something in to the effect of "yeah, I told my daughter this when Sarah Palin Victoria Woodhull got the Presidential appointment for her party...I'm sure you felt the same!"

But evidently that makes me a dick. Well, that and other things, but for the purpose of this post...

Way back in 1872.

#27 Jabberdave

Jabberdave

Advanced Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2843 posts
  • LocationGainesville

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

I think it is common to refer to people in academia and research as Dr even if you are not a student (looking for a passing grade). (I am not getting the asking for money reference)

I think she is a dean at stanford. So I would think the title is more fitting now than when she was secretary of state

Unless I have a personal relationship with a professor and we're not in a formal setting, I call them by their name.  Anyone else or in any other environment,  Dr. <name>.  That's from VP's to the Provost, Deans, Chairs, you name it. 

Now, when I'm working with my staff in our office, we usually refer to faculty by their last name only. 

I did have a postdoc working for one of our big time PI's that I called by her first name in an email.  She lost her mind and went off about how she was to be referred to as Dr.  That stuff makes me giggle.  Pipe down with that crap.  I'm old enough to be your dad.

#28 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37403 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

I work with actual medical doctors every day.  I won't call a PHD "doctor", unless they are a douche about it.  

#29 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73016 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:46 AM

I once had a similar problem with my wife, jerking, and Facebook

Just the tip, don't friend high school exes

ftfy

#30 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

I just find it to be a term of respect, and so I'll use "doctor" in the same places where I would use "mister."  It just shows recognition of a higher degree of education and training for a specialized discipline.

#31 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48058 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

I just find it to be a term of respect, and so I'll use "doctor" in the same places where I would use "mister." It just shows recognition of a higher degree of education and training for a specialized discipline.

I do too. I stand by my "tip" but will reduce the source from pro to amature in light of all youzes posts

#32 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66812 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

permission implied :D

#33 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

I do too. I stand by my "tip" but will reduce the source from pro to amature in light of all youzes posts

I agree with the pro tip.  When we were begging DARPA for money, the "Doctor" title of the program manager was always preserved.  In informal discussions among our team, they would be referred to as "Doctor Asshole", "Doctor ####nut", "Doctor I-Hope-He-Dies-In-A-Blender-Accident", etc.

#34 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Oddly enough my father in law is a doctor.  I've never once heard him introduce himself as "Dr. so & so."   it's always funny when we are out and someone starts chatting him about and something takes a turn to talk about medicine.  He just gives a silly grin and agrees until they say something wrong, then he will correct them.  Always funny when people ask "how did you know that?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users