5 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

I'm kicking around ideas for a recipe I plan to brew this weekend.I'm looking for a light, flavorful lager with lots of hops. Somewhere between a Munich Helles and a CAP. Plus I've got some corn syrup I want to use up.OG 1.049roughly...73% Pils 15% Corn Syrup5% Munich5% Wheat2.5% MelanoidinI want to keep it around 25-30 IBUs, but lots of Sterling, so I'm thinking of hop bursting1oz @ 152oz @ 102oz @ 52oz @ 0WLP833

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Huh, I've never seen that before. So technically, you wouldn't have a bittering hop? And is your boil only 15 minutes long?

#3 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

No, do a regular boil but no hops until 15 minutes left.I suppose we should start a hop burst thread over here. Unless you're going for something with big bitterness, you can only get so many hops in before the balance goes to the bitter.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

I planned on doing a hop burst at one point and my next beer in line was similar to yours... a gold lager of sorts. But I wasn't sure that a hop burst-type hop schedule would work well in that style so I aborted it. I got to thinking about a schedule like that after trying Goose Island Harvest Ale which has such a great hop flavor & aroma... but it's a completely different animal style-wise. In fact, my Helles recipe (which is supposed to mirror Hofbrau Original) is hopped at 60 and that's all. Cheers & good luck on the beer, Mike. Looks nice.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

do you find that primary scrubs flavour more or less the same as an ale yeast/higher fermentation temp when you are doing a lager?Looks like a yummy summer thirst quencher with a hoppy punch, let us know how it turns out!Just curious, why the corn syrup as your adjunct choice?

#6 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

do you find that primary scrubs flavour more or less the same as an ale yeast/higher fermentation temp when you are doing a lager?Looks like a yummy summer thirst quencher with a hoppy punch, let us know how it turns out!Just curious, why the corn syrup as your adjunct choice?

I haven't done too many hoppy lagers. Most are in the German style. I don't think it really matters. I mean, a lager still is active, and usually doesn't take that much longer than an ale. It's still producing the same amount of CO2, just at a slower pace. Something else to consider though, the lagering process will probably zap some hoppyness. Also noble hops don't pack the same punch as the typical hoppy American hops. I'm kind of debating the hop addition. I don't want to go to crazy, but on the other hand I'd like to say I used a 1/2 lb of hops in a lager. :covreyes: Corn syrup is kind of cool adjunct. It has similar fermentability as wort, so it won't kill your body/mouthfeel. It will lighten the flavor and color of the beer. Also it supposedly will make for a cleaner fermentation due do less FAN as a percentage of malt. I think that qualifies most sugar adjuncts. Basically I have it sitting around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users