#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

My bottling bucket's spigot has partially separated...basically the place between the threading that is on the inside of the bucket and the spot on the outside of the bucket. I know easy solution just go get another spigot..however I get off work after the LHBS is closed and I want to get some bottling done tonight. I bottled last week with this problem and it seems like the gaskets don't hold it completely. I maybe lose a half a beer AT MOST but would like to correct the problem for tonights bottling session...any advice?

#2 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

Possable to make spacers out of something like margerine lids tighten it down and hope for the best

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

Use some RTV.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

Use some RTV.

Doesn't that take 24 hours to fully cure?Can you put a bunch of wraps of teflon tape over where the crack is?

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

Doesn't that take 24 hours to fully cure?Can you put a bunch of wraps of teflon tape over where the crack is?

I think you can speed it up with UV lights but maybe not...

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

I think you can speed it up with UV lights but maybe not...

Sometimes you can. I don't think that's the case with a typical RTV.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sometimes you can. I don't think that's the case with a typical RTV.

Yeah - I let the technicians at work handle that stuff for me :)

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I had the same thought about the curing...Teflon tape...perfect I have some of that handy too... I am guessing it is food safe

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

BREWS-BROS comes through again!

#10 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Do you have any of that silicone bakeware? Food safe & good to like 450* Just cut a gasket to the size you need.Beach

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Do you have any of that silicone bakeware? Food safe & good to like 450* Just cut a gasket to the size you need.Beach

another great idea, however I don't know how happy my girlfriend would be with me if I took a chunk out of her cookie sheet

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

My bottling bucket's spigot has partially separated...basically the place between the threading that is on the inside of the bucket and the spot on the outside of the bucket. I know easy solution just go get another spigot..however I get off work after the LHBS is closed and I want to get some bottling done tonight. I bottled last week with this problem and it seems like the gaskets don't hold it completely. I maybe lose a half a beer AT MOST but would like to correct the problem for tonights bottling session...any advice?

is there any way to squeeze the piece together so that it doesn't leak so much? I don't fully get where the crack is so excuse me if this suggestion isn't feasible.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

is there any way to squeeze the piece together so that it doesn't leak so much? I don't fully get where the crack is so excuse me if this suggestion isn't feasible.

Posted ImageOk so basically where the thread meets the outer wall it has separated lets say about 1/3 of the way around...does that make sense?

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Posted ImageOk so basically where the thread meets the outer wall it has separated lets say about 1/3 of the way around...does that make sense?

How about if you wrapped something around the entire bucket to squeeze it in on itself? If it wasn't leaking really fast before this might slow it down a little bit more...

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

If you're really confident you have the cracked area sanitized - you could go with teflon tape, a bunch. And live with the drip. I'd probably wait until I had a couple replacements. Wouldn't be fun to have the thing totally fail with your whole batch going on the floor.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

If you're really confident you have the cracked area sanitized - you could go with teflon tape, a bunch. And live with the drip. I'd probably wait until I had a couple replacements. Wouldn't be fun to have the thing totally fail with your whole batch going on the floor.

yea...I cam unscrew the thing so it separates from the bucket so sanitation is not an issue...it seems strong enough where if i dont put unnecessary force on it should hold up...I think I am going to go with the teflon tape tonight....i really need to bottle this up tonight b/c of time constraints...next time i make it over to the LHBS i will pick up a few new spigots.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

The teflon worked perfectly...thanks for all the great ideas!

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

I had the same thing happen to my bucket spigot. I just tossed it. The crack in mine was way too big to seal up. The entire threaded section was pretty much ripped off.

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I had the same thing happen to my bucket spigot. I just tossed it. The crack in mine was way too big to seal up. The entire threaded section was pretty much ripped off.

yea mine wasn't totally ripped off...i will def go and buy a new one as soon as I make it to the LHBS. I just needed to bottle my pumpkin so that I could brew a hefe today...Gotta start stocking up for winter since this is the first year I have brewed outside...

#20 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

How did it get cracked in the first place?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users