• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28069 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

1lb great northern white or even cattle beans

1/4-1/3lb salt pork or bacon, chopped up

1 medium vadalia onion chopped finely

1/2-3/4 tsp mustard powder.  Sometimes I put in a heaping tsp, just depends.

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 cup molasses

1/2tsp black pepper

4 cups water that goes into the pot

Turn oven on at 425F

I use the scald bean method.  Get a tea kettle with 3-4 cups water boiling.  Put beans into a bowl.  Pour the boiling water over them.  Let them soak for about 5min.  Drop in 1/2-1 tsp of baking soda.  This will likely foam over, so do this in the sink.  Pour beans into a cullender and rinse. 

Put everything in the traditional bean pot (or you could use a dutch oven I suppose).  Cook at 425F for 1hr.  Roll temp back to 200 and cook all night or at least 7hrs more. 

MB

#2 DownEastBrewer

DownEastBrewer

Comptroller of Being an Ass Hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationUpper Righthand Corner, USA

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

So hungry for bean suppah!

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

seems pretty close to what my mom makes.  we used to have it with burgers and dogs.  not exactly healthy :P

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

I made these today. Flavor was great but the beans were still hard. Not sure what happened. I don't think the scald bean method worked so well.

#5 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42956 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:43 PM

So hungry for bean suppah!

Let’s go! Town hall on Friday night?

I made these today. Flavor was great but the beans were still hard. Not sure what happened. I don't think the scald bean method worked so well.

Beans need to soak overnight, don’t care what u r making. It just has to happen, in less you’re an Insta Pot homo... like... nevermind

#6 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28069 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:51 PM

Honestly, I am going to say old/stale beans.  I'd make this recipe all the time in Maine and about every 10th or so time the beans would stay hard.  A lot of people made beans in ME, so the turnover was higher on the shelf.

I've made it out here in CO...and I'd say only 1 in 3 times are they soft.  

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

Honestly, I am going to say old/stale beans. I'd make this recipe all the time in Maine and about every 10th or so time the beans would stay hard. A lot of people made beans in ME, so the turnover was higher on the shelf.

Well I guess that could be. So you have never soaked them?

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:29 PM

So I tried to save these and put them in the Instant Pot (moon look away). No help. Tried 30min and then another 45min. Really no difference from when they came out of the oven for 10 hours.

#9 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42956 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:29 PM

Lol

Edited by GeoDick, 10 February 2020 - 06:29 PM.

#10 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42956 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:57 PM

So a jag, a mess, or a slew?

#11 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Non of the above, that are in the trash now.

#12 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28069 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:45 PM

Well I guess that could be. So you have never soaked them?

I have for other recipes, but never this one.

The instapot trial makes me think they were stale.

#13 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

Beans stay hard if cooked with acid. They will basically never soften. It's totally fine to cook them without soaking if you know what you're doing. And as others have noted, a pressure cooker really shines for this sort of thing. But you have to cook them to get soft before adding tomato, vinegar, etc.

Edited by Trub L, 15 February 2020 - 09:18 AM.

#14 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

I found a great company to get beans from, Rancho Gordo.  There are some varieties that are spectacular.  I like the Santa Maria Pinquito and the Rio Zape the best so far.  Always fresh and cook up beautifully.  I just cooked up a pot of Santa Marias.  The beans hold their shape and are creamy smooth inside.  I soaked for about 4 hours then into the Instapot.

#15 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111433 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

Honestly, I am going to say old/stale beans. I'd make this recipe all the time in Maine and about every 10th or so time the beans would stay hard. A lot of people made beans in ME, so the turnover was higher on the shelf.

High altitude causes problems with beans. Boiling temperature here isn't high enough, so you are better off pre-soaking them or using pressure.

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, I always pre-soak. Holding acids until the end is good advice, too. Cooking times for beans can be 50% or more longer here. I don't own an instant pot, but we used to own a pressure cooker and would sometimes use that for beans. The results weren't better than soaking and cooking for the appropriate time, but they were non-inferior. I'd try that if all else fails.

Edited by porter, 15 February 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#17 Felix Furbush

Felix Furbush

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42956 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

Beans stay hard if cooked with acid. They will basically never soften. It's totally fine to cook them without soaking if you know what you're doing. And as others have noted, a pressure cooker really shines for this sort of thing. But you have to cook them to get soft before adding tomato, vinegar, etc.

Knowledge

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:23 PM

I found a great company to get beans from, Rancho Gordo. There are some varieties that are spectacular. I like the Santa Maria Pinquito and the Rio Zape the best so far. Always fresh and cook up beautifully. I just cooked up a pot of Santa Marias. The beans hold their shape and are creamy smooth inside. I soaked for about 4 hours then into the Instapot.

It's Instant Pot. Thanks for the bean supply suggestion I may try them out. I'm not wasting another day long cook on these old ass southern beans.

#19 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28069 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

High altitude causes problems with beans. Boiling temperature here isn't high enough, so you are better off pre-soaking them or using pressure.

I’m still saying stale beans. He’s at sea level and tried to save them in a pressure cook. And the recipe isn’t a boiling method, it’s more like an overnight soak right at that threshold.. I’ve made them here perfect and some stay rock hard. Same method. And like he says, when you get a batch that doesn’t turn soft....I’ve tried to save it by cooking longer and hotter and it doesn’t do a damn thing. Just makes the brown sugar burn and ruins the batch.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

It's Instant Pot. Thanks for the bean supply suggestion I may try them out. I'm not wasting another day long cook on these old ass southern beans.

Instapot has taken over somewhat as the generic term for a digital pressure cooker whether it's made by Instant Pot or another brand.  I personally have a Crock Pot express.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users