#1 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

I'm going to brew this in preparation for reusing the cake for a big batch of Denny's Milo Alt.Any input before I get this one raging? I've never brewed this style, with this base grain, hops or yeast so it's all new territory here.Recipe: EAD Goose Stepper AltBrewer: EricAsst Brewer: Style: Dusseldorf AltbierTYPE: All GrainTaste: (35.0) Recipe Specifications--------------------------Batch Size: 10.00 gal Boil Size: 12.83 galEstimated OG: 1.050 SGEstimated Color: 14.5 SRMEstimated IBU: 37.2 IBUBrewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %Boil Time: 60 MinutesIngredients:------------Amount Item Type % or IBU 15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 % 4 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 20.51 % 8.0 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 % 2.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (75 min) (First Wort HopHops 19.0 IBU 2.00 oz Spalter [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU 2.00 oz Spalt Selects (Flatfender June-08 [1.30 %]Hops 1.7 IBU 1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 2.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc 2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc 1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutTotal Grain Weight: 19.50 lb----------------------------Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutStep Time Name Description Step Temp 80 min Mash In Add 29.25 qt of water at 167.1 F 154.0 F Thanks!

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Looks alright to me, a tad low on the IBU's maybe, and the 89 minute mash seems like overkill.It does look good though.

#3 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Looks alright to me, a tad low on the IBU's maybe, and the 89 minute mash seems like overkill.It does look good though.

Huh... 80 minute mash. Not sure how that one got in there. Would a 20 minute Spalter addition be out out of place or just add a touch more to the 60 min addition?

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Huh... 80 minute mash. Not sure how that one got in there. Would a 20 minute Spalter addition be out out of place or just add a touch more to the 60 min addition?

You'll stay more true to style by keeping the hops in the front end of the boil, but it's your beer, brew it the way you want it.

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

You'll stay more true to style by keeping the hops in the front end of the boil, but it's your beer, brew it the way you want it.

I think for once I'd like to brew to style actually :cussing: I can't help tinkering with all my recipes, all the way until I'm supposed to dough in.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Your FWH will cover that just fine AKA, a perceived 20 min addition. Me,?? I would hit it with 4 - 5 oz of Melanoidin. Just seems to help with the style IMHO.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Your FWH will cover that just fine AKA, a perceived 20 min addition. Me,?? I would hit it with 4 - 5 oz of Melanoidin. Just seems to help with the style IMHO.

listen to dj man, he's the Altmeister :smilielol: :cussing:

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

That would help with the color, flavor, both?

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

listen to dj man, he's the Altmeister :smilielol: :cussing:

Nah, not even. Still a student. We all are. That's why I'm happy so many made it over here to keep learning.But, I don't suck either :devil:

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

That would help with the color, flavor, both?

Melanoidin reactions are all over the chart if you have any chemistry background. You don't need it though. Toast is a perfect example. Protiens, starch, sugar and heat can go all over the place. Anyway, melanoidin malt is a simple shortcut that the maltsters gave us. It can supposededly almost mimic decotion mashing. Others will tell my I'm full of it. Anyway, for the style, I would suggest it's a malt you should throw in the mix. Will darken stuff a bit too, of course.

#11 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

I'm still not convinced of FWH in Alts. But if your gonna do it, id remove the 20min addition. Most of your total IBU's should come from the 60min addition (that is if your hitting a hard FHW). Dusseldorf's don't have a ton of hop flavor. So FWH and a 20min should give lots of that. I too agree an 80min mash is fairly long. A little Melanoidin goes a very long way, so be careful using it in quantity. Other than that, mash low, 146-148* should do it. Oh, pitch a decent sized starter. Fermentation temps at 60* could stall you out. Im actually brewing 20g batch of Alt myself in the morning. A very nice style.

Edited by Blktre, 07 April 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#12 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

Other than the beer's name stirring up images of The Third Reich, it looks like you'll make a pretty tasty brew.If you have more Munich malt, you might consider going 50/50 on the Munich and Pils. And as others have said, I wouldn't do both FWH and a 20 minute addition... one or the other would be sufficient. You're within style guidelines on the bitterness, but I generally shoot for 40+ IBUs in a Dusseldorf Alt.

#13 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Your recipie looks fine, but I would bitter it up quite a bit more, and I would add any hops before 30 minutes left in the boil, JMO. I can't speak to the FWH use, but I'm getting ready to transfer my first attempt using it in an Alt next week. I'm brewing another Alt this weekend using a 75/25, Pils/Munich split, adding enough Carafa II to adjust for color. I'm also going to peform a double decoction to see if I can tell if it makes a difference. I know quite a few have commented that decoctions are not needed or provide little benefit, but I just want to see for myself. I can say that the one I'm drinkning now is pretty damn tasty and it was decocted.

#14 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the comments, I'll take them into consideration.

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

DJ is right on with the Melanoidin suggestion. I would add even more, but that's me.I would also move an ounce of the Spalt from the final addition to the bittering addition.Enjoy!

#16 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Anyway, melanoidin malt is a simple shortcut that the maltsters gave us. It can supposededly almost mimic decotion mashing. Others will tell my I'm full of it.

I don't think your full of it. Ive tried both and decided to heck w/decoctions. I'm pretty sure Denny did a blind tasting once using decocted and non decocted beers. I'm sure if pointed this way he would comment. But i do believe the end result was a toss up and nobody could really tell the difference.

#17 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

The recipes I've brewed with just Pils/Munich/Carafa II, using a non-decoction mash, have been very normal. Now using melanoidin, a few other select grains, and a non-decoction mash, I can get a flavor that mimics those I brew using the basic three grains and a decoction mash. I just want to try a double decoction using the basic grain bill to see how it comes out. We just had a brewery open in town that offers a decoction brewed Alt. If I didn't love the process of brewing and just wanted to drink a really good Alt, I could now buy it; but that wouldn't be fun. :covreyes:

#18 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

The recipes I've brewed with just Pils/Munich/Carafa II, using a non-decoction mash, have been very normal. Now using melanoidin, a few other select grains, and a non-decoction mash, I can get a flavor that mimics those I brew using the basic three grains and a decoction mash. I just want to try a double decoction using the basic grain bill to see how it comes out. We just had a brewery open in town that offers a deconcoction brewed Alt. If I didn't love the process of brewing and just wanted to drink a really good Alt, I could now buy it; but that wouldn't be fun. :covreyes:

I've personally have had Kunsan90's alts, both with and without deconcoction in a blind comparison. I also spent >6months in Duesseldorf last year. IMHO, the deconcoction he does is the real deal.There was that one non deconcocted one though Phil..... that ROCKED. If only I had 3 lagering fridges....

#19 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

I've personally have had Kunsan90's alts, both with and without deconcoction in a blind comparison. I also spent >6months in Duesseldorf last year. IMHO, the deconcoction he does is the real deal.There was that one non deconcocted one though Phil..... that ROCKED. If only I had 3 lagering fridges....

Was that the Sticke I used the wrong hop schedule on? That was a malty Alt!

#20 MetlGuy

MetlGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationYork, SC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

Was that the Sticke I used the wrong hop schedule on? That was a malty Alt!

Yes, but spot on for Northen German Alt. That was after tasting how many I brought back? Not quite as good as Brewbasser's Belge partyBelge Beer Pron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users