27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

I made this beer today and it was the first run of the 2352 Munich Lager 2 yeast. I mentioned elsewhere that our German Brewing Group on FB has a lot of hardcore German beer lovers, brewers and beer geeks. One member (who I believe is German) mentioned that an Oktoberfest should be nothing more than 50% pilsner malt and 50% Munich 2. Nothing else. He also reminded me of something that many brewers have mentioned to me before... When it comes to German recipes, keep it simple. True. German processes may be complex but their recipes are simple. I used to make an Oktoberfest where the base malt was 50% pils and 50% Munich 2 but I would almost always add 4 ounces of CaraMunich or 2 ounces of Aromatic or Melanoidin, etc.

Simple Oktoberfest

5 lbs Avangard Munich II (9-12°L)
4.75 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
.45 ounces German Magnum 13.1% (5.9 AAU, 25 IBU) for 60 minutes
Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager 2

OG: 1.054, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 7-8, ABV: 5.2%

I mashed at 150.2° single infusion for 60 minutes. Mash pH was 5.22, sparge pH was 5.31 and kettle pH was 5.30. I built the water to have a soft character to it. Just .4 grams of CaSO4 added and 2.5g of CaCl. I felt like I got a lot of color out of that 5 lbs of Munich malt but when I racked the clear wort from kettle to primary, I could see that the color should come out pretty nicely. Cheers.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

Looks good. I also like simple German lager recipes. Did you get a pic of the wort? I'm interested what color that came out.I may have to add an Oktoberfest to the list. I just doughed in a Helles.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Yeah this recipe has been calling me since Ken first brought it up a week or so ago. But then again so has his dunkel recipe. Ill have plenty of 2352 slurry after this Helles of mine is done. I want to make a pils of some sort too. So many beers so little time.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:40 PM

I usually try to knock out a few lagers early in the year when the water temp is still low. Getting a late start this year. I'm going to try to get in another Helles, a Dort, maybe this Oktoberfest. It's nice to get a bunch of beers from one smack pack. A Pils would be good too...I think I have some Saaz to use up

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

The primary activity is good this morning and there is a very nice aroma from this yeast. I can't put my finger on it but there is a very nice character (similar to 2308 but not exactly). I think this yeast is going to produce some very nice beers. On the color, it's a little tricky to tell but I feel like I got more color than I was expecting. I recirculate in a standard glass 2-cup measuring cup which is thicker than a beer glass I would use so it's tricky to tell. I saw the wort in the kettle which wasn't much help. The best view I got of it was when it was being racked from kettle to primary and it was super clear. But again, the tubing is thinner than a beerglass. My recipe prediction was for SRM 7 and I know it's more than that... possibly 10. I was thinking that maybe 75% Pils and 25% Munich 2 would be better if you wanted a pale amber-colored wort. I was thinking of taking a pic because it was REALLY nice-looking during the rack. I think this would be great in a Dunkel, Jamil's Vienna, a Festbier and probably a bock. Next with this yeast will be a sort of pale bock or "helles bock" and then probably the dunkel I made with 2308. Cheers Beerheads.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

I just went downstairs and took another hit off the airlock and maybe I've put my finger on it... the 2352 seems like a combination of 2308 and 2124. I don't know that I'm qualified to say that but 2124 and 2308 are the #1 and #2 lager yeasts I use here. There is a character to the 2352 that seems very 2124-like to me and that can only mean good things for the resulting beer. Anyone else think this could be correct?

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

I just went downstairs and took another hit off the airlock and maybe I've put my finger on it... the 2352 seems like a combination of 2308 and 2124. I don't know that I'm qualified to say that but 2124 and 2308 are the #1 and #2 lager yeasts I use here. There is a character to the 2352 that seems very 2124-like to me and that can only mean good things for the resulting beer. Anyone else think this could be correct?

Not enough experience to say but the smell in my fridge where my Helles is fermenting is very pleasant right now. 

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

Not enough experience to say but the smell in my fridge where my Helles is fermenting is very pleasant right now.

For sure. When I open my fridge and there is a 2124 beer in there, it's as good of a beer aroma as you can get, IMO. I'm not getting FULL-ON 2124 here, but I'm getting SOME of that. Very interesting. I wish Wyeast would bring some of these Private strains into their standard rotation (2352 and 2782 Staro would be GREAT) but I realize this is probably much harder to do with so many strains out there. I'm really looking forward to this Oktoberfest and now I wonder if I should bring it through the standard processes and then once it's cold, kegged and carbed... leave it until September.  :scratch:

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

I have read that Wyeast brings out these yeasts according to how much they are being requested. So email them with what you want to use.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

I have read that Wyeast brings out these yeasts according to how much they are being requested. So email them with what you want to use.

I have heard that too. Also, as I continue to take whiffs of the airlock, here's the best description I can find as to why I like 2124 and slightly what I'm picking up from this 2352... it's crackery. Like a Saltine cracker. That character comes through (to me) in 2124 and I'm getting that here too but slightly less. I just cleaned out a primary that had 2124 slurry in it and my hands now smell like yeast with that crackery character.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

The 2352 is starting to throw a little sulphur this morning. I feel like this is a distinct difference between 2308 and 2352 as 2308 doesn't really give off a lot of sulphur, IME. It's usually the "pilsnery" strains like 2124, 830, 2278, 2000, 2001, 800, etc. that do this. The aroma is very nice aside from being sulphury and I'm getting excited about this beer and this yeast. Cheers.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

The 2352 is starting to throw a little sulphur this morning. I feel like this is a distinct difference between 2308 and 2352 as 2308 doesn't really give off a lot of sulphur, IME. It's usually the "pilsnery" strains like 2124, 830, 2278, 2000, 2001, 800, etc. that do this. The aroma is very nice aside from being sulphury and I'm getting excited about this beer and this yeast. Cheers.

I got just a hint of sulphur on day 3 or so but it quickly stopped and went away. 2308 has thrown sulphur for me all 4 times I have used it right at the tail end of active fermentation. Never had any trouble getting it to go away on its own though.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

I got just a hint of sulphur on day 3 or so but it quickly stopped and went away. 2308 has thrown sulphur for me all 4 times I have used it right at the tail end of active fermentation. Never had any trouble getting it to go away on its own though.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about it as it seems like a common thing. I take it as a sign that things are slowing down. It's usually brought to my attention when my wife says, "What smells in the basement?!". <_<

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

For reference...

1io7sy.jpg

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

For reference...

Looks like something I could reference often.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

I really like this simple approach. My other Oktoberfest recipe was similar but I would add small amounts of things after the pilsner and munich and it's just not necessary. Choose your hop(s) and yeast and giddy up. Cheers.

#17 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:13 AM

Sounds and looks delicious!

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

Can't help but peruse this beer several times. So refreshing, so German, simple and clean. Because I'm still Lager'ly challenged, do you think WY1007 would work with this? I can't see why not but thought I'd ax. I'd guess gel would be needed to drop to clarity.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

Can't help but peruse this beer several times. So refreshing, so German, simple and clean. Because I'm still Lager'ly challenged, do you think WY1007 would work with this? I can't see why not but thought I'd ax. I'd guess gel would be needed to drop to clarity.

I would say YES but I might also be inclined to say NO only because yeast varieties produce such different characters and you just won't have that great lager character. You will make a great beer, no question and I have an altbier with 1007 in primary now. But to get the character that I'm typically looking for in a lager... I might be disappointed that it wasn't there. It's like the "pilsner" we were talking about in the main forum that was made with "top fermenting yeast". That may be a very nice beer but I think it would be missing something that I would expect [and want] to be there.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

What about 34/70 warm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users