#1661 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 July 2022 - 12:55 PM

Fucking sick dude! The combo of KoT into KTR is really great. Sounds best going into an amp that's already cooking pretty good. Crazy versatile I hope you dig it. I've picked up a few things too:

Fancy delay shootout. The new RE-202 sounds incredible. The other two do as well so it's a tough call but I'll likely sell two highlander style

IMG-9972.jpg

Added to the Spiral FX collection as well. Bought the Demhe new and that has taken over as my main fuzz for a lot of my playing lately. The Allora and Black II were used and I scored on both. They are sort of flip sides of the same coin but they have drastically different voices. High gain rules when it sounds like this.

IMG-9971.jpg

#1662 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48541 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:11 PM

My buddy has an original Space Echo. It’s bonkers.

#1663 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:20 PM

I need to pull out all my old pedals and play around with them.  I think the only one I've used in the last year is my Vox wah.

#1664 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25542 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 05 July 2022 - 08:26 PM

Danelectro back talk may be the most fun I’ve had with a stompbox

#1665 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:35 AM

New fuzz landed yesterday and it's one I've been trying to track down for a little bit. Brand new in box, must have been sitting on a shelf since 2014:

IMG-9982.jpg

It's based on the Jax Fuzz (companion) but it has some added control. This thing is bassy af but it's got a very unique and controlled voice. When it's on you know it, you can't dial it back even a little. Nice stuff made in Akron, OH. My first EQD pedal too. 

#1666 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 07 July 2022 - 06:59 AM

You ever gotten into building your own pedals, Sioux?  I dived into it a few years back (with really no prior electronics experience), but it was fun.  I made a Big Muff kind of thing and it was fun to play with and sounded alright, but I definitely need a lot more practice and experience.  I really would like to study up on basic electronics, instead of just trying to figure it out as I go, and get back into it as a hobby.

#1667 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:17 AM

You ever gotten into building your own pedals, Sioux?  I dived into it a few years back (with really no prior electronics experience), but it was fun.  I made a Big Muff kind of thing and it was fun to play with and sounded alright, but I definitely need a lot more practice and experience.  I really would like to study up on basic electronics, instead of just trying to figure it out as I go, and get back into it as a hobby.

Modded, yes several. Build, no. I've been working on putting a tube amp together for over a year and that project has moved so slow that I haven't bothered documenting anything yet. I need a week off to just get it done. I'd love to get into building fuzz pedals but there are so many builders out there right now doing incredible work it's literally the golden age for this shit, it will wane eventually and we'll look back and go, "holy shit that was wild!"

#1668 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:53 AM

I haven't been pedal shopping since maybe my early twenties.  I see all the stuff you post and am curious how they all sound and how they are all different.  I'd look for some videos, but I think I'd have to play with one myself on my own setup to really get a feel for how it sounds.  Anywho, why do you think it's a golden age right now with builders?  Is it availability of components and new technology, people having more time from the lockdowns, or maybe higher demand from the pandemic?

#1669 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48541 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:06 AM

Not speaking for Sioux, but from my perspective it has more to do with an explosion of boutique builders doing really unique things. I think historically it was bigger manufacturers cranking out their models. People learned from these, modded them, and then started making their own improved versions.

#1670 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13769 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:43 AM

I love my pedals, and spent a lot of time trying different ones to find the one(s) that I like

But honestly, I ask myself all the time, can the audience tell, or do they care?

#1671 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48541 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 July 2022 - 10:53 AM

Most people have no idea what you’re doing anyway. You gotta do what sounds best to you.

Personally I geek out trying to figure out what people are doing up there, but I am a hobbyist guitar player.

Some people take it to a research level

https://treysguitarrig.com/

#1672 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13769 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:12 PM

Most people have no idea what you’re doing anyway. You gotta do what sounds best to you.

Personally I geek out trying to figure out what people are doing up there, but I am a hobbyist guitar player.

Some people take it to a research level

https://treysguitarrig.com/

I’m not meaning to sound insulting to anyone. I totally understand the idea of chasing tone, because I’ve done it

But my point was that once you get onstage, mic the amp, put it in the mix with the band, etc. How much nuance can the audience tell? And if you are a bar band, does it even matter?

#1673 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40886 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:57 PM

I’m not meaning to sound insulting to anyone. I totally understand the idea of chasing tone, because I’ve done it

But my point was that once you get onstage, mic the amp, put it in the mix with the band, etc. How much nuance can the audience tell? And if you are a bar band, does it even matter?

I think the only people your tone truly matters to is yourself and a couple actual players in the audience that really appreciate that sort of thing. Whenever someone compliments my "tone" I always just say "thanks, it's all digital"...

#1674 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48541 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 July 2022 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes people sound like shit, it’s good to sculpt for yourself what you think it should sound like, since it’s you.

That being said, I geek out on stuff like Leslie speakers. A simulator is much easier than lugging those big ass speakers. There us to be some sort of pragmatism involved, especially these days with all the options available.

But I do absolutely believe in trying to find the sound you want to get. Just like a painter finding the right shade of purple

#1675 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 05:04 PM

Long post: 

I spend most of my time focused on pedals that interact with my amps, that is to say, pedals that accentuate the natural dynamics of what the tubes are doing. So for me that means drive pedals, fuzz and delay. If I weren't using tube amps, I would probably invest in something like an hx stomp or similar modeler and run my pedals into that. If I went that route, I'd use mostly digital stuff and I wouldn't play a strat. But I'm stuck in the past, man, and I do things the old fashioned way. I recognize that no one will care about how I sound more than I do and that these clicky devices are baubles, toys, dumb shit big kids play with. So be it. 

In terms of drive pedals, they all sort of fall into just a few categories: hard clipping, soft clipping, transistor, etc. I like having one or two good examples from each category. Within the soft clipping category there are different flavors that each do a different "thing". For example, a midrange focused tubescreamer compared to a transparent drive like a timmy or bluesbreaker. On top of that, you have the collectables, that's mostly what you see me post. Not necessarily because they cost a lot, some don't cost much at all but they have some sort of personal significance because I'm a nerd. 

Fuzzes can be a category of their own because they were the first pedals made for guitar and the most coveted and lusted after in some cases. They are incredibly simple circuits and can be broken down into main categories based on the number of transistors or lack thereof. Two transistors will typically mean it's a fuzzface circuit, three means its a tonebender, four means its a muff variant etc. Then there is octave fuzz like your vox super fuzzes, exotic stuff like the companion family and buzzarounds, modern stuff like the spiral stuff I posted, and on and on. That's a crazy oversimplification but it's a rough idea of the different sounds. Jimi? That's a fuzzface into a marshall. Zepplin? That's a tonebender mkIII. Gilmour? Muff into a compressor. And on and on. There are some builders that do their own take on iconic circuits like my analogman stuff. Those circuits have different flavors too depending on the transistors used. If you find an AM Sunface with an NKT white dot at a garage sale buy it!. This is where my interest lies mostly. 

Why is it the golden age? A lot of reasons. The biggest ones being the sheer number of boutique builders doing cool shit, Millennials pumping tons of money into the market because we now have spending power to buy the things we always wanted as kids and then some, and youtube. The market is saturated and hasn't been truly affected my the supply chain issues other industries have, yet. But it will and many if not most builders will fold. That's just the way she fuckin goes. 

#1676 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25542 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 07 July 2022 - 07:29 PM

I have around 10 pedals on my board. I don’t play out anymore, it’s all for me. Makes playing with 4-8 track bad recordings more interesting/fun. Pretty much just fuzz, muff, drive, time/delay/reverb of various kinds

Edited by EWW, 07 July 2022 - 07:30 PM.

#1677 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9060 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:29 PM

Pine body Telecaster I'm working on:

IMG-3769.jpg

#1678 BlackBeerd

BlackBeerd

Comptroller of Stain's Junk Posting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18217 posts
  • LocationA Drunken Stupor

Posted 26 July 2022 - 05:46 AM

IMG-3769.jpg

Nice. Looks like an interesting project.

We took a 140 year old beach beam from a barn in Door County, Wisconsin and are making a couple our 1841 models to match with a couple of snare drums from Outlaw Drums in Georgia.

.https://www.facebook...83638557205779/

Edited by BlackBeerd, 26 July 2022 - 05:46 AM.

#1679 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 06:23 AM

IMG-3769.jpg

Always wanted to try doing that someday, keep us posted!

#1680 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40886 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:40 AM

Window shopping amps last night and Marshall tube amps have nearly doubled in price. Orange is actually “affordable” in comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users