#61 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40803 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

That's a really good example.  Yes, if I'm doing my job and see a need to compute the sums of columns of the following numbers:

B

D

... would you just *assume* that the "B" and "D" were typos, or would you actually adapt your mind to the context of it likely being presented in hex?  This is actually pretty common in my world.  Maybe that's why I have a broader perspective on this.  YMMV.

I run into it all the time as well but we are talking about the general population and not engineers.  It's pretty obvious these people aren't thinking up an alternative order of operations.  they just don't know them to begin with.

#62 Emerson Biggins

Emerson Biggins

Comptroller of Hair

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • LocationThe other side of the river

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

I got 40 squares.

Exclude the two superimposed squares placed in the middle at top and bottom. Just imagine the 4x4 grid. That leaves:

16 1x1 squares
9 2x2 squares
4 3x3 squares
1 4x4 square

Each of the two superimposed squares is a square, composed of 4 squares, 5 total, times 2, for 10.

16+9+4+1+10 = 40

Edited by GuitarCozmo, 04 February 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#63 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109803 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

mathjoke-haha-meme-math-joke-squares.jpg

Wow.  You spend way too much time on Facebook.

Let me ask you - are these little puzzles what you really use to compare yourself with other people?  Hey, name 3 states that begin with A.  96% of Americans can't do it!  :D

I agree with your answer to the word problem but you forgot the parenthesis around the 3-3.

Reality doesn't give you parentheses.  

#64 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21126 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

I get at least 38

I see 40 whether that is right or wrong, the point is there in the end is a "right" answer to some memes w/o some other nebulous intent. :P

#65 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81082 posts

35 squares?

*ETA* 37. I forgot the 3x3 ones.

I got 37 but then I counted the big one on the outside which brought me to 38

#66 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33766 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

You're confusing 'convention' with 'assumption.'

#67 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21126 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

Wow.  You spend way too much time on Facebook.

Let me ask you - are these little puzzles what you really use to compare yourself with other people?  Hey, name 3 states that begin with A.  96% of Americans can't do it!   :D

Because I recall seeing that popping up in the past and could easily find it on google image?  Lol.

Yeah you got me... having a rough morning Lou?

#68 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8107 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

+1

Wait, that's not my answer

#69 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109803 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

You HAVE to be trolling here... seriously :sarcasm:

Not at all.  Admittedly, I thought pods was trolling in the OP.  I didn't realize there weren't more technical people here who worked with numbers beyond gradeschool context.  I mean, it's good to know the basics, but I kind of figured people moved beyond that when they were faced with real problems.  In this case, I guess it's *me* who made a bad assumption.  

Anyway, I've stated my piece pretty plainly, so I think it would be silly to keep rehashing it over and over.  If you think there's only one answer, great - you're *exactly* the target audience when this kind of meme is created.  :cheers:

#70 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81082 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:37 AM

Not at all. Admittedly, I thought pods was trolling in the OP. I didn't realize there weren't more technical people here who worked with numbers beyond gradeschool context. I mean, it's good to know the basics, but I kind of figured people moved beyond that when they were faced with real problems. In this case, I guess it's *me* who made a bad assumption.

Anyway, I've stated my piece pretty plainly, so I think it would be silly to keep rehashing it over and over. If you think there's only one answer, great - you're *exactly* the target audience when this kind of meme is created. :cheers:

It's like you haven't heard of the word "default" before. :P

#71 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109803 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:37 AM

I see 40 whether that is right or wrong, the point is there in the end is a "right" answer to some memes w/o some other nebulous intent. :P

Oh, is *that* what you were getting at?  Yes, a "square" is a specific geometric form.  In a given diagram, the number of them will be countable and unambiguous.  The only potential disagreement might be whether you can count the paper/screen it's printed on, but most of those aren't going to be square, so there's likely going to be one unanimous answer among people who can count properly.

#72 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11261 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

You're confusing 'convention' with 'assumption.'

You know what happens when you make an assumption, right?

You make an ass out of you and some guy named "umption".

#73 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24197 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

A calculator is a tool for doing basic arithmetic.  What your teachers were (correctly) telling you is that a calculator cannot know context.  And, in this case, neither can the FB reader.  That's the entire reason the meme works.  It's not being created to show pods how much more brilliant he is at 1st grade math than anyone else.  It's to leverage his myopic arrogance in assuming he knows how/why a question is being asked, even though it's quite obviously being asked with ambiguity for a reason.

Sure - but there is a difference between a complete lack of context, and a presumed context unless otherwise stated.  In this case there is a standard agreed-upon context when it comes to mathematical expressions and we are all taught it in grade school.  If, for some reason, we are expected to interpret the expression differently we would need some explanation as to why we should do it differently than the standard way.

If we change the expression to "a$a@b&c" you might be able to argue that we need the context fully explained since we have no basis for assumption of a standard

#74 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21126 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

It's pretty obvious these people aren't thinking up an alternative order of operations.  they just don't know them to begin with.

Like open your mind man and stop assuming. :P

#75 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109803 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

It's like you haven't heard of the word "default" before. :P

Yes.  In the software world, we use it quite often.  It tends to mean, "likely wrong, but we don't have data to get a better value."  ;)

#76 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81082 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yes. In the software world, we use it quite often. It tends to mean, "likely wrong, but we don't have data to get a better value." ;)

Funny, in my world it means "the way a function behaves when you don't pass it any parameters." :)

#77 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40803 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

Not at all.  Admittedly, I thought pods was trolling in the OP.  I didn't realize there weren't more technical people here who worked with numbers beyond gradeschool context.  I mean, it's good to know the basics, but I kind of figured people moved beyond that when they were faced with real problems.  In this case, I guess it's *me* who made a bad assumption.  

Anyway, I've stated my piece pretty plainly, so I think it would be silly to keep rehashing it over and over.  If you think there's only one answer, great - you're *exactly* the target audience when this kind of meme is created.   :cheers:

the problem is that anyone that knows of all of these alternative meanings the expression might have in a different context also knows what the standard context would be.  so if you get this "wrong" you have either knowingly picked the non-standard order of operations or you don't know the order of operations.  the former seems pretty unlikely.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 04 February 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#78 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37286 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

In my work, I don't deal with problems that are laid out like that. When things necessitate many operations to get the outcome, I put them in the logical order. I remember learning to always use parentheses when writing something like that, so it is less confusing

#79 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22987 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

I agree with your answer to the word problem but you forgot the parenthesis around the 3-3.

assuming you are expecting the equation to be written in the standard order of operations format. obviously, most people write equations in the standard order of operations format. but, there may be a valid reason for writing it in a different format.

#80 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24197 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

assuming you are expecting the equation to be written in the standard order of operations format. obviously, most people write equations in the standard order of operations format. but, there may be a valid reason for writing it in a different format.

Ignorance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users