#1 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

Huge congratulations are in order for our boy, Jimvy.The folks at the O'Fallon Brewery made up a batch of Jimvy's brew aka Alright Already Amber Ale, and it took very high honors at the big 'fest.O'Fallon has taken a Gold in the past with their Smoked Porter and a bronze with their Unfiltered Wheat.Jimvy...as most of us know has enough awards that if I were to type them out my hands would be too cramped to hold this glass of Schlafly Tripel...Huge props, buddy!

#2 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yup....we heard his name mentioned while on the floor....Congrats Jimmy!

#3 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

:)

#4 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Congratulations Jim, wish I could have made it to GABF this year for a sample.Mashman

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

:)

#6 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Congrats Jimmy on a job well done.

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Nice work! We do not need awards to know your recipes are solid- but they sure are nice!

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64190 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Congrats Jimvy! Regale us with the details!

#9 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3615 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif Very cool! :)

#10 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:28 AM

Thanks all. I really appreciate it. I'm still a little in shock over the whole thing. It was pretty cool to be selected to brew the Pro-Am beer....but to win a medal is just awesome. The guys in this competition are really the best of the best....you've got breweries like Stone and Russian River and well known, accomplished homebrewers like Mike McDole and Jeff Sparrow...it's amazing to compete on the same level, but to place...I can't even describe it. And really, I pretty much stopped competing a few years back....I just happen to have entered one beer in our local club's comp and got lucky throughout.Big props to O'Fallon Brewery and Brian Owens (Head Brewer) and Dave Johnson (Assistant Brewer). Scaling up a recipe from the homebrew level to a commercial system is really a combination of art and science. I tasted just about every Pro-Am entry and you quickly get the sense of how difficult it is to get it right. But between Dave's experience on multiple systems and Brian's overall know-how, and my constant urging to add more hops, we came up with a really nice beer....these guys get just as much credit (and I say that even though Dave made me clean out the mash tun!). Also big thanks to Tony and Fran, owners of O'Fallon Brewery, for allowing us to make this beer!Jim

#11 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

Congrats Jim, I was lucky enough to try your Amber at O'Fallon fresh, it's an awesome beer - tons of aroma.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

Nice job - congrats!

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Well done Jim. :) I was hoping to see you at the festival but missed you. Congrats nonetheless!

#14 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Well done Jim. :) I was hoping to see you at the festival but missed you. Congrats nonetheless!

Thanks....and same here. I was in such a rush when we left town, I forgot to check on the homebrew tasting. I was kinda surprised I didn't see anyone from the group while at GABF....I mean really, I was at the Pro Am table a lot! lol

#15 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

I saw this when I was reviewing the results yesterday. Big ups Jim! You must be flying high right now. Yeah, the competition is stiff. I was shooting the breeze with Sparrow at Rock Bottom drinking the brew that took ... silver? in the American-Belgo. "The Crow and the Sparrow" Pete Crowley and Jeff Sparrow brewed it, those guys are too clever. I actually impressed myself when I asked him a question about that beer and ended up picking out the secret hops in it (they ran out and had to sub, so it's not on the menu). We had just recently gone through the hops section and did some hops rubbing (not as dirty as it sounds) so maybe that helped me. Jim, I've always been impressed with your knowledge and help and to see your name in the same list that you just dropped, not surprising. Cheers mate!

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks....and same here. I was in such a rush when we left town, I forgot to check on the homebrew tasting. I was kinda surprised I didn't see anyone from the group while at GABF....I mean really, I was at the Pro Am table a lot! lol

I'm just glad you made it there. Ran into Troy at Hop in the City and he told me how the family is growing. Damn....... Glad you still find time to brew, and brew it well.Dan

#17 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Jim, that's awesome! :)

#18 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8266 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:39 AM

Congrats! Very impressive and well deserved.

#19 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

Thanks guys. For those of you who are local, or may be in the STL area this week, it will be on tap at Blue Sky Cafe in O'Fallon (my local hangout), iTap in Chesterfield, and The Stable. It will also be available at Augusta Bottoms this Saturday!

#20 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Very impressive! Congrats! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users