30 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

I had a down year... 37 batches brewed. I don't know if that sounds like a lot or not but I have been in the 45-55 range before. I just made my first batch of 2016 yesterday so I took my stack of 2015 recipe pages, bundled them up and put them on a stack of every other batch I have made since 2009....

22t69.jpg

Each batch has a recipe page and then a second page with the water adjustments on it and every batch has notes scribbled on it (the hop schedule and times, mash start time, mash temp, mash ph, sparge ph, kettle ph, how much gypsum and/or calcium chloride was added, how much acid was added, etc).

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

I need to check but I am fairly certain I'm under 40 for last year.  That's 10 at a pop though.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

20ish gallons.  Maybe 25.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

16 batches, a mix of 5 and 10 gallon batches for a total of 130 gallons.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

just 4 batches of 5 gallons

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:36 AM

looks like 7 10 gal batches.

#7 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

I almost broke 100 gallons of beer brewed in 2015

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

I always say I will keep better records and never do.  I have all my brew sheet print outs but they are not dated so not sure what year they were .. I am going to guess about 75.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

I always say I will keep better records and never do.  I have all my brew sheet print outs but they are not dated so not sure what year they were .. I am going to guess about 75.

for this year I just put a number in front of the hopping schedule notes that I write for every batch.  otherwise I'd be in the same boat.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

for this year I just put a number in front of the hopping schedule notes that I write for every batch.  otherwise I'd be in the same boat.

I am going to try to be better this year.  So far I have 2 batches done in 2016 so I have a good pace going ..LOL

#11 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:57 AM

Four ten gallon batches plus one five gallon batch of cyser. I started in October, though, so not bad.

Edited by porter, 11 January 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

I wrote a piece of software years ago and it was really nice... lost all of it in a HDD crash so I went back to paper. I now have no idea how many batches I have made in my brewing career but when I had the software running every batch was numbered so I knew exactly how many I had made since 1999. Now, these sheets have all of the notes, the dates, drips of wort, etc. on them. Many of them have gotten wet and the pages are dried and wavy and some of the print is unreadable where water hit them. Someday when I'm a famous German Brewmaster at the Bierhalle von Eisenfaust these wrinkled pages will become wildly valuable and suitable for framing. :P

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:04 AM

so how much do you drink daily ken?

I average 1-2 pints per day and I give some beer away.  Are you sure the kids aren't hitting the taps? ;)

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:16 AM

My wife and I drink it but anytime friends, neighbors or family are over, the beer gets hit. There are days when I don't drink anything. There are days when I have 10 pints, it just depends. I have had A LOT of family and friends over and everyone I know is a beer-drinker. Also, my kids don't like beer, thank Jeebus. I have some neighbors one block over who like MLPA and also anything with Amarillo and Citra in it so when I get one on tap, I fill a growler for them. My dad was over in December and liked the dunkel I had so I tapped him a growler of that one. At one point I had 4 growlers out at the same time. I think one is still out. Sometimes I'm surprised by someone who comes over and ordinarily drinks water or soda... they start drinking beer and every time I look at their glass it's empty. I've also had my sisters, their husbands and nieces and nephews over to stay here for 4-5 days and 4 kegs might go down in that time.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:51 AM

When the taps are out for everyone to see (and use) all of sudden people become beer drinkers.  :)

Are you doing 5 gal or 10 gal batches, Ken?

My most prolific years were 2009 and 2010.  I had less than 30 10g batches combined for both years and I ended up dumping a ton of that beer because it hung around for so long.  The 25 gallons since July has kept me in beer, for the most part for the last 6 months.  I just had the last one run dry a few weeks ago (and one is still carbing).  I could probably go the whole year on 50-60 gals.  A couple kegs and a bunch of growlers did go to events and parties, too.  Not a lot of entertaining at home, though. 

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:57 AM

When the taps are out for everyone to see (and use) all of sudden people become beer drinkers.  :)

Are you doing 5 gal or 10 gal batches, Ken?

My most prolific years were 2009 and 2010.  I had less than 30 10g batches combined for both years and I ended up dumping a ton of that beer because it hung around for so long.  The 25 gallons since July has kept me in beer, for the most part for the last 6 months.  I just had the last one run dry a few weeks ago (and one is still carbing).  I could probably go the whole year on 50-60 gals.  A couple kegs and a bunch of growlers did go to events and parties, too.  Not a lot of entertaining at home, though.

Always 5 gallons. I've never made a 10. Yet. ;)

I agree that when taps are visible, everyone wants to drink beer and tap their own beer. I once had my 5 nieces and nephews staying here with one of their friends. All in their early-mid 20s. Then 2 of their cousins (who live near me) came over so there were eight 20-somethings here. The one girl is a news anchor for a Columbia, MO channel and kept taking selfies while she was tapping a beer. Some people do consider it more of a novelty because it's draft beer. The other part is that you lose track of what you have consumed when it's draft beer too. No bottles to count. We had a big party over Labor Day weekend where a lot of beer went down. I woke up early the next morning to get coffee ready and I knew that a family of 4 from out of town were staying with us but I didn't realize that another 5 people spent the night at our house... my wife must have convinced them to stay at some point after I went to sleep.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

You also tend to brew very accessible styles.  The average person will drink them.  If you had a sour, saison and RIS on tap it wouldn't move like blond ale.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

30-5 gallon batches. More than I would have thought. I have been giving away more beer than ever this year so maybe that is one of the driving factors.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

You also tend to brew very accessible styles.  The average person will drink them.  If you had a sour, saison and RIS on tap it wouldn't move like blond ale.

True. Rarely anything here over 5.5%. Very rarely. Between 4.5% and 5% is common. Ales, lagers, all color ranges, varying IBUs and styles but almost always at or near 5%. If I go out and start drinking something commercial, I'm usually taken by surprise. My wife and I went out to a new eatery here called County Line Tavern and I was drinking FW Union Jack. I admit that I was pretty elevated when I got home. Looked it up and saw that it was 7.5%. Great beer but it's not me to drink something that strong.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

12 batches. I'm throttled by my storage ability. This time of year I'm brewing for a party in February and a Rotary function in March that will eat up pretty much my entire supply. After the Rotary function I'll likely only have 2 kegs of kolsch, 1 IPA, and 1 other. I hope to brew a few more styles this year to get some new beers in the mix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users