#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

So I'm hoping to brew a clone of this beer in a month or so when some keg and freezer space opens up but it always pays to plan ahead.

here is a good source of info I found:  https://www.merchant...undert-bier.php

I'll be making a 10 gallon batch.  The yeast is obvious.  WL833.  no question there.  The other stuff - I'll have to guess.  I feel like the majority of this beer is pilsen but there is some complexity so I think some light munich will do the job.  Then there is the very slight residual sweetness/body.  I think carapils is the answer there.  The water should be of moderate ion content.  Not super soft but not high in sulfate or chloride.

The hops should be noble.  I have hallertau hops that I'll be using for both bittering and flavor/aroma.  If on the off chance I'm a tiny bit short I could fill in the gaps with a little mt. hood.  I'm hoping this isn't needed though.  I'm really not sure how much hops to use.  I'm so used to making beers that have a lot of hops I get a little befuddled when I need to hit something less than full on crazy hoppy but more than not hoppy at all.

When I ferment I'll be shooting for 50-51F.  I haven't decided if I'll try to do an accelerated maturation (slow temperature ramp after a few days) this time around.  I'm tempted to go back to my old ways that involve just keep the beer cold the whole time and relying on time to do it's thing but I haven't decided yet - feel free to talk me into something.

OG: 1.051

FG: 1.011

ABV: 5.2%

IBU: 24

MALT:

15 lbs Pilsen Malt (Best Malz)

2 lbs Munich Malt (Best Malz)

1 lbs Carapils/Carafoam

mash @ 154F, single infusion (I usually mash overnight)

I'll do my best to get my Calcium up around 50 ppm while keeping both sulfate and chloride under 50 or 60 ppm.  This means I'll be adding gypsum and calcium chloride of course.  I'll make up the remainder of my pH adjustment with lactic acid and shoot for a pH of 5.2-5.3.  I'll sparge with 2 gallons or less of untreated (but soft) water so my pre-boil pH should still be around 5.2-5.3.

HOPS:

? oz Hallertau @ 60 mins to get IBUs up to 24 total

1.0 oz Hallertau @ 5 mins

2.0 oz Hallertau @ flameout

FERMENT:

A large (I'll work out appropriate numbers later) starter of WL833 with the temp controller set to 50F (probe stuck to the side of the fermentor).  I'm not sure what the best practice is after this.  I've tried different things but never with anything to really compare it to so I'm not sure what's best.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 06 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

I have never had this beer but I just looked and the local place has it so I will plan to pick up a couple bottles this weekend.  From the description you linked I would really like this one and I have a vial of 833 in teh fridge so I may join you in brewing this one.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

I have never had this beer but I just looked and the local place has it so I will plan to pick up a couple bottles this weekend.  From the description you linked I would really like this one and I have a vial of 833 in teh fridge so I may join you in brewing this one.

awesome!  I've only had it one time when a friend brought me some from Germany.  the drinkability index is through the roof and I really can't imagine anyone who likes beer even a little bit not enjoying it.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

awesome!  I've only had it one time when a friend brought me some from Germany.  the drinkability index is through the roof and I really can't imagine anyone who likes beer even a little bit not enjoying it.

I just hope the samples at the store are somewhat fresh and not oxidized!  Hopefully I will be more helpful in this thread after trying it.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

I just hope the samples at the store are somewhat fresh and not oxidized!  Hopefully I will be more helpful in this thread after trying it.

agreed on both counts.  since you will have just had it you should be in a better position than I am.  I'm operating on 5 month old memories.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

agreed on both counts.  since you will have just had it you should be in a better position than I am.  I'm operating on 5 month old memories.

I just looked and the brewery is 25km from Munich .. :scratch:

I did some quick research on it and some say a touch of melanoidin is acceptable.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

I just looked and the brewery is 25km from Munich .. :scratch:

I did some quick research on it and some say a touch of melanoidin is acceptable.

research on what exactly?

it looks like a really nice brewery from what I've seen.  might make for a relaxing day trip.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

research on what exactly?

The beer and some input in brewing it and the style in general. 

Edited by drez77, 06 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

I've had it once and I agree it is a very very nice beer. Very drinkable. My guess would be more hops for 10 gallons. 

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

I've had it once and I agree it is a very very nice beer. Very drinkable. My guess would be more hops for 10 gallons. 

flavor or aroma?  perhaps a hop stand?  I didn't think it seemed dry hopped.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Really hard to say (and lets see why drez thinks after he drinks it) but maybe another ounce at 5 min?

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

I will be honest, when I looked at the hops I was thinking 5g in my head.  I should have a better idea tomorrow night.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

I will be honest, when I looked at the hops I was thinking 5g in my head.  I should have a better idea tomorrow night.

see - I have a tough time with a little bit hoppy beer.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

see - I have a tough time with a little bit hoppy beer.

I recall hops being the dominant flavor in that beer. Maybe not AIPA hoppy but a solid whack of spicy and floral noble character was in there. I also recall a very light but pleasant malt character was not too distant in the background. The beer was also quite light in color SRM 4-5 at the darkest. 

ETA: I'd bet I couldn't find that beer within 150 miles of here but Morty you may need to do some further "research" and pick another one of these up for yourself.

Edited by nettles, 06 August 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

I recall hops being the dominant flavor in that beer. Maybe not AIPA hoppy but a solid whack of spicy and floral noble character was in there. I also recall a very light but pleasant malt character was not too distant in the background. The beer was also quite light in color SRM 4-5 at the darkest. 

ETA: I'd bet I couldn't find that beer within 150 miles of here but Morty you may need to do some further "research" and pick another one of these up for yourself.

it's a good idea.  I know at least one restaurant that has it but it's $6.90/pint!!!  I can probably find it at a bottle shop though.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

just checked and I have a good sized vacuum bag of hallertau so that's good.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64048 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

Anyplace that carries Ayinger usually has it. I almost bought a bottle a few weeks ago but opted for the dunkel. Now i want some!

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

Really hard to say (and lets see why drez thinks after he drinks it) but maybe another ounce at 5 min?

That's where I'd start.

Not dry hopped, but I think a hop stand might be required to match what might be whirlpool hops in the original. 

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

this is very interesting.  I must be so hopped up typically I can't detect all of the hops in this beer!

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

Anyplace that carries Ayinger usually has it. I almost bought a bottle a few weeks ago but opted for the dunkel. Now i want some!

both are great.  how did you like the dunkel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users