#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

This was formed with Drez's standardish pale recipe as a starting point.  Just giving credit where credit is due.  So let me know what you guys think.

10 gallons

SRM: 5.12

OG: 1.055

IBU: 47

MALT:

11.750 lbs Pilsen

5.000 lbs US Pale Ale

1.000 lbs Caravienne

0.500 lbs Acid Malt

2.625 lbs Flaked Oats (quick oats)

mash at 152F (single infusion)

pH goal of 5.3

final water numbers:

Calcium: 105

Mg: 3

Sodium: 29

Sulfate: 206

Chloride: 60

Bicarb: 27

kettle hops:

0.6 oz columbus @ 90 mins

0.6 oz nugget @ 90 mins

1 oz chinook @ 5 mins

1 oz citra @ 5 mins

2 oz amarillo @ flameout

2 oz chinook (hopstand @ 165F for 30 mins)

1 oz citra (hopstand @ 165F for 30 mins)

ferment on US-05 (2 packets) @ 62F for a few days followed by slow ramp up to 68ish over a few days.

primary dry hop (after fermentation is mostly complete)

1.5 oz chinook for 4-5 days @60F

1.5 oz citra for 4-5 days @60F

keg hop (per keg so now we are talking about 5 gallons)

1 oz amarillo

2 oz simcoe

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 June 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

so def critique the hops.  I'm not great at hopping these highly hopped beers.  I usually just copy someone else :P

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 June 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

In my brewhouse the only thing I would do different is move those 5 minute and FO hops to the whirlpool. Otherwise looks spectacular. I know Amarillo and Chinook go together and I know Amarillo and Citra and Simcoe go together. So I think you have a great combination there. Also I have used that grist a handful of times now (sans oats) but don't think using oats hasn't crossed my mind. 

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

In my brewhouse the only thing I would do different is move those 5 minute and FO hops to the whirlpool. Otherwise looks spectacular. I know Amarillo and Chinook go together and I know Amarillo and Citra and Simcoe go together. So I think you have a great combination there. Also I have used that grist a handful of times now (sans oats) but don't think using oats hasn't crossed my mind. 

I'm still holding onto the idea of flavor hops.  is that on the way out now?  everything is pretty much post flameout?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

the oats I noticed in "epiphany" from foundation brewing company in ME.  the beer is fantastic and has a similar grain bill so I figured why not.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

Looks good to me. My next version will have oats or fb. I like a 10 minute addition but that is splitting hairs really.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Looks good to me. My next version will have oats or fb. I like a 10 minute addition but that is splitting hairs really.

I was on the fence on the 10 vs the 5 minute.  what difference do you think there is?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

I'm still holding onto the idea of flavor hops.  is that on the way out now?  everything is pretty much post flameout?

That how I like to do it. I should try the 10 min addition again sometime to see if I like it any better. In these APA/IPA type of beers (and sometimes saison) where the hop, it's complexity, and full expression of the oil content is the focus of the beer I'm just not sure boiling gives me anything good. I can get IBUs at 60 or even FWH. In fact I swear I got some weird flavors from boiling too much Citra between 20min and FO one time. Can't say for sure thats what it was but it's my best guess as the rest of that batch of Citra tasted great, used late.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

That how I like to do it. I should try the 10 min addition again sometime to see if I like it any better. In these APA/IPA type of beers (and sometimes saison) where the hop, it's complexity, and full expression of the oil content is the focus of the beer I'm just not sure boiling gives me anything good. I can get IBUs at 60 or even FWH. In fact I swear I got some weird flavors from boiling too much Citra between 20min and FO one time. Can't say for sure thats what it was but it's my best guess as the rest of that batch of Citra tasted great, used late.

hey let's not distract things here! ;)  drez and I were trying to determine the diff between a 5 and 10 min addition :P

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

hey let's not distract things here! ;)  drez and I were trying to determine the diff between a 5 and 10 min addition :P

You asked mofo!!

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

You asked mofo!!

I keed. I keed.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

So I didn't have enough pale ale so I went to use some vienna in it's place which I also didn't have enough of so I put in a dash of munich.

so that 5lbs of pale ale turned into 2.58 of pale ale, 2.163 lbs of vienna and 0.25 lbs of munich.  whoops!  guess I need to more carefully track my inventory.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

So I didn't have enough pale ale so I went to use some vienna in it's place which I also didn't have enough of so I put in a dash of munich.

so that 5lbs of pale ale turned into 2.58 of pale ale, 2.163 lbs of vienna and 0.25 lbs of munich.  whoops!  guess I need to more carefully track my inventory.

I do not think that will impact the beer that much if any. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

I do not think that will impact the beer that much if any. 

that's what I figured as well - I was surprised to be so low on pale ale though <_<

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Are you making this soon?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

that's what I figured as well - I was surprised to be so low on pale ale though <_<

I have been re-organizing my grain.  I think i still have over 200# of pale. I did just by 150 ( some pale and some pils) this winter though

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

Are you making this soon?

mashing in tonight.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

mashing in tonight.

git there!

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

I also premeasured out the hops.  instead of opening a new bag of columbus I just shifted the 90 min addition slightly more towards nugget.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

I also premeasured out the hops.  instead of opening a new bag of columbus I just shifted the 90 min addition slightly more towards nugget.

90 minute addition?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users