#1 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

We recently took a liking to moscow mules and a few weeks ago I took a stab at making a ginger beer. I fine grated the ginger and had about 2 cups that I boiled with a couple lemons and limes for a 1 gallon batch. It has a nice ginger taste and a good burn in the aftertaste, but it just tastes too one dimensional. I tired mixing with sprint to get more citrus taste and that was good, but still not what I'm looking for. Anyone got any good recipes or other ingredient ideas to suggest for my next batch?

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Some good reading here: https://www.brews-br...um-ginger-beer/

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Thanks. I never have luck searching the forum from my phone. I'm going to use brown sugar for sure. I may do a touch of pineapple, but I don't really want too much sweetness. I think I'll make some taster glasses and try some of the spices mentioned to see which one may have that flavor I'm looking for.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

I like to use sugar in the raw (raw cane sugar).  I think it brings the right complexity without being overpowering.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

I had a Barritts this afternoon and I think my homemade just needs a little sweetener. I'll try that first and then next weekend I'll try some of the spices mentioned in the linked thread to see if I like that better. Most recipes I found were just ginger, citrus and sugar. I can see I well under on the sugar from that batch I made (trying to keep the alcohol on the low side) and it fermented out completely. I think brown sugar or some of the other choices won't ferment out all the sweetness like table sugar does.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

I had a Barritts this afternoon and I think my homemade just needs a little sweetener. I'll try that first and then next weekend I'll try some of the spices mentioned in the linked thread to see if I like that better. Most recipes I found were just ginger, citrus and sugar. I can see I well under on the sugar from that batch I made (trying to keep the alcohol on the low side) and it fermented out completely. I think brown sugar or some of the other choices won't ferment out all the sweetness like table sugar does.

I generally have not actually fermented mine - I just force carbed in a 2L.  the few times I tried fermenting I used bread yeast - I would not recommend this.  beer yeast might work out though.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

I generally have not actually fermented mine - I just force carbed in a 2L.  the few times I tried fermenting I used bread yeast - I would not recommend this.  beer yeast might work out though.

actually this is a solid idea. I just thought that fermented would taste better but I can easily try a small batch without yeast. I did use bread yeast the first time as every recipe I saw recommended it. It cleared pretty well and I don't detect and 'yeasty' flavors in the ginger beer. I do like adding some gin to the ginger beer so I can still get my buzz!

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

Be careful with a ginger beer. It's really easy to go overboard. Guy in my club made one and it was damn near undrinkable. The fermentation went fine and there weren't really flaws, but it was so gingery and spicy that I couldn't hardly get a sip down without choking. 

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

Be careful with a ginger beer. It's really easy to go overboard. Guy in my club made one and it was damn near undrinkable. The fermentation went fine and there weren't really flaws, but it was so gingery and spicy that I couldn't hardly get a sip down without choking. 

I made mine strong on purpose assuming I could cut it with seltzer when I mixed a drink. I like the commercial versions, but they are a little pricey and the main flaw is they are like 300 calories per 12 oz serving because of all the sugar. I did find mixing my first attempt with sprite tasted pretty good so I'm sure I was mainly missing sweetness. I'm going to try diet sprite or maybe seltzer with more fresh lemons/limes.

Just like homebrew.... make a recipe and continue to tweek it until it's what you want it to be.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

when I was making it I found I could not put too much ginger in.  as a reference point - how do you feel about goslings?

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

when I was making it I found I could not put too much ginger in. as a reference point - how do you feel about goslings?

Yeah no kidding. I think my last batch I cleared out Walmart of all there ginger and it wasn't enough.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

when I was making it I found I could not put too much ginger in.  as a reference point - how do you feel about goslings?

Never had it.

The homebrewed one I had was so strong in flavor and spice that I was literally choking. Maybe if it was mixed with sprite it might be ok, but what is the point? It'd be like a 1.5% beer by the time the taste was right, then why drink it instead of getting a ginger ale that tastes good?

I don't really care, I'm not knocking the style, but I'd just say be careful about how much ginger you put in is all. That pretty much applies to any spice or fruit addition though.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Never had it.

The homebrewed one I had was so strong in flavor and spice that I was literally choking. Maybe if it was mixed with sprite it might be ok, but what is the point? It'd be like a 1.5% beer by the time the taste was right, then why drink it instead of getting a ginger ale that tastes good?

I don't really care, I'm not knocking the style, but I'd just say be careful about how much ginger you put in is all. That pretty much applies to any spice or fruit addition though.

I think we are talking about two different things.  There is ginger beer (usually just a very gingery soft drink or occasionally slightly alcoholic drink but still more or less a soft drink) and there is beer with ginger in it.  I believe in this thread we are talking about the former.

what ginger beers have you had?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 08 June 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

There is ginger beer (usually just a very gingery soft drink or occasionally slightly alcoholic drink but still more or less a soft drink) and there is beer with ginger in it.

and then there is this.

https://www.theguard...eal-ginger-beer

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

:shock:

#16 frankerector

frankerector

Perro Grande

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts
  • LocationHOLLYWOOD AND VINE!....Just signed a deal!

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:41 PM

Wow.

:frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users