#21 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

Is that you at the top of this page: https://www.bairdbee...ery-photos.html ????

No, that's the boss.You can find me in the customer picture section -- like here -- second from the top on the left. But that was six years ago. Or here -- forth from the top on the right with my dad, but that one was about five years ago, I think (the date is wrong).Once I get established in the brewery, the boss is going to work on updating the website with new pics and information. That's when I'll become famous. ;) B)

#22 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

Every great picture needs "that guy". 10 feet back, not part of the crowd but in the shot and intentionally so. Ironically he's got the perfect set of bunny ears on you and if that was his intention he's got good spacial perceptions.Posted ImageEdit: Still looking for Baird beers in the city. If anyone knows where, holla.

Edited by chuck_d, 21 April 2009 - 03:42 PM.

#23 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Definitely not a part of the plan! But, other than the woman next to me (a friend), who the hell are all those people?!?!? The memories are vague and fuzzy.

#24 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

Posted Image

Hmmm...Either..1. Devil Worshiper2. Gang MemberNot up on my counter culture signing.Can't tell which. ;)Edit- Oops, forgot.3. Punch press operator ordering four beers.

#25 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

Definitely not a part of the plan! But, other than the woman next to me (a friend), who the hell are all those people?!?!? The memories are vague and fuzzy.

more importantly - what are they drinking? ;)

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

No, that's the boss.You can find me in the customer picture section -- like here -- second from the top on the left. But that was six years ago. Or here -- forth from the top on the right with my dad, but that one was about five years ago, I think (the date is wrong).Once I get established in the brewery, the boss is going to work on updating the website with new pics and information. That's when I'll become famous. B) :cheers:

wait you aren't the famous cj? ;) I feel cheated :covreyes:

#27 thatleetboy

thatleetboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

So, I was in Boston for the Craft Brewer's Conference last week....Friday, I'm wandering the city. Stumble upon a special tasting by Shelton Brothers. I think there were 3, perhaps four different bottles from Baird... sadly, they had already tried those!But I was *that* close....Cheers

#28 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

Well crap! It would have been nice to hear what you thought of them. We're packaging our recent Shizuoka Summer Mikan Ale this weekend, most of the bottles will be exported to the States -- so there's still hope to pick some up later this year!

#29 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

Well, it's been about five weeks since I turned pro. The first week was just overwhelming -- talk about too much information. From the second week, I was put on "hyper-training," because the boss was going to the Craft Brewers Conference in Boston and I had to be ready to brew by the 20th. Super stress every day. But in the end, I managed to brew three batches during the week he was gone, two on our 250-liter system and one on the 1000-liter system. Since then, I've been doing everything at an accelerated training pace, and the past three days I brewed up three batches, plus assisted in transferring and packaging another couple of batches -- not to mention the cleaning. I'm brewing again tomorrow (Sunday) and probably three or four more times during the week. My level right now? Stress is down to 20%, confidence is up to 80%, competence up to 90%, and the beers I've made have all been fantastic (if I don't say so myself :cheers: ). I still haven't started designing our recipes, but that will be coming over the coming few months.Things that surprise/intrigue me so far:1. We pitch as much yeast as most homebrewers brew in a batch -- 20 liters for a big batch (big batch = 1000 liters, around 8 barrels).-- 1a. We throw away more yeast from one batch than any of you brew in a month. Today I threw out around 10 liters on top of the 20 or so that I threw away two days ago. Tomorrow, another 10 liters or so will go down the drain, and there was probably some more taken out on about day four. For a single batch, we throw away between 50-80 liters, generally, and for a double batch we can brew two or three beers and still have 50 liters left over.-- 1b. Even though it's the same yeast, it tastes completely different (yes, we taste the yeast every time we harvest or pull for throwing away) depending on the beer it comes from.2. Glycol is the bomb!3. Dry hopping for only 4-5 days, much less than most homebrewers do, I think.4. I actually like bottling -- and kegging.5. Hop diving at the end of the boil is hot, sweaty and sticky, and it's my favorite "dirty job." To hop dive, we have to climb into the kettle and pull out all the whole hops (no pellets for us) by hand. 6. There's a lot more -- and I do mean A LOT MORE -- to brewing than manning the brewhouse. And it's all part of being a brewer. Everyone always says to be prepared for a lot of cleaning, but cleaning (including sanitizing) is really only part of what goes on "behind the brewhouse."7. Adding hops is even more fun than when I was brewing at home. When I made our Black IPA a few days ago, I added "only" around 200 grams for three additions and only 150 grams for the knockout addition, and I felt somehow cheated that I couldn't add more.8. Being able to dump water/cleaner/sanitizer on the floor is just too convenient. The only thing we take pains not to spill on the floor is yeast, mainly because if it dries before we can clean it up, it becomes like concrete.9. Whole hops are filthy creatures! We break up the hops for our whirlpool and dry hop additions to expose the oils more, and by the time I'm done, my hands aren't only green, they're black too!I'm sure there are more, but right now those are the ones that come to mind. As I gain experience and confidence, the job becomes more and more enjoyable. The pressure is still there to perform every freakin' day, but the stress is waaaaaaaaay down. Even after 20+ years of being a lazy-ass English teacher, doing physical labor six days a week is somehow refreshing and wonderful. :devil:

#30 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to the club, dude! (At work reading gravities, diacetyl test, and cleaning up the blowoff from the Export IPA and Quadrupel we brewed on Thursday)

#31 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

Thanks CJ,I'll stick to engineering...That said, today we open up the 98KW HV supply and go oil diving to install a mod.Nothing like a five foot deep tank of mineral oil and hoping you don't drop anything.First time for me. We get to wear insemination cloves. You know, the ones that go to your armpits.Yep we will lock out/tag out the beast, getting bit by 39KV isn't something to look forward to, or survive.And you thought hops were nasty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users