22 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

So I have some Wyeast 1728 that I'd like to use pretty soon. I already have a 80 shilling so I don't want to make a Scottish Ale. I notice that this is suggested for Winter Ales which is something I've never made but would like to try out. I'm just looking for a good winter ale type beer to use this yeast in - thoughts?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

Another option I'd consider is an ole ale although I'm not sure I've really had an example of this before so I don't know if I'd like it...

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

So I have some Wyeast 1728 that I'd like to use pretty soon. I already have a 80 shilling so I don't want to make a Scottish Ale. I notice that this is suggested for Winter Ales which is something I've never made but would like to try out. I'm just looking for a good winter ale type beer to use this yeast in - thoughts?

What about a Wee Heavy? Similiar to a 60~ but can also have a lot more alchol and malt. Just a thought

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

What about a Wee Heavy? Similiar to a 60~ but can also have a lot more alchol and malt. Just a thought

That sounds a lot like an 80 shilling :cheers:

#5 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

1728 is really flexible. You could use it in just about any English/Scottish style and have it work out.For an old ale, why not start out with a favorite IPA recipe but go darker in color and bump up the malt? Mebbe ease up on the finish hops a bit?

#6 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

https://www.wyeastla...tail.cfm?ID=143 sugestion list from the man... edit... Imperial Stoout GOOOOOD :cheers: :facepalm:

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

https://www.wyeastla...tail.cfm?ID=143 sugestion list from the man...

yeah - that's what I was looking at actually but I figured you guys might have some alternatives. I think I like the sounds of an old ale. How long do these have to age for? I'd like something that would be ready while it's still cold out.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

That sounds a lot like an 80 shilling :cheers:

Nah !! maybe a 90~ Go big .. 1.090 or bigger .. throw a little oak in there and let it age a few months. In the Jamil book he does a Christmas beer with the base of an old ale. He adds some spices and what not. That may be one to look at. Also, What about a barleywine. Maybe just MO or GP and a bunch of hops?

#9 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

yeah - that's what I was looking at actually but I figured you guys might have some alternatives. I think I like the sounds of an old ale. How long do these have to age for? I'd like something that would be ready while it's still cold out.

Given these options. the higher your starting O.G. the longer it will take to finish. but all in all if a week or two won't kill ya than go with it. an old ale I always think of using the brett and flat taste. this yeast can take some punishment up to 12% so don't be shy ...

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

Nah !! maybe a 90~ Go big .. 1.090 or bigger .. throw a little oak in there and let it age a few months. In the Jamil book he does a Christmas beer with the base of an old ale. He adds some spices and what not. That may be one to look at. Also, What about a barleywine. Maybe just MO or GP and a bunch of hops?

This huge beers scare me a little bit. I'm not sure when I like if things taste "hot". Can this be avoided with big beers? I know some commercial examples I've had can be a little hot.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Given these options. the higher your starting O.G. the longer it will take to finish. but all in all if a week or two won't kill ya than go with it. an old ale I always think of using the brett and flat taste. this yeast can take some punishment up to 12% so don't be shy ...

oh - the primary time is of no concern to me. it's how long I have to age it afterward that I'm thinking of. edit: most of my beers get aged at least a month in secondary

#12 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

oh - the primary time is of no concern to me. it's how long I have to age it afterward that I'm thinking of. edit: most of my beers get aged at least a month in secondary

than you should be fine any way you go. a month will be fine in secondary. I made a huge Czech triple IIIPA . it's now almost 6 months old in the keg and on tap. very nice beer I must say it has chaged since first tap. the "Hot" can be there if the Abv is High. mine is that way due to the spicy czech hops and the abv being almost 12% the 3lbs of honey you can't even taste. Don't be scared of big beers they are fun and worth what ever the wait. cheers

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Another option I'd consider is an ole ale although I'm not sure I've really had an example of this before so I don't know if I'd like it...

If you can get a 4 pack of North Coast Brewery's Old Stock Ale, it's a great example of a nice 11 to 14% ale (vary's year to year and it's designated by year as well). I don't know if you'd be able to get it back there or not, but it's a fantastic beverage. I think it would likely steer you towards brewing an Old Ale.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

If you can get a 4 pack of North Coast Brewery's Old Stock Ale, it's a great example of a nice 11 to 14% ale (vary's year to year and it's designated by year as well). I don't know if you'd be able to get it back there or not, but it's a fantastic beverage. I think it would likely steer you towards brewing an Old Ale.

Anything from this list fit the bill: my local bottle shop

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

This huge beers scare me a little bit. I'm not sure when I like if things taste "hot". Can this be avoided with big beers? I know some commercial examples I've had can be a little hot.

I think you can get away from the "hot" taste if you ferment it cooler and give it some time to mellow out. A little cold conditioning between brew time and drinking time will let it all mellow out. I am a big fan of fermenting on the cooler side.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think you can get away from the "hot" taste if you ferment it cooler and give it some time to mellow out. A little cold conditioning between brew time and drinking time will let it all mellow out. I am a big fan of fermenting on the cooler side.

my basement is down to 63.5 now and it's only going to get cooler in the coming weeks :cheers:

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

my basement is down to 63.5 now and it's only going to get cooler in the coming weeks :cheers:

Perfect time to brew that big beer and let it ferment on the cold side.

#18 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

I was leaning towards the old Rasputian. but the old Stock ale would be a great choice. I have not yet had that one. they are hard to find.I am sure there are a few "clone" receipe's out there . basement temp is good. just set in warmest corner and cover the the wife's favorite blanket. :cheers:

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

I was leaning towards the old Rasputian. but the old Stock ale would be a great choice. I have not yet had that one. they are hard to find.I am sure there are a few "clone" receipe's out there . basement temp is good. just set in warmest corner and cover the the wife's favorite blanket. :cheers:

warmest corner??

#20 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

I think it would make a fine Old Ale. A Strong Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy is similar and also a good idea.The Old Ale I brewed up recently at the Schlafly Taproom goes a little something like this:45% Munich Light45% Pale 2 Row5% Special B5% Flaked Wheat1.5lbs Dark Brown Sugar per 10 gallon batchTOG: 1.07640 IBUsNeutral Bittering hopEnglish hops for flavor and Aroma(Not much of either)It finished right around 8% ABV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users