#1 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:53 AM

I've recently gotten my old converted chest freezer up and running and hooked up 2 kegs via a manifold. My 1st 5# tank ran out quickly so I started the process to isolate all leaks. Everything downstream of the regulator was given the soapy water test and submerged in water...all connections that bubbled were tightened. Still fearful of losing another tank of gas, now a 20# tank ($45 for an exchange sounded high to me?), I started turning the tank off when not in use. My shut off value is leaking but I broke that down, lubed the washer and retightened everything...it's temporary fix but it seems to be working. However, the high pressure gauge goes from roughly 700 psi when the tank is opened to 0 after a few days, even with the tank closed. The low pressure gauge seems to be holding pressure ok, although it actually increased as the LP gauge decreased. Is this a sign that my regulator needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

I never thought I would say this but I think I miss bottling...I've wasted so much time on this over the past couple weeks...

Thanks!

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

I've recently gotten my old converted chest freezer up and running and hooked up 2 kegs via a manifold. My 1st 5# tank ran out quickly so I started the process to isolate all leaks. Everything downstream of the regulator was given the soapy water test and submerged in water...all connections that bubbled were tightened. Still fearful of losing another tank of gas, now a 20# tank ($45 for an exchange sounded high to me?), I started turning the tank off when not in use. My shut off value is leaking but I broke that down, lubed the washer and retightened everything...it's temporary fix but it seems to be working. However, the high pressure gauge goes from roughly 700 psi when the tank is opened to 0 after a few days, even with the tank closed. The low pressure gauge seems to be holding pressure ok, although it actually increased as the LP gauge decreased. Is this a sign that my regulator needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

I never thought I would say this but I think I miss bottling...I've wasted so much time on this over the past couple weeks...

Thanks!

Were it me, i'd look at getting a new regulator.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

I have struggled with this myself. One issue is that the nut on the regulator seems to REALLY need to be cranked down tight. I bought some fancy CO2 washers (made of brass and rubber) to make sure that the seal is tight. It also appeared that some of my kegs had very slow leaks so now I double-check the pressure relief valve on every keg and make sure it's tight and every keg that gets filled gets keg lube on the big o-ring. Any keg in question is cleaned & pressurized and then I come back to it in a week or two and if the pressure is good, I assume I have found the issue. I just got everything to a point where I'm comfortable in the last few months... before that I would lose a 5# tank here or there after only being in service for a week or so. I always leave my tanks on. Also, Starsan solution is famous for bubbling up so I have a spray bottle filled with it and use that to troubleshoot any leaks. Good luck.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

I'm at the point where I take care of major leaks, but don't sweat the small ones (defined as it takes weeks to budge the high pressure gauge when tank is off). I have a lot of gas equipment (5-6 primary regulators, a few secondary regulators, a couple manifolds, etc.) and I don't want to have to chase down small leaks. I have also had gas systems that were completely leak free for years and then develop a leak and drained a tank once. Also considering that I have 14 taps, trying to maintain a gas system to support that many kegs to stay leak free over the years seems like a full time job in itself!

I always turn off my tanks and disconnect my gas lines now though. I have standardized to 20# and 50 # tanks, so I really don't want to deal with a leak developing that drains a whole tank.

I do leave all my empty and ready to go kegs pressurized, and my test before sanitizing to use is to see if it still holds pressure. I have about 90 kegs, so I can't keep track of each individual keg, so this is what I have decided to do. I also only replace poppets with universal poppets and lid o-rings and post o-rings with silicone so it is really easy for me to tell visually when I've replaced something.

Edited by gnef, 06 June 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#5 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Any suggestions on a regulator? My LHBS can get a TapRite for $70 and an "economy" regulator for $45. I'm not really sure of the differences since they aren't in stock and I can't really look at them. A shut-off valve will be an additional $17. I would rebuild the regulator if I was confident that it would fix the issue.

#6 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

Not much to offer (I've had mine for many moons), but i'd suggest a dual-guage for sure.

httpss://www.amazon.com/Taprite-T742HP-Primary-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B002UZUJ22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496782246&sr=8-2&keywords=taprite

Edited by Bklmt2000, 06 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Any suggestions on a regulator? My LHBS can get a TapRite for $70 and an "economy" regulator for $45. I'm not really sure of the differences since they aren't in stock and I can't really look at them. A shut-off valve will be an additional $17. I would rebuild the regulator if I was confident that it would fix the issue.

Those prices seem really high to me, the link that bklmt2000 provided is more in range with what I would expect for a taprite regulator. Taprite regulators are good regulators and will last for many years, and they also have rebuild kits available if you ever need them.

Do you know the current brand of regulator that you have right now?

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

This one has been flawless for me for years.

httpss://www.amazon.com/Kegco-KC-LH-542-Premium-Regulator/dp/B003WX772G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496788091&sr=8-3&keywords=co2+regulator

#9 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

Best I can tell, the regulator is made by Cornelius. At least that's what the UL sticker indicates.

#10 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

I bought this one recently and like it: httpss://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J44ILA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users