#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

You think S-05 would be cleaner and crisper than 34/70?

If you like peaches in your beer....

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

still haven't gotten that!  but no, I think 34/70 is slightly cleaner.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

may have to get some of this omega bayern lager yeast sometime.  i'll have to check if there is a local LHBS that has it.  I hate shipping yeast if I can avoid it.

eta:  looks like I'll be ordering it online if I want their yeast.  ritebrew the best place?

This yeast has some 2124 character to it but it also has a touch of what I liked about 2782 Staro. It's hard to explain but there is such a great character to this yeast... if it's the same yeast.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

This yeast has some 2124 character to it but it also has a touch of what I liked about 2782 Staro. It's hard to explain but there is such a great character to this yeast... if it's the same yeast.

so what you are saying is it could be my favorite lager yeast?  I really need to get my hands on staro again.  i made a vienna lager with that - could have been one of my best lagers.  so crisp and delicious.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

The 2352 that I had last summer was so good that I think I used it in 6 consecutive beers. I think I also retired it and then was peeved for tossing it and then remembered that I had a beer in secondary with that yeast so I racked that beer to a keg and then harvested the 2352, made a starter with it and used it in another batch of helles. Really nice yeast. My only concern is its age. If I make the starter and get to the point where I'm adding the yeast and it smells problematic, I'll go grab the 2278 or 2308 that I have.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

The other thing I should mention about this yeast is that I used it in a ton of different styles and it worked beautifully in every one... dunkel, helles, pilsner, a sort of festbier, a pale bock, a Mexican amber lager/dark lager kind of thing, etc. I could say that about 2124 too.

#28 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have never gotten peaches

still haven't gotten that!  but no, I think 34/70 is slightly cleaner.

Ya got me leanin toward the 34/70 for this batch

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

The US05 apricot-peachy thing seems to come from fermenting the beer cooler than the yeast likes. I think we established that once before. I like to ferment ales at the lower end of the range so 62-63° for US05 may get it creating some esters. If you used it a little higher... 65-68° you may never experience it.

#30 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

The US05 apricot-peachy thing seems to come from fermenting the beer cooler than the yeast likes. I think we established that once before. I like to ferment ales at the lower end of the range so 62-63° for US05 may get it creating some esters. If you used it a little higher... 65-68° you may never experience it.

The only times I've gotten peach from US-05, and fermenting below 60, was with older/less than optimum slurries of US-05.

Otherwise, i've found the health of the yeast is the main criteria to avoid US-05 becoming peachy; fermenting below 60 is a far lesser concern.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

I have gotten peach from it from 60-70F.  Maybe I'm just sensitive to it.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

The only times I've gotten peach from US-05, and fermenting below 60, was with older/less than optimum slurries of US-05.

Otherwise, i've found the health of the yeast is the main criteria to avoid US-05 becoming peachy; fermenting below 60 is a far lesser concern.

Huh. So maybe I was fermenting in the low 60s with less-than-healthy US05. I have not used it many times but this one blonde ale was so fruity that people were asking me about the fruit in the beer, how much I used, etc. As a result I pretty much stopped using it. 1056 or WLP001 are just fine for me and I have an extra pack of S-04 which made some tasty ales here earlier this year. I can use that if I need "neutral" dry ale yeast.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Just finished making the starter. 2L with about 7 ounces of DME. The Bayern lager yeast looked and smelled great so fingers are crossed that it gets active and is ready to rock. My plan is to brew either Saturday or Sunday and if by some chance the Bayern goes downhill or something doesn't seem right, S-189 is standing by to help.

#34 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

1056, 001, and S04 are all excellent, and very clean, yeasts, no question.  And I'm not a pom-pom waving US-05 fanboy either. 

Some of you may recall a batch I posted about earlier this year, where I used a fresh pack of US-05 on a beer, that for some uber bizzare reason, never cleared.  Didn't even start to taste ok until the keg was nearly gone.

While i chalked that up to a bad pack of US-05, (possible thread derail) my recent experiments w/ 34/70 indicate it could be a suitable sub for US-05 as an ale yeast.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

1056, 001, and S04 are all excellent, and very clean, yeasts, no question.  And I'm not a pom-pom waving US-05 fanboy either. 

Some of you may recall a batch I posted about earlier this year, where I used a fresh pack of US-05 on a beer, that for some uber bizzare reason, never cleared.  Didn't even start to taste ok until the keg was nearly gone.

While i chalked that up to a bad pack of US-05, (possible thread derail) my recent experiments w/ 34/70 indicate it could be a suitable sub for US-05 as an ale yeast.

I think we've all had some shruggable moments where we have no idea what happened on a certain batch. We may have a run of yeast for 3 or 4 batches and one of them (in the middle of the run) will be off and the others are fine. It happens.

One last thing: I have no idea if this Bayern Lager yeast is really the yeast I used last year called 2352. I think Neddles mentioned that it was the same yeast and it may just come down to the quote From Munich's oldest brewery... and people know that's Augustiner. Wyeast made that claim and so did Omega so I'm hoping. I'll report back after I taste this recipe I put together and try to determine if it's the real deal or not.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

I have gotten peach from it from 60-70F. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it.

Or I am impervious to it. I gave tried to get it to throw peaches and have no luck. I think it would work good under the right conditions.

#37 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

My next on deck batch will be an amber Czech lager. That yeast would be great here. Probably Castle Pils, Pale Ale, Munich, Caramunich II to color. Crapload of nobles.

Polotmavé Speciální Pivo: 5.3 - 6% (13-14° Plato)

An amber lager, roughly in the Märzen style (some breweries still use that term, or at least the Czech translation "Březnové pivo"). Full-bodied, malty and with those lovely Czech hops much in evidence.

#38 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

Or I am impervious to it. I gave tried to get it to throw peaches and have no luck. I think it would work good under the right conditions.

agree

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53822 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Update: Approaching 48 hours since I made this starter and there is NO activity. I realize the yeast was older so I'm not panicking but I'm wondering what you guys think about the time frame. I have 2278 and 2308 which could be dumped into the starter. I hesitate to do that but I would really like to brew this weekend. Either day would be fine as the weekend is wide open but it's starting to look like it might be Sunday just based on what I'm seeing.

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Stir plate? 48-hours with zero activity doesn't seem right to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users