#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Any of youse ever have 34/70 start throwing sulfur 24 hours into the primary?

I know lager yeasts can throw sulfur after a few days into the primary, but i've not had one get this sulfury this soon.

It's fermenting at a solid 59°F, so I expect this one to be done with the main ferment pretty soon; could this be the reason for the early sulfur (vs. fermenting colder, say b/w 48-50°F)?

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

It sometimes will run me out of a room even when closed inside my fermentation fridge. Really stanky. No worries brah.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

If 34/70 is a dry version of 2124, the sulfur is normal but for me it happens after a number of days closer to 50°. I typically pitch at 50° and put it in the fridge and it might be 3-5 days before I detect sulfur. My guess is that the 59° brought on the sulfur quicker.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

I find sulfur to be normal for a lot of lager strains.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:55 AM

I used 34/70 for a quick lager Vienna and then the cake in a doppelbock with no sulfur in either.  Began ferment at 50 and ramped up after high K without issue.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

I used 34/70 for a quick lager Vienna and then the cake in a doppelbock with no sulfur in either. Began ferment at 50 and ramped up after high K without issue.

I've had it go both ways sometimes smelling pleasant and yeasty, sometimes rotten as an elephant's ass. No idea why it does this. All my ferments are temp controlled fermented from 50-58F depending on what I'm fermenting.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Well on 4/1 I'm doing 10 gallons of Jamil's Vienna, half with 2x 34/70 and half with 2x S-189. If that doesn't peak a chance for rotten elephants ass then what does? :)

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Well on 4/1 I'm doing 10 gallons of Jamil's Vienna, half with 2x 34/70 and half with 2x S-189. If that doesn't peak a chance for rotten elephants ass then what does? :)

When we were talking about this the other day I recalled fermenting my first lagers years ago and wondering what people were talking about with sulfurous odors as I had never noticed any and I was using W-34/70 exclusively. Somewhere along the line it decided to get stanky on one batch to the point to where it would run you out of the room. Had me wondering if I had been crazy and not noticed it before.

When it stinks, it really stinks.

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

When we were talking about this the other day I recalled fermenting my first lagers years ago and wondering what people were talking about with sulfurous odors as I had never noticed any and I was using W-34/70 exclusively. Somewhere along the line it decided to get stanky on one batch to the point to where it would run you out of the room. Had me wondering if I had been crazy and not noticed it before.

When it stinks, it really stinks.

Truth.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

So, 3 days of nice yeast aroma during fermentation on my latest batch. Opened the wine fridge door--boom W34/70 rhino farts! It's ramping up pretty good as I had to refill the airlock.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:13 AM

Hard to explain the way I feel about lager yeast throwing all that sulfur. It's really strong in some cases and when I open the fridge door and smell it, that aroma goes out into the beer bunker, the storage room next to it and eventually out to the rest of the basement to the point that someone will come downstairs, take a big sniff and then look at me funny. :D But... eventually you end up with delicious lager beer so that sulfur phase is doing something and maybe your delicious lager wouldn't be the same without it so... embrace the sulfur! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users